Champions League Semi-Final: April 18, 2012 - FC Barcelona v. Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Introduction not needed

We are all aware of the history between these clubs and while I hope several will be open minded towards opposing/outside posters, those posters looking to create problems or cause reactions will be dealt with swiftly.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    A 1-0 will do nicely, but I just don't know if we can keep them off the scoreboard.

3. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I just want us to compete and show that Chelsea fighting spirit. Getting embarrassed at the Bridge is not acceptable.

4. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D day baby!!!! lets paint the world blue!!!!

5. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Not conceding a goal is key. Of course, against Barca, that is an extremely tall order. Our defense will need to be top notch, especially along the right channel and toward the middle where Messi does those magical 1-2 touches with his midfielders. If Luiz is out, it'll obviously be Cahill-Terry with Cole and Ivan on the flanks. I think we'll see a very similar lineup to the Spurs match. I think RDM likes Kalou and his defending over Sturridge. If Drogs is fit, I'll take him up top as long as he's willing to give 100%.

6. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    To be honest our best chances against spurs came off the counter, and it's no secret that we suck in the final third when we retain possession which will be hard anyway against a team like barca.

I'm not saying park the bus, but if we d up hard and hit em on the counter we can win this tie.

Either way this will be the game of the season, hope it ends well for us.

7. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    Is this really on FX HD and not Fox Soccer?

8. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats what i heard

9. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Danny Stud,Torres,Malouda, Mata, Bison Essien, Ray Mears, Cole, JT, Cahill, Bane, Cech[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Any combination of a Clean sheet result for the Blues. Can't afford to give up any away goals. I still believe the strikeforce of Torres-Stud w/ Mata in the hole is the best option for the Blues. Bring in DD in the 2nd half to lay down to hammer of Thor on the Barca back 4. This could happen.

10. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/04/16/chelseas-change-in-defensive-system-under-roberto-di-matteo/

11. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    There is only one man that Barca will genuinely fear, and that's Drogba. I expect Chelsea to stay very compact + narrow and play a direct game up to Drogba. Chelsea will need to be patient, but Drogba is the best in the world at causing havoc to top teams on little service.

Good luck Chelsea.

12. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    *Sigh*

Here we go again. Hoping for the best.

13. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Here's how I would play:

[​IMG]

Extremely defensive but what other options do we have? Drogba is going to be key, as will Ramires's energy and pace on the break. Mata can always create something and has really become excellent and holding up the ball and finding the right teammate to spring a break, despite his lack of size and speed.

Mikel and Lampard are automatic choices in midfield for me, and I've gone with Essien because he is a big-game player and we don't really have anyone else to stick into that midfield. Meireles against Barca would be a disaster.

Torres and Sturridge should be ready to come on at a moment's notice. Di Matteo cannot hesitate to make a sub, especially if we fall behind or simply cannot get out of our own end.

14. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I like this, but if we were to bring on Torres, I would take off Lampard or Mata, instead of Drogba, as Drogba does pretty well at defending set pieces and is always a constant thorn in the side of Barca's defence.

15. SwissBlue

SwissBlue Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Fribourg
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There are 3 ways to play Barça IMO.

1. The high pressing game a la Real. But we don't have young athletes with the necessary skill and energy to execute this strategy.

2. We could try El Loco Bielsa's strategy. A few weeks ago Barça played Atletico Bilbao and as soon as a Barça player was in possession the Bilbao players tried to man-mark all available passing options. The player in possession was challenged in the hope that he would be forced to look for a pass and give the ball away. Its a nice tactic but again it takes a lot of work and energy.

3. Our best bet, given the team we have, is to stay narrow and compact as the poster suggests. We should forget about trying to contest midfield. As in 2009, we need to lump the ball over midfield to a target man, Drogba or Torres (I'd prefer Drogba), and hope that he can either use the ball himself or he can lay it off to a Mata, Ramires or another player in a useful position.

But Barça have Lionel Messi. He was mortal last Saturday, played what I thought was his B-game, but still got a brace. If he brings his A-game to the Bridge then he is simply unstoppable, short of kicking him off the park as Sergio Ramos once tried to do at the Bernabeu.

We'll need the Gods to smile on us AND we'll need our run of good fortune to continue. So who knows ? Fingers crossed....;).

16. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  17. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Er, Barcelona had ONE shot on goal in the entire game. . .over two legs they scored one goal, in injury time. We paid for it by the Barcelona 12th man - UEFA.

what a wanker. Or is that Wankerinhio or Wankerez. :p
    Whatever it is Spanish or Catalan or whatever made up country they are from.

Every one has advice. . .
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17656980

18. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Yeah, definitely, lack of courage.. we feared them so much that we created about 5 penalty opportunities that were not given..what a joke Alves is.

19. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    Will Drake be at the game?

20. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Are they available in London?

[​IMG]

21. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D:D

22. scabdirisaq

scabdirisaq Member

Jun 24, 2007
    BK Park
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Somalia
    The closer the game gets the more I seem to be losing concentration in everything i do. did anyone simply stop doing what they were doing at work and thought about the tactics, team selection, etc randomly... just every 20 mins, the game flashes right in front of me, and I am celebrating goals left and right. ahh.. I hate day-dreaming during work... but not when chelsea are involved.. :p

23. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    in da same freakin' boat

Same here...I am totally amp for tomorrow...I ready informed the Boss I can't make it to work...I don't know how I am going to cope on the 24th:confused:

24. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: in da same freakin' boat

yea.... been thinking about the possibilities of this match and what direction it can go.

25. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Re: in da same freakin' boat

well one thing is for sure...barfa can't complain about the pitch:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYrjlk42ILA]Blues News Afternoon Edition[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCb_thSgh1o]Blues News Evening Edition[/ame]

[​IMG]