Champions League Quarter Finals: April 8th, 2014- Chelsea FC vs Paris Saint-Germain FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Apr 6, 2014.

1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/4/9/5597330/chelsea-vs-psg-tactics

2. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the sentiment, but this is why I appreciate the Premier League rule prohibiting it outright, not leaving it up to the parent club's discretion. I think it protects the player. What if a Courtois howler allows Chelsea to advance over ATM? He may be subjected to unfair speculation and potential criticism at his club, football fans being what they are. If its up to CFC, its a lose-lose imo - we look bad if we refuse, but may put the player at risk by allowing it.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I suspect we will not permit Courtois to play against us if drawn that way

4. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although he got injured early on I truly think we played better without hazard on the field. I feel that we rely on him too often to be the play maker and just give him the ball. Once blondie came on we were more dynamic.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  6. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If it is up to us, I'd imagine the same… not that I agree. I would prefer he plays just so we don't have to hear shit from the entire planet about how we couldn't beat Atletico full strength. :rolleyes:

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm... maybe!

Maybe it was more a matter of covering the one or two matters he could in the appropriate time and leaving it to the general principles he'd already covered in training.

But I DO think his attitude to the mental approach is significant and light years better than most other managers.

8. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We will give control again. It will just piss him off more and will be difficult to retain him if we bar him from playing a CL semi-final.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, good shout... if we stop the guy appearing in a CL semi-final it could prove DISASTROUS for our relationship with him.

10. USChelseafan#1

USChelseafan#1 New Member

Dec 13, 2013
    RAF Lakenheath & Stamford Bridge
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow, that game reminded me so much of the Napoli game a few years back and coming back from 2-goal deficit. Mates and I went got tickets for the game and no words to describe the emotion and euphoria during that 87th min. I done near got trampled and hugs all around and been celebrating all night and this morning. Went to work this morning hungover and half asleep. Gratz to all the Chelsea fans and looking forward to the next draw. Lower West Stand, Row 4. I WAS THERE!!!

JediSoccer, Wrath, The Cold Sea and 3 others repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lucky bastard! ;)

12. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    I agree and if we didnt it would look churlish. Besides didnt we let him play against us in the SuperCup? It wont be down to Courtouis whether or not we get to the finals. Our deficiencies in midfield/strikers will count much MUCH more than that IMHO.

13. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    What's the deal with Courtois? How much say does Chelsea have?

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    all of it

if they want him to play he will

if they do not he wont

also interested to see what UEFA have to say but IIRC they have allowed other players to play against their parent clubs

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But it raises an interesting point, doesn't it... if he DOES drop a clanger, there will be claims of something unrderhand happening.

I mean, the tin-foil hat brigade are out in force anyway... they don't need any encouragement.

16. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jealous as hell.

17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So much pessimism with this Courtois semi-final talk.

It'll be the final where a call will have to be made by Chelsea on Courtois :D

18. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    #218 Juanele, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we DID face them in the final and he made a blunder for us to win, can you imagine the screaming and shouting there'll be?

Still, I'm sure we can expect a warm welcome when we go up to get the cup...

[​IMG]

:eek: :D

20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What is the fee out of interest? It must be a whopper if it's even remotely close to the difference in prize money that's at stake.

NB: Difference in winning a semi and losing is at least EUR1.6m. Difference between winning and losing the final is EUR4m.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Surely you're not suggesting that twitter might have information that's not correct, are you?:cautious:

NAH! I'm not having that... that can't be right :mad:

:eek: :D

22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Haha.

My Spanish is a little rusty so relying on our new friend to elaborate on the reference to a fee being the reason. If there is a clause where he is outright not allowed, that's one thing, but this latest implication is that any drive to not play him would be financially driven, which was news to me and interesting if true.

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  24. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank you sir. And yes, that fee is a whopper!!

Still it does mean that Chelsea haven't outright banned it and that Atletico will have elected to choose money over a greater chance of success.

Blimey, not often one has one's questions answered on this site. I normally only come here for the abuse.

25. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    yeah Atletico in no way can afford that kind of money, especially for just 2 games.