Champions League Quarter Finals: April 2, 2014- Paris Saint-Germain FC vs Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Mar 31, 2014.

1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    game on FoxSports 1 at 2:45 p.m. EST

game on FoxSoccer2Go at 2:45 p.m. EST

game on SkySports 1 at 7:45 p.m. GMT

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'd take a 1-1 draw.

3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This. We play to our competition. Seems to me we had our eyes in this match at the weekend.

4. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Would take that as well.

We seem to play "up" to our opponents this season which gives me some confidence.

5. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hope PSG haven't watched us this season and give us all the possession.

6. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm calling an edgy 1-0 win to bring that back to the Bridge.

7. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    To be honest, its kinda hard to get excited about this. I really just wanted to be the last team in Europe but stupid Moyes/Rooney beat Olympakios. We arent winning it this year and many (!) of our players need a rest especially with the summer coming up so if we lose the tie, oh well. Its weird if we were still in the title hunt it would be different as we would be after some improbable double but as that isnt happening, screw it.

8. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So negative^

9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A loss to Crystal Palace will do that yo you coupled with Liverpool winning at the weekend.

I kicked my neighbors dog.

10. Sloth

Sloth Member

May 4, 2011
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was confident against Arsenal and I was confident against Spurs, I am confident about this game. I thought the Palace game had 0-0 draw written all over it, instead we lost.

Not sure if we will win the first game, but I'm certain it will be us who qualify. We are a tough side and we wont make it easy for anyone PSG might have a very good strike force but we will be there hardest game they've played yet.

11. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm in this boat as well. The kicker for me is, PSG haven't had real competition yet, domestically and in Europe. I'm a very big fan of Ligue 1, but the wages this club are on compared to the rest of that league are astronomically different. Monaco aren't even close to PSG yet. There is a lot of class and talent there but from side to side top to bottom, no one comes close to us.

It'll be tight at the Parc de Princes, but I think we get at least a draw. Home leg could be different.

Sloth repped this.
  12. Sloth

Sloth Member

May 4, 2011
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly, we are not disrespecting PSG, they are a quality side and it will be hard to contain them. But we are solid as a unit, Jose knows what he is doing.

Ibrahimovic hasn't shown up against English sides in the past either, I think the 4-0 against Arsenal was the first time he scored against one. But having said that he is believed to be having the best season of his life so lets not underestimate at the same time.

13. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He and Cavani up front bring some concern, but really they aren't better at the back and in midfield. I'd take their midfield over ours, but it isn't a gulf of class say like it is up front.

We need one of Oscar/Willian/Schurrle to match Hazard in this match. If we can get another threat out of that group, we can cause havoc.

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    hopefully Hazard will be extra motivated for this one

15. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To the PSG crowd it's his debut for a 4th time.

This match has all the makings for him to run wild.

16. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am expecting us to come out of the draw after the two legs on top. Our club always has a great mentality and spirit in big matches and with Jose at the helm he knows how to keep the players motivated for these kind of matches. I am expecting a draw but we may get a 1-0 or 2-1 win which would be fantastic but I'm seeing a 1-1 draw written all over the 1st leg.

Don't be so negative man! 5 games and we are champions of europe. If we come out of this match with PSG and get Barca / Athleti in the Semi's then we have a real chance to make the finals. 1 match against Bayern or Madrid, odds would be 40% or so in our favor. Remember how good we played at the start of the season against "the best team in the world bayern" who had to score in the last minute of ET to beat us in PKs.

17. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If we play one of Real/Barca/Bayern we are fecked. Those sides will mop the floor with us. I think if we get Yanited, BvB, or Atleti I like our chances.

18. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    After the shit that went down in 2012, this teams capable of anything.

19. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I really don't think if we play any of those three we will get dominated. In a home and away tie it will be harder but in a single match anything can happen and with this squad I think we have the mental toughness and if our players show up we can do great on the counter.

20. eriol

eriol Member

Dec 15, 2005
    NOT Pacific Grove, CA anymore
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barca has never mopped the floor with us. No way does that start now.

schafer repped this.
  21. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To be Frank I think we will do well against the reals and barcas with our pressing. It is the stokes and crystal palaces that worry me.

cokeyounut repped this.
  22. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed, but it does worry me a little since every time we've contained them it was with a 4-3-3 where we were pretty lightning on the counter.

23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    we played 4-2-3-1 during our CL run, and more importantly, we defended with two banks of 4. though, to be honest, i don't remember specically the barca games, but for the most part, we played 4-2-3-1 under RDM.

that being said, we're a whole different animal than we were at any other time we've played them really. we're not the powerful 4-3-3 or the extremely defensive 4-2-3-1. granted the difference between the latter is a little bit more personnel based now, but it's still quite dramatic.

24. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    I believe we played some variation of an 8-2-0 against Barca under RDM, but Ramires still somehow managed to play left and right winger, right fullback, central midfield, and (for one glorious moment at the Camp Nou) inside forward over the course of the tie.

eriol and cokeyounut repped this.
  25. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Unbelievable how many times comments like this were made during the 2012 season on this message board. It's a tournament, if you are still in it, you have a chance to win it!

cokeyounut, eriol and Wrath repped this.