PBP: Champions League: Manchester United v CFR Cluj; 05 December 2012

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JC7rox, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    That may have been another time but I distinctly remember Ba and Ameobi being shunted out wide with Cisse up top during a game. I don't think Newcastle started that way but they ended like that.

2. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rocket shot from outside the box, brilliant crossfield pass to switch up play, or ugly hack job?

3. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For me yes, RVP is definitely a 9 and nothing more, Rooney's best work is also in the final third, we were remembering Teso and he said Rooney is 9.5 and it could not have been said better.

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Horrible overall. Jones was ok but not much else. Disappointed that Buttner didn't do much e.g. near the end had a chance to put in a good cross but he continually comes inside and crosses with his right - I thought he was left footed.

Draw for Round of 16 is December 20. Doesn't matter much who we'll get, we're sure to go out if we continue to play like this in the CL. We're only through because our group was probably one of the worst ever the in CL. Well maybe not, last year's was worse :p

5. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How did they play, I mean what were their attack patterns?

6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Shakhtar, real madrid, ac milan, celtic, valencia, porto, and Arsenal.

7. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i'm surprised that macheda is still clinging on, does he just lack ambition? he could be a surefire starter for an italian club (i know his loan was messed up) or be a regular for a bottom half EPL team.

mame biram diouf realized that he was never going to get regular minutes for us and moved on with his career. seems like he's doing quite well for himself too.

8. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    They focused their attacks down the wings with Ba and Ameobi seeing lots of the ball. Didn't work too well...

O_O

9. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    please just don't draw real, cristiano is going to make rafael cry.

10. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    Porto, Milan, Real Madrid, Shakhtar, Valencia or Celtic
    You edited it and still got it wrong. Arsenal isn't possible.

11. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but I think every 2nd place team is really hoping to draw us.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  12. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Amazing strategy.

They are trying to keep both Ba and Cisse happy by playing 442 this time and you cant play two 9s in this day and age, end result they could be a relegation scare away.

13. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sunday should be fun on here ... :eek: go thing I am going to pub for it

Invincible repped this.
  14. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yup, it is either Scholes Giggs and Fletcher or Jones in midfield, two of them if we play three there, amazing combo.

15. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    this is semantics but i could see rvp doing exactly what villa does for barça on the right. he's not fast but his touch is immense, he makes decisions very quickly and he can fire missiles. just like at barça, it would be up to the RB (rafael/alves) to do the running for him.
    this is again trivial, but i wouldn't expect a LW to do work anywhere but in the final third. i think rooney WAS a 9.5. to me right now, he can be anything from an 8, 10, or 7/11. i can't even remember a single instance where he played 9 for us this year. all the strikers play there before him.

16. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Even if this was in any sense true (which is not by anyway, RVP is totally different type of striker to David Villa), Barca has Messi to do all the running the ball dribbling you know, you are asking whoever our new 9 would be to do.

Rooney is not a 8, which is an attacking midfield who plays deep, Scholes in his deep role, he is not a right sided winger, he is not a left side winger, he is a striker who plays deep, he is not even Ronaldo level flexible, he doesnt not have the middle game to even be a 10 which requires lesser transformation than a 8/11.

If you expect LW to be only in the final third, what do you expect a traditional 9 to do, someone like Lewa, go deep ping balls, take on players?

17. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i don't know about that. we see every single minute that mufc plays. we haven't played good football but other teams also see 37 league goals in 15 games and striking duo of rooney and rvp. i mean, only barcelona and bayern are scoring more than us in europe right now.

18. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    dude, you need to stop twisting my words. "rvp being able to do what villa does on the right for barça" is not equal to "rvp is the same type of striker as villa". if that's what i meant, that's what i would have said - i interpret regulations for a living lol.

i also wasn't talking about what rooney is but where rooney played. the former is subjective, the latter is not. you also have a tendency to sell him short. for example, he leads the league in assists right now. i don't believe it has been mentioned yet on this board, i could be wrong.

basically, fitting rooney in any scheme is the least of my worries. imo that's one of his best quality. and, as opposed to some other united players, playing in a different role is never an excuse for his performance.

EDIT: i can't believe i let myself get sucked into another another argument. sorry, syed.

19. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We as United fans are spolit ...simple as that. Nothing wrong with it but we are spolit. I think everyone can agree with that.

We have been utter dog shit this whole season and yet we are top of the league by 3 points and won our CL group . perspective is a word I think we all have to look at.

Am I happy how we are playing , hell no but turn of the new year I expect that too change as we always play best football in the 2nd half of the season

Regarding tonight....I never expect it to be more than a run out and that what it was.

Cevno, johno, Stud83 and 2 others repped this.
  20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I fully agree with you NM.

I shudder to think how alot of United "fans" react after a potential few years outside the EPL battle when SAF leaves.

21. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Syedzada is hilarious in this thread.

Just forgot to blame Vidic somehow. Slacking....

22. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the goal. Y'all got Scholes'd today, no shame in that.
    [​IMG]

Invincible repped this.
  23. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Longest post of the year from NM, rep worthy :D

benni..., johno and Bronaldo repped this.
  24. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Every year we make the highlight reel by being on the wrong end of a goal :thumbsdown:

25. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That comparison of the goal to Scholes V Barcelona was spot on.