Champions League, Group Stage (R)

Discussion in 'Olympique de Marseille' started by MetroChile, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Brandao turned a bunch of losers into potentially champions last year, and for that, I'll never booh him. Marseille with and without Brandao are two different teams. And did you see Morientes form ? Oh, man ...

2. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I didn't get to watch this game though I've read all sorts of dismal things about it. Did any of DD's subs make any impact, or did they fit in too well with the team already on the field?

3. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Getting back to this Brandão topic. I think this guy is the right fit for this team. In a perfect world both Cisse & Nasri would still be on this side & this side would be unstoppable, but for both cases they did not want to remain w/ L'OM. Hell, just think if Ribéry would have remained. Remember it was only three seasons ago when all of these guys were on L'OM. Where is Dr. Phil when you need him the most:rolleyes:

4. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    ^^^ drogba too if he hadn't been forced out of OM by the high ups

5. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...did that just happen? We need to find a way to play in the Swiss league next year. Then maybe we'll win something.

6. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Re: L'OM vs FC Zürich (R)

Are you kidding me???? 6-1???:confused:

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Just goes to show you that missing you supposed best player (Lucho) doesnt mean anything.

8. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played with more heart than in just about any other match this season, I'd say. I mean, there was also some degree of luck (which the football gods probably owed us), but if we always played with that degree with intensity we'd win...a lot more often.

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Will a win at home vs RM and a draw in Milan be enough to go through ?

10. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but I think the fact that we lost 3-0 to Real the first time around would make that path much less likely to work than beating Milan and drawing Madrid.

(Of course, beating them both would leave us top of the group. And that would be just a little bit awesome. And very unlikely.)

11. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    I jizzed when Cheyrou scored. He always hits the post.
    That wasn't the best game ever, but we won with 6 goals. Good.

12. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha. Yes, Cheyrou's goal was quite nice. And you're right, he hits the bar A LOT.

13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Did Bakari Kone's return to the line-up help make such a diff.? :eek: I ask because I missed the game due to work.

14. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think so. But I like Baky a lot, and perhaps that means I'm not the best person to ask.

He and Mamad combined quite nicely on the third goal.

15. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Little impact on the game unfortunately but great assist on Mamadieu (little joke with Mamadou and Dieu (=god) in french)'s goal.
    I love this guy. And Brandao too.
    (but not Abriel)

Ha, and I want Taiwo back. You can't pass the ball to Heinze, he's technically horrible and doesn't know how to cross.

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Ben Arfa and Morientes didnt even get off the bench. Those guys are pretty much dead weight now. Looks like Valbuena has earned Dechamps confidence and has firmly positioned himself ahead of Ben Arfa in that regard.

17. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Ben Arfa deserves a place, in a dream world, we would play with Valbuena, Niang, Ben Arfa and Brandao together at the same time on the pitch.

Morientes ... Since he can't run anymore, you know ... I still don't understand why we took this player. I have a lot of respect for him but the best is behind him now.

18. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure why Taiwo's not been playing. I've been busy, and not really keeping up on the news as much as usual, but...is he hurt at all?

19. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    We pay Heinze a lot of money, he was recruited by Deschamps who wanted to cut from Gerets' Era but he doesn't deserve a place as a CD (I always said that Hilton was great personnally), and since Taiwo hasn't been very good lately, he took his place ...
    But a good Taiwo is way better than Heinze. He can run and throw a decent cross at least.

20. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    very nice win. It will definitely be a challenge but I hope they put out their best effort in both remaining matches

21. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I said this when the deal went down, but L'OM needed a #9. Morientes was the only thing L'OM could afford. I think Van Nistelrooy would have been a perfect option for this club. I think RM wanted way too much & could not get him :(

22. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    fyp. :)

23. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    i've always thought OM should go after gignac, that guy plays good in a quality team

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    who doesn't? best player in L1 this year, last year, arguably the year before too.
    serviettes et torchons. i hate this guy. he comes up with some impressive plays but wastes full half his chances with stupid fouls or offsides. most 12 year olds know the rules of the game better than he seems to.

NUMBER ONE ANSWER!
    [​IMG]

25. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Is head to head the 1st tie breaker in the group stages? I'm assuming it is seeing as how some teams have qualified when they could mathematically end up level on points.

If this is the case, the next game is a MUST win for Marseille. That would put them at 9 with Milan on 7. Then a draw should be fine with Real while an AC Milan win v. Zurich (lightning can't strike twice, can it?) would put Real at 11, L'OM and AC Milan at 10. The next decider would be goal difference. So unless Milan blows out Zurich we could slip in there for the KO stages.

So many frustrating feelings about this because if L'OM could have held Milan to a draw on that 1st match day, or if Real could have beaten Milan on either of their 2 matches against them, we'd be sitting in a much more commanding position right now.