Champions League, Group Stage (R)

Discussion in 'Olympique de Marseille' started by MetroChile, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Chosen Lord

Chosen Lord New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    NYC, Madrid
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A pity would be if he didn't get some sort of suspension for that brutal tackle. If he got the ball it's because an earthquake destroys everything in its path. That guy had no intention of going after the ball the way he knocked CR9 down. :cool:

Here's what happened, CR9 scored a clever goal under the panicking Mandanda and OM were deflated and defeated. So instead of being focused like they were before the goal, they simply just vented out their frustrations on a team that is clearly superior to them. If you can't beat them, just injure them, especially their best and most expensive player.
    Maybe that will take some of the sting away from the defeat. How's that sound? Great tackle? :rolleyes: How about a great cheap shot?:mad:

2. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    going toe to toe was bad idea. they simply dont have the experience nor the man power to go head to head

a defensive approach with counter would have been better

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    first of all you can rest easy; red = suspension period. the length is another question.

my opinion is very close to yours, but less cynical. diawara very much intended to get the ball and the tackle was in fact a pretty good one, but he went in much too hard. no question the biscotte is deserved.

and he was venting frustrations. had he been a little more rugged on cr on the previous play he would have been more lucid on this one. he was all the more upset because at the time the goal happened they were not looking inferior at all, and all hopes were permitted up to that crucial mistake.

diawara is no choirboy, but he's no joey barton. he had no intent to injure, of that i'm sure.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'm not sure. let that much firepower monopolize the ball and inexorably very bad things happen.

5. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I agreed: totally bullsh!t PK call. Essentially, it came down to "God forbid someone touches CR9 near the box". Horrible call by the ref: as Nico said, Diawara got the ball.

6. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I too am of the belief that it is time to start worrying about Lucho. I mean, he's been back for a handful of games and hasn't really produced much of anything. I remember seeing him play for Porto last year and even thought LOM got the better of the Porto signings (compared with Lopez signing for Lyon), now I'm pretty sure that they didn't I would love to be wrong about this but he has been uncomfortably quiet in his appearances. Fortunately, the shot at 2nd place in our group is well within grasp. FC Zurich is overacheiving and AC Milan is about to bottom out and implode so there is still hope but anything shy of 4 pts out of the 2 matches v. Zurich and I would say it's time to start talking Europa League.

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    :confused:He's played 3-4 league games and has had assists in at least 2-3 of them and this was 1st CL game. The criticism is a bit harsh and premature.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    he's had at least two assists and scored a goal... but they all came in a period of 15 minutes whem he almost singlehandedly destroyed montpellier... to prove he has hella talent! but if a striker can arguably be measured by a stat goals scored, a midfielder can't be evaluated by simplistic yardsticks. of the 5 matches OM has played with lucho i've seen 4 of them end to end, and outside his 15 minutes of fame at no time has lucho looked inspired, motivated or particularly talented, even against montpellier he was vey imprecise, almost lackadaisical in the first half hour, and he disappeared entirely in the second half*. sure, with your team 4 goals up you can lay off, but on the whole the tag sticks.

it's obvious he has talent. and there's more chance than not he'll start showing it eventually. but right now he hasn't arrived, he's not even on his way. he needs a sea change if he's going to come good.

* which didn't stop l'equipe from frontpaging him and singing his praises in four columns.

9. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lucho is obviously a good player, but he's taking longer to settle than anticipated. It also didn't help that he had to sit out injured for a month, thereby missing out on a time that his teammates spent in getting used to playing together. I'd wait a while longer before writing him off.

10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I hate to say it, but I dont see OM getting 6 pts. from Zurich now and without all 6 they are screwed.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i originally thought OM was going to make a superb showing in this group, but judging by their first half against monaco i don't see them getting any points off anybody. :eek:

12. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I get the feeling that this has to turn for the better, and fast. Perhaps the international break will be a good thing for DD and the boys to get things back on track. I think that 4 points would be okay because it would put OM at 4, Zurich at 4, and I can't see Milan getting anything off of Real so they'd be on 3. At that point, it's a dogfight for points so it's still in reach.

13. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    today is win or die, i will be disappointed if they can't pull a victory after all the upsets that are happening in uefa

14. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    What did you say Nostra ?
    3 pts. But it was absolutely and dramatically ugly.

15. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Get out of your linen & starting grinning...L'OM pulled out one!!! :D Awesome week!!!

16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hopefully, the team turned a corner: 2 wins, on the league and on the CL. :cool:

Did Heineze play today? :eek:

17. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He scored the only goal my friend :D Played as LB for the first time this season.

18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Holy sh!t!!! :eek: :eek:

19. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    And for the last time I hope.

20. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Heinze has 2 CL goals so far and thats more than Brandao I think.:)

21. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    And more than Niang too.
    Honestly Heinze, except the goal of course (thanks !), looked terrible. I hope Deschamps had his eyes opened, and will do a team like that for sunday :

Bonnart--Diawara--Hilton--Taiwo
    -----------Mbia----Cheyrou----
    -Valbuena--Ben Arfa-- Niang--
    ------------Brandao---------

But i guess this is too sexy for him, and that he will bring some Cissé or Abriel ...

22. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Is it me or does Brandao always find ways to miss the easiest chances on goal? :eek: :confused:

I like it. :cool:

23. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    i think we luck a proper finisher

24. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    Brandão is a nice player,but...I said before,I don't think he has level to play at Ligue 1 as a starter (maybe at lower clubs,but not a Marseille or Lyon for example).

We need a "Romário", someone made only to score and nothing more.

25. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I thought that was Niang:p