Champions League Group Stage: November 7, 2012- Chelsea FC v. FC Shakhtar Donetsk - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Nov 4, 2012.

1. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    .@TNCProject
    IT's OFFICIAL! UEFA confirm Chelsea are 2nd place NOT 1st. Shakhtar remain 1st with Head to Head coming before goal difference

2. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    but we beat each other o_O

3. Gio-13

Gio-13 Member

Aug 26, 2007
    watching skywalkers
    Club:
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk
    Congratulations.

4. Shwegeh

Shwegeh Member

Jul 17, 2007
    My guess is head to head away goals?

5. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    vicmo:cool:

fernb8 and schafer repped this.
  6. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    love the lil guy

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Overall, we can't be pleased though.

8. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What a wonderful, beautiful, gutwrenching, awesome, agonizing, thrilling game this football can be. As proved by us and others today.

9. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Shahktar is a really bad matchup for us, it looks to me. They swarm, are quick, and so disruptive. They make teams look bad. Juve was nothing like Shahktar when at the Bridge.

That said, we can play better.

addicted2chelsea repped this.
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some of the others did well too ;)

11. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fern will have my arse if I mentioned any others so I kept it generic. :speechless:

12. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    man, what a suck-up :eek:

:D

14. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    dude, are stalking me! cuz im pretty sure thats my dog in your sig

[​IMG]

15. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA

16. Union Pensioner

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Uefa handbook for 2012-2015

17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Made me think of this

Wrath repped this.
  18. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    this was quite apparent in our game that Shakhtar set out to attack down our left flank by driving a player through the middle and drawing the DMs/CDs and then laying the ball off to the overlapping player, Srna most of the time who was not being tracked

we had almost a perfect storm of struggles down our left side with Ryan appearing to be niave in his space by dropping inside far too often and getting his body angle wrong, Ramires struggling to find his space on the defensive end on several occasions, and Luiz going on walk about and overcompensating for his mistakes

this is why I do not subscribe to the "we have Ryan so Ash can go" thought process. I dont mean to be harsh on Ryan who is still learning the challenges of playing at a high level but we saw tonight how much we miss a player like Ash who imo would have been quick to shut down the pass and take away the attacking angle from Srna and most likely win the majority of the 1vs1 instead of leaving Srna alone on the flank with acres of space

I have also never been a huge fan of Ramires in the pivot as for me he seems to struggle with the spacing as the majority of our DMs have between the gap between the CDs and DMs but he seems to be catching on a lot quicker than I expected

and Luiz as many has pointed out seems to be struggling over the past few weeks- interesting that timeline coincides with a certain defender who is very good at organising the defence being out of the team. Just my opinon but Luiz seems to be the type who wants to compensate for making a mistake which is very admirable but concerning at this level where a player has to remain focused on his role instead of going on solo missions. I think this is something which Luiz will finally kick as he has gotten a lot better in not trying to win every tackle (with a few exceptions tonight) but he still has a way to go on the defensive priority side imo.

19. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  20. Passage

Passage Member

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    If we get rid of Cole we won't win jack shit this year. How many goals do we concede on average a game already!? Do any of you really think we can afford that?

21. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am. I thought the match was fantastic. If all matches were played with such spirit. Shakhtar were excellent; a well-oiled machine that can really play. They're a settled squad full of confidence with some outstanding players. We were also excellent to match their intensity and what a winner. I'll take this match over the twin 0-0 draw Chelsea had with Liverpool in the group stages in 2005. The fans who came to this match got their money's worth for sure.

The Other MJ repped this.
  22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    While the match was exciting, our back 4 were terrible. There is no way we can go on like this and expect to win trophies. Yes, Shakhtar is a very good team, but to have them score identical goals on us is unacceptable.

23. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh yeah, we got issues to take care of, but it's good to get exposed sooner rather than later. Once the match was in motion I was enthralled.

24. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Think Nando has it right...

Blueallthru and The Other MJ repped this.
  25. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Somewhat disagree. Bertrand was awful and Luiz was all over the place, but both goals were because the midfielders did not pick up runners. Our team defending needs to improve.

Cahill was maybe our MOTM and Ivanovic was quite good.

fernb8 repped this.