Champions League Group Stage: November 20, 2012- Juventus FC v. Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Nov 19, 2012.

1. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    New players, new style, new style, and yet the same problems remain, the team loses the ball too easily in the final third and when it does not contrive to conceding possession chances aren't taken. The sitting mid's don't sit (at least not in RDM's formation) and when they try to push up to constrict the opposition players there caught to far forward. If the it were possible to meld Mikel and Ramires into one player and duplicate them that would be a perfect sitting pair but I don't think this double 6, pivot is working. I agree with those calling for return to a 4-3-3.

Also, in terms of off the ball work, the reason why Barcelona are successful with their style is because the entire team presses so when off the ball, when its conceded, starting from the front 3/4 (be it Messi, Sanchez, Iniesta, Fabregas, Villa, etc), they press from the opposition box to the center circle. If the opposition wins the ball they're hassled and haired from behind and the pair of Xavi and Busquets is pushed to the center circle to close them down from the front. The swarming tactic allows them to constrict possession and restrict it to the opposition half. The front 4 have improved on their individual workrate, but there is not team pressing. To many players are caught on their heals "chasing players" rather than pressing them. I think a bit more of synchronized movements in term of pressing/pressuring would improve the team capability of regaining possession and creating a vice on possession. Shaktar Donetsk employed that tactic did very well both of Chelsea matches against them.

fernb8 repped this.
  2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Gah! That's all I can say.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    This was so bad.

Europa league I guess.

4. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    It's been a long time since I've seen Chelsea get defeated this comprehensively. Juventus were superior in every part of the pitch and at no point did it look like we were deserving of a victory. During some of our more recent classic comebacks, or controversial sendings-off, I always had strong belief that we could turn any situation around and end up with the victory, but I never had that feeling last night. The game was clearly over after the 2nd goal. Did anyone else feel like this? I'm even sure we had a chance at goal after they scored that one. My goodness.

Dear_Claudio repped this.
  5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    what was I saying about chicken little

(shakes head)

6. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Not sure if you're referring to my post directly, but I was commenting on the match specifically, not the state of the club or our season for that matter.

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    no mate nothing to do with you

having a laugh at myself for praising the lack of knee jerk on this board compared to the Chelsea board ;)

lobomojo repped this.