Center back situation

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FawcettFan14, Apr 17, 2014.

1. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I think I heard (can't verify this, with U.S. Soccer's patchy new website) that some combination of Sauerbrunn, Engen, Rampone and Van Hollebeke started every game during Tom Sermanni's tenure. With the latter two injured for at least the next month, Ellis will need to think about this for the Canada game. Maybe longer. Who else should be considered?

LePeilbet is still out, and I'm doubtful she'll play for the U.S. again anyway. Looking around NWSL, Kallman and Taylor are two that come to mind. Perhaps Julie Johnston, who will likely get time at center back for Chicago. We've all had our eyes on Cari Roccaro since the U-20 World Cup. Maybe she gets an early look?

2. EbaJones

EbaJones Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    FFC Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what I have seen, baring injury, Sauerbrunn and Engen will start. Frankly, they need some other players to work into the back up positions given age, injury and ability of the back ups. Sauerbrunn has teamed with Krieger many times and they are a very solid duo on the right side. However, with the left back position in limbo, you could see Becky move to CB on that side to add strength and stabilkity which would team Engen with Krieger. Of course they played together for Tyreso. In the last WC Rampone and Krieger were right side early on but Rampone moved over some matches to strengthen the left side. I think it would make sense to bring in several players to challenge the CB current roster players. I only see Becky as a firm starter in so much as Engen still has positioning lapses too often. At this point (way, way early I know) Krieger and Sauerbrunn are the only two back line locks.

3. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I'd like to see Roccaro get a call up. She's a fantastic CB... Kallman and Taylor as well.

I'm not sold on our LB situation either, seems this has been a weak link for a while. Even when Ohara is healthy... I think we need another solid option.

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I'd like to see Dydasco get a call up. (might as well call up all the UCLA juniors at this point, right? ;))

ForeverLOST108 and Smallchief repped this.
  5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I would love to wear a wig, and be the next USWNT center back.
    I still have some speed left, and I am not shy to stick my nose in on a meaty challenge.
    You can call me Martha. Give me a wig, and some Pure Silk, and I'm good to go. :ROFLMAO:

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Kallman is a little too inexperienced to call up right now, and as much as I think Taylor should have gotten another chance, hands off until the season is over.

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I'm not sure Kallman has the speed to play at the senior level.
    Julie Johnston may have to settle for being the team's DM in the future, as her best case scenario.
    But I still like Abby Dahlkemper in that "converted" (DM) role at some point.
    She's so much better when she can react, and not have to make crucial "decisions".
    If Johnston had a little more speed, she'd be a phenomenal center back.
    But speedy international forwards can run by her. Same for Kallman.
    Roccaro has better speed.

8. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I too like Dydasco: small, quick, and active. She'll run more miles during a game than any other player on the field. I loved the comment of one announcer about her game,"She's touched every blade of grass on the field today."

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Which is why I've already given her the nickname of "The Lawn Mower".