Celtic FC 2012/13 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Jul 14, 2012.

1. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are absolutely prioritizing the CL ahead of the SPL and will be saving players. I also agree with that approach 100%. Easy for me to say sitting here in the USA and not paying for a ticket that doesnt show the best team - so I can understand the frustration of local fans as well.

Sorry to hear that Ambrose/Mike have not been training with the team. I guess we won't be seeing them next week then? Would they have gone straight into the top squad anyway? I guess thats up for debate until Neil sees them in action.

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think NL sums it up pretty well here -

Celtic manager Neil Lennon: "Our short term focus was on the Champions League. We've sort of tip-toed through the first four games."
    "Now we've got a chance with the window over as well. We can really set fire to the season."

3. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The fans are fine with it. Infact, it's refreshing to see young players like Tony Watt and Filip Twardzik being given a chance to shine. And you're 100% right, the CL qualifiers had to be prioritised.

They may feature against Benfica but I doubt Miku will appear today against St.Johnstone. Got a feeling that we may see Lassad given his debut though.

I'll go for the following line-up

Forster

Matthews
    Wilson
    Mulgrew
    Izzaguire

Forrest
    Brown
    Wanyama
    Commons

Hooper
    Lassad

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fraser,
    are you attending any of the CL away fixtures?

5. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...well, now competition slapped us in the face! Loss today at St. Johnstone 2-1

I didnt get to watch the game, but have been reading some match reports and commentary on Twitter and TalkCeltic.

Full strength lineup for Celtic: Forster; Lustig, Wilson, Mulgrew, Izaguirre; Forrest, Wanyama, Brown, Commons; Hooper, Miku

Apparently we scored 3 min into the game, but could not hold the lead. New signing Lassad also came on as a sub for Brown late. Brown tweaked his hamstring, no other injuries that I am aware of. Yellow card for Mulgrew

Full story: http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=3087

Don't forget to check the "SPLofficial" Youtube channel for video highlights later

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    At least St Johnstone is a really strong team.

Wait...

Dyvel repped this.
  7. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he he he.. yeah. going to be a crazy season in SPL...

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    No. No away day trips planned this season.

We were dire. Best team by a mile won. Scoring so early was probably the worst thing we could have done. I think the majority of the team thought it would be easy street after that.

Too many starting to believe the idea that the SPL is going to be a cake walk. Nothing's easy, especially if you don't put in the necessary effort.

Our defence was a shambles all day long. Every one of our 3 centre backs was easily man handled by Tade. Izzaguirre continues to look a pale shadow of himself in attack and defence.

Scott Brown worked hard for 60mins but started tiring. A midfield two of Brown/Wanyama is not going to offer any creativity meaning it all has to come from the wide areas but when we constantly knock long balls from back to front we aren't allowing the wide players to get any sort of foothold in the game. Forrest was extremely quiet yesterday anytime he was on the ball. Obviously Commons scored a nice goal and was probably our most productive attacking threat all game long. Although he needs to start trying to pick out passes a bit more instead of going for goal every time he gets a glimpse of the keepers eyes.

Hooper faded extremely badly in the second 45, as did Miku but at least he had a reason for it. Hooper, and the teams sluggish start in the SPL is a matter of concern but I expect a vastly improved performance on Wednesday night against Benfica.

9. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point on the lack of creativity from a Brown/Wanyama center. Trying to think who in the current squad might alleviate that - Kayal maybe, once he's fit again?

10. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "High"lights of the St. Johnstone game here:

Both of the SJ goals looked to me to be on Lustig.

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Ki was the only centre mid we had with creativity. Brown, Kayal, Wanyama and Ledley are all fairly similar although I would say that a Ledley/Kayal partnership would be better for possession football.

The only way to have any creativity in the middle of the park now is to put either Commons or McCourt in the hole.

I wouldn't blame him entirely for the first goal. Gordon Strachan made the point on TV that Izzaguire is too far advanced on the other side of the pitch therefore couldn't get back in time to provide cover in behind Mulgrew. And Mulgrew had a stinker in general and allowed Tade to turn away from him far too easily on the edge of the box.

As for the 2nd goal, I can see your point. Lustig could have closed the space down quicker and not allowed Vine the room to get a shot off but it was a very nice finish.

12. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord, how could I forget Paddy??? Talk about creative - I'd love to see him get a CL run out.

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Celtic - Benfica UEFA Champions League Group Stage - Matchday 1

Team news for Celtic for tonights fixture -

Players out

Joe Ledley
    Beram Kayal
    Georgios Samaras
    Paddy McCourt
    Filip Twardzik

I think NL would have wanted a 3 man midfield but with both Ledley and Kayal out he may have to opt for a 4-4-2 such as

Forster

Matthews
    Wilson
    Mulgrew
    Izzaguirre

Forrest
    Brown
    Wanyama
    Commons

Miku
    Hooper

But Efe Ambrose is in the squad and he could make his debut which may allow NL to deploy Mulgrew in midfield...

Forster

Matthews
    Wilson
    Ambrose
    Izzaguire

Mulgrew
    Brown
    Wanyama

Forrest
    Hooper
    Commons

Or he could drop Izzy, who has been struggling for form so far this season and put to Mulgrew to LB which would allow Ambrose to slot into the middle.

Some OPTA stats -

Only Porto (17) have played more Champions League campaigns than Benfica (8) among Portuguese sides.

Celtic have lost only two of their 20 Champions League games at home, both against Barcelona.

Benfica have lost their two Champions League trips to Celtic, conceding four goals and failing to score a single one.

Benfica have won only four of their 26 Champions League away games.

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    C'mon the Hoops!!! :)

Damn, it's not easy to follow 2 livesteams (Chelski vs Juve) at the same time...

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very pleased with what I saw in this first half against Argentina's branch. :)

Also tremendous atmosphere at Paradise. :thumbsup:

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Didn't follow the 2nd half anymore (my stream died, so I concentrated on the "Chelski vs Juve" game). Did the guys manage to keep up the good performance of the first half, @ frasermc? Anyway, I think this draw is very ok when knowing about the opponent's quality.

17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well as you probably know it finished 0-0 and, while it will never be remembered as a classic, it was good to have the Champions League anthem playing at Paradise again.

Benfica pressed us more in the 2nd half but as the game wore on I thought we may have went for it a little more and tried to knick the win. NL did bring on Gary Hooper for an out of sorts Izaguirre with about 20mins to go but, to be fair, both teams could have played for another hour and not looked like scoring.

Overall though, considering we are a young team that fielded 10 Champions League debutants last night, I was happy enough to get a point on the board. I believe this team can go away in the CL and gain points on the road so there is plenty to play for.

Incidentally, Scott Brown was absolutely immense last night. Wanyama also, although he did have to hold back a bit after being booked in the first half.

We'll be a better team once the new guys (Miku, Lassad, Ambrose) have bedded in and we start to get our injured players (Samaras, Ledley, Kayal, Stokes) back as they will offer more options in attack, which is the main area we were lacking in last night.

Borussia repped this.
  18. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Some other teams news -

Apparently after the Ramsdens Cup result, Alistair McCoist has hired Kate Middleton's lawyers to try to stop the press posting pictures of his tits in public.

Edit: When I'm talking about Ally, I should use his new nickname, The Snowman. You go to sleep at night hoping he's still going to be there in the morning.

Gordon EF repped this.
  19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Celtic 2-0 Dundee

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/celtic-2-dundee-united-0/

A sluggish start from the team but two good goals from Gary Hooper and Victor Wanyama gave us the 3pts.

And as a bonus Lassad had a promising home debut. Also good to see young Dylan McGeough getting a run out after his recovery from the injury he suffered in the pre-season friendly against Real Madrid.

Nice to see Big Rab still proving to be an excellent shot stopper in the twilight of his career.

20. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Scottish Communities League Cup - 3rd rd - result

Celtic 4
    (Hooper 12, 37, 58, 60)

Raith Rovers 1
    (Walker 28)

No highlights I can find and I didn't see the match but it was obviously a comfortable enough victory with quite a few plus points such as ...

+ Hoops scoring 4. After his goal at the weekend and this 4 goal salvo it looks like he's kick started his season at last
    + Young team with players such as McGeough, Watt, Rogne all getting a start
    + Efe Ambrose made his debut and played the full 90mins
    + Beram Kayal started and was subbed out by Joe Ledley on the hour mark. Good to see both players making a return to action

21. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fairly big game to kick off in 10 minutes at Motherwell, who are sitting top of the table right now (Celtic has one GIH).

Starting lineup announced via Twitter:
    Forster; Lustig, Wilson, Ambrose, Izaguirre; Forrest, Brown, Wanyama, Mulgrew; Commons, Hooper

22. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really good good so far at the half. Celtic lead 2-0 after a fantastic ball from Commons passed over the top of the defense from midfield to Hooper. Hooper takes it from the air on the run, one-touch and slots it past the keeper.

Followed a few minutes later by OG for Motherwell on a cross by Brown. Motherwell was looking good for the first 20 minutes or so, putting some pressure on Celtic (no real shots on goal that I recall though).

Let's see what the 2nd half brings.

Really enjoyed the commercial advertising the 125th anniversary special kit:

frasermc repped this.
  23. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final score 2-0 Celtic

One player sent off from Motherwell and Celtic was in total control in the second half, but no goals to show for it. Terrible penalty kick taken by Brown and saved by Randolph.

Samaras, Ledley and Miku came on late. Sami looked good and I hope to see him start in Moscow Tuesday.

One other note - really embarrasing dive taken by Forrest in the 92nd minute. Not what I would want to see from a Celtic player ever!

24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well stated! Commons pass was perfect. Hooper's run was timed with precision and his
    1st touch was world class. They could have tried that 10 times on training ground and maybe nailed it ONCE the same way. :thumbsup:

25. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights of the match below. Commons/Hooper sublime goal at 1:40 mark