Celtic FC 2012/13 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yes, makes no sense. It would be better with white or green-white stripes like their jersey.

3. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed.i wish they would turn that all black away kit into a all green 3rd kit...

4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Ross County - Celtic

12.15pm KO

Celtic Team (3-5-2)

Forster

Lustig
    Wilson
    Mulgrew

Matthews
    Kayal
    Wanyama
    Ledley
    Izaguirre

Commons
    Samaras

Subs - Zaluska, Rogne, Watt, McGregor, Slane, Keatings, Chalmers

Injury sees as without Stokes, Hooper, Murphy, Brown, Forrest, McCourt, McGeough and Bangura and with the crucial Champions league qualifier looming midweek we'll be hoping for a clean bill of health as well as the 3pts that are on offer.

5. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Kris Commons spares our blushes with a 93rd min equaliser in a 1-1 draw in Dingwall.

Not the best preperation for Tuesday. Suffice to say I'd imagine NL has hit the nail on the head when he stated that a lot of the team looked to have one eye on Tuesday's match.

At least we have no new injury worries ahead of that and players such as Brown, Hooper and Forrest will come into contention to start.

6. Transatlantic

Transatlantic Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Bit of a scare.

7. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no shit. espn game center said 2 minutes of stoppage and he score in the 93rd?

8. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to keep the thread going Fraser! Rest assured, you are not alone in your support of the Bhoys here!

HUGE game in about two hours. Unfortunately, I will be coaching my son's flag football team and won't be able to watch or really even sneak a peak at the score. Maybe that's for the best as I tend to get worked up about two things: Celtic and Texas Tech football.

9. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great win for Celtic today! I caught some of the highlights on Footytube and it looks like we played an outstanding game overall. Interesting to see that aspiring US International and former Rangers player Alejandro Bedoya was playing for Helsingsborg.

Appears that the game was pretty wide open and could have been something like 4-2 or 4-3 but for some nice saves from Forster and a couple Celtic shots off the woodwork.

Heres to a safe injury-free game next week to conclude the tie and move on to the group stages!

frasermc and IvanIV repped this.
  10. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    We had the perfect start to the match with Kris Commons taking his volley beautifully. But Helsingnborgs dominated the rest of the 1st half but were forced to go in behind at HT due, in combination, to an excellent performance from Fraser Forster and their inept finishing.

We were much better in the 2nd half and it was pleasing to see NL make a change right at the start of the half by bringing on Forrest for Kayal which made a big impact in the 2nd 45mins. Neil has been accused of tactical naivety. This switch proves that the manager knows more than he is given credit for at times. James was a great outball and forced their left back onto the back foot for the remainder of the game which gave us a far more even foothold in the game.

Sami's goal was the icing on the cake but, and it may have been a little harsh on the Swede's, we should have had a 3rd. Never mind the fact that we hit the bar twice and James forced their keeper into a good save, Sami should have squared across goal for Commons to tap in after a great run.

Forrest was the star in the 2nd half, Forster in the 1st. But after HT our big keeper didn't need to pull off any big saves as the midfield and defence got a lot tighter to each other and the introduction of Forrest meant we carried far more threat going forward.

Only worry now is the injuries which seem to be mounting up. Ledley had to go off, as did Commons and apparently Scott Brown and Kayal have tweaks as well. But Victor and Paddy McCourt will be available for the trip to Inverness on Saturday.

11. Transatlantic

Transatlantic Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I'm very happy with the performance. Let this be a strong Champions League run.

12. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think we all are. But lets put the 2nd leg to bed before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

13. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thankfully, the Bhoys cheered me up a little bit last night. :thumbsup:

frasermc repped this.
  14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yeah. Poor result for you guys at home mate although, admittedly, against very strong opposition.

Any hope for the return leg?

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great to see people are actually back on this forum; glad that not only is the SPL back on American TV, but now have 4 footie channels.

It appears that Ross County actually gave Celtic a proper match last week.
    Caught the highlight show last night; Dundee derby had some fine goals.

16. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what channel is carrying the SPL ?

17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    There were some nice goals last week weren't there.

Brittain's free kick was a peach. As was Russell's strike.

But there were a few other well worked goals. I think last weeks matches averaged 3 goals per game. Not a bad average to have if it can be maintained.

Catfish repped this.
  18. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fox Soccer Plus

IvanIV repped this.
  19. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice 4-2 (was 4-0 until late) win for the Bhoys today up at Inverness. Lenny rested some normal starters and went with a starting lineup that included Lustig, Wilson, Twardzik, McCourt and Watt.

Watt had a great game, scoring twice and nearly scoring a couple others. Nice to see Paddy in the starting lineup, I have to admit I'm one of "those" who are enamored with his style.

Young subs came on to include Bangura, Forrest and Chalmers so it was a great experience for a lot of the regular bench players. No injuries in the game that I saw

I'm probably the only one who wasn't aware of this, but at least some UCL qualifying games are being broadcast on the main Fox Soccer channel. Imagine my suprise when I turned on my TV last week and found the replay of the Helsingsborg game playing in glorious HD! Hopefully next weeks game will also be shown

20. PenskeFile

PenskeFile Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Georgetown, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any thoughts on Ki being sold to Swansea? The guy was a deadly long-range shooter but I can't say I think he was any better than the other center mid players esp. Kayal and Ledley who I believe were the main contenders at his position (I could very well be wrong though because I'm still trying to figure out who plays where and it seems to change a lot)

6 million pounds paid I believe, so a pretty good price. From what I am hearing, Wanyama will NOT go in this transfer window.

21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The 2 goals let in by Celtic were lazy/ball-watching defense. I loved the Mulgrew (3rd goal), straight from the training ground.

22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm glad to see NL giving Tony Watt a chance to impress and even happier to see him taking it (so far). I'm also a Paddy fan but I always got the feeling he got too carried away with the crowd at times and tried to do too much on the ball. Still, in full flow, he is a lot of fun to watch.

I think Ki offered a better option whilst in possession. He had excellent technique and, other than Commons, was the best creative option from the middle of the park.

However, it looks to me like NL wants a physically strong 3 man midfield (Brown, Wanyama, Kayal, Ledley) and the creativity to be left to the wide areas or the no.10 position (Samaras, Forrest, Commons). With that in mind, it makes good business sense to sell Ki on and hopefully, use the cash to buy an experienced CB.

I'd hope NL will be making sure the players are well aware of this. Complacency is one thing we cannot afford tomorrow night.

23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=3000

Mo Bangura joins AiK Stockholm on a 6mth loan deal.

That transfer looks like a complete waste of money at this point in time. I'll be glad to be proved otherwise in the future.

24. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Finally, the fans can enjoy again CL football at Paradise! :) :thumbsup:

frasermc repped this.
  25. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It was a good result from a professional performance.

4 games played in the CL so far with 4 wins.

That wont last but I'm looking forward to the draw later today to see who we get.