Celtic FC 2009/10 Match Thread pre/dur/post[R]

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Jul 11, 2009.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I've been reading on forums suggesting that this isn't a done deal yet. Latest figure I heard was £2mill + £750k in add-ons. I like Wallace. Is he better than Fox? I think he is, but I'm not sure how much better he is. If we do sign him though I'll be more than happy with it.

2. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thats a ton of money for a guy who i don't think is much better than danny fox. the rumour is that there's a ginger down in Middlesbrough trying to muck up this deal. I hope so, I'm not sure it's worth all this money for an insignificant upgrade, unless Caddis is moving to rightback and Hinkel is on his way out. I have transfer window vertigo.

3. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    I think he's a good bit better than Fox. Hearts will probably hold out for £2m.

4. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It can make your head spin can't it. :eek:

I really hope Hinkel isn't going anywhere. Although I do worry that he is becoming a target of the boo-boys. His assists have been invaluable to us so far this season although I have to concede that he is better going forward than in defence. But I'd also stipulate that a good defender doesn't need to crunch into every 50-50 or 40-60 tackle to prove his worth to the team. Many Scottish football fans would disagree with this assessment.

As I mentioned above, I do think Wallace is better than Fox but I'm not sure by how much. I understand your concerns over the sort of money being talked about for the player. However, Hearts would seem to hold all the cards in this game of Texas hold'em.

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    No discussion of yesterday's thumping?

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    We're erm.. concentrating on the positives...

7. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Celtic are positively woeful.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I wish I could argue the point more, but at this minute in time, I don't have a leg to stand on.

Still, the main thing for me to focus on is, there is still time. :)

9. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also legless and trying to channel fraser's positive attitude. it's hard, hard work right now

10. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was that a thumpin?

11. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, we're simply speechless. :eek: :mad: :)

TM won't have many excuses left for next season.

12. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's for sure. all of his excuses have been burning up the M74 this january

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I can only assume:D

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hamilton vs Celtic - Saturday 30th January - 12:30pm KO

This probably wont be a stroll in the park the way we're playing at the minute and we've just managed to scrape by Hamilton when we've played them earlier this season. They also gave Rangers three hard matches recently. Some changes to the team would be welcomed I think.

Possible line-up -

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Fortune, Rasmussen, McGeady, NGuemo, Crosas, Ki, O'Dea, Hooiveld, Thompson, Hinkel, Boruc[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Having Landry back from the ACN should make a difference. I hope.

15. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd put Ki on the left and Aiden on the right. Everything else, as is. Please, please, please don't play Sammy at all today. For the love of all mankind, please.

16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

The formation tags don't leave a lot of room for manouvere. I think Ki will play centrally today if it is indeed a midfield of Ki/Crosas/NGuemo. When we played Falkirk at home Zheng Zhi wandered to the left(he was playing instead of NGuemo) in the early stages and Ki and Crosas were in the middle with McGeady on the right.

But Crosas has drifted to the right before when we've changed things in game. He doesn't sit wide right. He doesn't need too as Hinkel has the engine to get up and down the line. And New Douglas Park is quite tight anyway.

I think if McGeady is the only wide player in midfield he will shuffle from side to side as and when he is instructed too.

Either way, I just want three points. :eek:

17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Team is in -

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Fortune, Samaras, Zhi, Ki, NGuemo, McGeady, O'Dea, Hooiveld, Thompson, Hinkel, Boruc[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Subs -

Zaluska
    Caddis
    McGinn
    Crosas
    McCourt
    Rasmussen
    McGowan

Judging by that I'd imagine Rasmussen isn't fit enough to start yet. He did look a bit short when he came on Wednesday evening but I was hoping he'd be on from the start today. Zhi has been poor recently and anonymous on the pitch. If we're sticking with a 4-4-2 then he can move out wider which may help the formation but I'm not happy about Crosas being dropped. Especially now that Nguemo has returned. They had the makings of a good central midfield understanding/partnership.

Ah well, C'mon the hoops!!

18. The Tartan Hoop

The Tartan Hoop New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Near Glasgow
    Anyone got any good links to stream the match? Can't find a good one and my TVs at work is showing it but I'm at an awkward angle and can't move!! :mad:

:D

19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Do you have the address for myp2p? You'll get a decent link on Iraqgoals from there.

Mind you, the first half has been instantly forgettable. A lot more desire, penetration and good football will be required in the second 45mins. Great to see NGuemo back though.

20. The Tartan Hoop

The Tartan Hoop New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Near Glasgow
    I seen it eventually! wasnt great but happy our new boy scored.

Fortune should learn that it's not ALWAYS about power... try placing it and he might get even more successful but i think his confidence is good I just hope that penalty didn't f**k it up now.

All in all, we were shakey at the end a lot but thats because we really needed this win and its a new team coming together quiet well. New defender looked up for it, all in all quite happy :D

21. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can somebody please explain to me why sammy still has so many defenders? he's having a nightmare every time out. can we cut him loose and keep skippy please? all in all, happy to get the result. did anyone notice king artur looking a bit thinner? he still doesn't look very sharp. it's a wonder as to what is wrong with him right now but if it keeps up i'm joining the camp calling for zaluska to be put in between the sticks. also why does mogga bring on caddis for mcgeady there? does he dislike paddy mccourt that much? why did fortune take the penalty? i understand he was brought down but should it be about who has the better shot at putting the ball past the keeper? i'd have had artur take the penalty before him. not to harp on the negatives but i must say aiden looks dreadful still. it's seems he's lost of bit of pace, he's greedy as ever and i don't think he's ever going to be a top flight finisher. when will he cease to be untouchable? shame because selling him would have brought in a ton of money, it would have given mcginn a chance for more playing time and could have freed up paddy mccourt to come on more. i think aidens value will only decrease.

i feel that i have to comment on the positives so here goes: n'guemo work rate is outstanding. the lad knows how to dig in the midfield which is usually absent with crosas on the field. razza looks to be the real thing, i wouldn't let sammy even look at him let alone commiserate. razza it seems understands the concept of what a striker does. he has a natural instinct in the box and i'm thinking it's going to fun watching the lad flourish in scotland. i think the two central defenders were adequate today. it looks like hooiveld is still not quite match fit but you can tell he has a no nonsense attitude back there and josh thompson continues to impress.

again, it's good to get the result and mon the hoops

22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Caddis offers more protection than Paddy ever would. With only a 1 goal lead I think it made sense rather than take any unneccessary chances.

His confidence was up and he'd won it and probably thought he would score it. However, it looked like it was supposed to be Ki that was taking it and Fortune should be leaving it to the designated penalty kick taker. If we had a genuine captain in the team he'd have pointed that out. And Rasmussen should be at the top of the penalty kick pecking order as he takes them, and more importantly, scores them.

Can't argue with any of that.

We missed him while he was away. Great to have him back. If they(the board) don't get his deal sorted into a permanent one then they'll be heading for a car park scenario sooner than anticipated.

23. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my one remaining wish. do they already have terms sorted out for a potential permanent signing that were negotiated with the loan deal? i thought i read something about that.

24. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Not sure. I hope so.

25. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everything i've seen say that celtic have the option to buy. i don't know what that means exactly but i'd hope they have enough sense to excercise that option