CCL Group Stage :: Crew @ Santos Laguna (MEX) 8/24 [R] :: Pre/In/Post Game Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Gman777, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so this is a little ahead of time but after watching Santos play this past weekend something occured to me. And let me start by saying that I am highly competitive but at the same time realistic. And I know I will get a few angry responses but here it goes:

So far this season in the Mexican league Santos hasn't lost a game. Matter of fact they have won all 4. They have a very strong team and are a candidate for the title. Beating them in Torreon will be nearly impossible. That is reality.

Our best bet against them is to focus on the 3 points at home. If they bring their starter team it will be difficult (they are stronger than Toluca last year) but if they bring a B team we have a very good chance. So here is an idea: why don't we send a B team to Torreon and lose bad. That way they will get confident and not risk their starters on the game at CCS. If we send our A team and they do a good job down there or at least a reasonable good job, chances are they will send their A team here to get the points and we may end up with nothing.

I know, I know, it sounds horrible, but the objective in the group phase is to collect points, right?

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Crew v Santos (Champions Cup)

I think you are proceeding on a false assumption, two in fact.

1) What they do will have nothing to do what we do. They will do what is best for their team. If that is sending an A team up here, so be it. If it is a B team, so be it.

2) You are assuming they are dumb enough not to recognize what we are doing. I wouldn't bet on that. They'll know our B team if they see it. And it won't determine what they do in the return leg.

We have a big lead (at the moment) atop the east, and nearly no chance to catch LA. Play the B team next home game.

I'd go all out in the CCL (Champions Cup has been gone for a couple years now), at least early. If we can steal a point down there, maybe we can win the group. The Mexican teams will likely be more focused on the league at this point, and assuming advancement. I don't think first or second makes that big a difference to them, but not having to face Mexican competition in the QF would be huge for us.

I know it is unlikely, but why not?

Of course, what happens in the first round of CCL will influence. If we don't get 3 points tomorrow, we can't afford to waste a game.

3. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good points. It would be a big gamble in order to try to obtain a "possible" scenario. Probably not good enough for a strategy. Besides, most of these Mexican teams end up sending a hybrid team and hold some starters on the bench and bring them in if they feel they need them.

4. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

What's the Champions Cup?

5. mclip_66

mclip_66 Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Just watched the highlights from Santos vs Joe Public -

Available here if you have not seen them:

http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ChampionsLeague/Video/0,,12907~1599918,00.html

My suggestion to the Crew. Shoot low to the keepers right even slow rollers will be let in. If CCL was anywhere on the ESPN radar the first goal by Joe Public would make the Not Top Ten for this week.

The bad news is these guys can score in many fashions. Each of the 5 goals against Joe Public was different. If we get a tie on the road it will be a big result.

6. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

qft

7. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, Concacaf Champions League. There, I am an idiot. I hope that makes you feel good.

(like you didn't know what I meant).

8. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

God I feel so much better now.
    THANK YOU!
    [​IMG]

9. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA

Santos does have a new stadium for those that didn't know (a couple months old if not mistaken not sure)

[​IMG]

10. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Screwed up the picture in my latest response.
    Supposed to be the one shown here. Sorry.

11. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Located at 3,674 ft up as opposed to say 4,450 ft at RSL's Sandy. I like our chances :D

12. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guille and Iro cleared to go per updated blog.

14. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Santos (MEX) vs. Columbus Crew (USA), 10 p.m. 8/24

Long flight and a quick turnaround for the team. Two arguments could be had with this match.
    1. If we win it, then we'll no doubt win the group and become the only MLS side to win in Mexico.
    2. If we care to, resting players in a no win situation makes a lot of sense. Run out Team B.

I'm one of the people that have been begging to see GBS and Chad some bench time and RW doesn't listen to me. So something tells me that he wont be tanking this game either.

What's the best nation on the earth? DomiNation. Crew by 2.

TFC plays at 8 PM on Tuesday and the Crew play at 10 pm. Both matches are on FSC.

15. LTA141

LTA141 New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands Antilles
    Re: Santos (MEX) vs. Columbus Crew (USA), 10 p.m. 8/24

tie set ourselves up nicely for the group Santos is sleeping on this one

16. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Santos (MEX) vs. Columbus Crew (USA), 10 p.m. 8/24

This match has bunker / counter with a B side written all over it. Santos is probably playing better than Toluca or even Cruz Azul and the quick turn around time and the lack of quality sides with Joe Public mean this match does not have that much importance. Rw holding out Renteria and only two subs vs. Colorado indicates that they will play Renteria, Oughten, Lenhart, Griffet, Carroll, Grunenbaum, Brunner, Hejduk. Duka might see some minutes but I wouldn't hold my breath. Santos will probably win by 2 but looking at the big picture, this match means not much. Love to see a result but got to be realistic.

17. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday, Santos lost to Tigres.

Which helps Monterrey a bit in the group

18. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking we'll see something like this...
    @ Santos-
    -------Gruenebaum-------
    Hejduk-Iro-Brunner-Francis
    Oughton-Burns-Moffat-Griffit
    ------Duka-Lenhart------

Dallas (MLS)
    Hesmer
    O'Rourke-Marshall-Iro-Francis
    Gaven-Moffat-Carroll-Ekpo
    Schelotto-Renteria

@DC (USOC)
    Hejduk-Marshall-Iro-Francis
    Gaven-O'Rourke-Carroll- EKpo
    Schelotto-Renteria

@DC (MLS)
    Hejduk-Marshall-Brunner-O'Rourke
    Gaven-Carroll-Moffat-Ekpo
    Schelotto-Renteria

Padula coming back and Mendoza being cleared will certainly help.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, don't ask me what will happen, the coaching staff (and FO) have been doing almost exactly the opposite for weeks now. Not much squad rotation. Trading Zayner (be great to start here). Not using all your subs. Playing Guille for 30 with a 3-1 lead.

Me, I'd have played a B+/A- team vs. Colorado and gone all out here. However, having already played the A team vs. the Rapids, I'd run out a B team for Santos. Will Robert do that? Who knows?

One thing I did notice was that Moffat has 5 cards now, and Frankie 4. Don't know if they've taken a "Good behavior" incentive, and since MLS.com has gone down the toilet, I can't seem to locate the discipline report. But the suspension situation may start to impact the decision making. If Moffat is out the next MLS game, by all means, suit him up for Santos.

Me, if we are going to go B team, I'd play 3-5-2 (basically 5-3-2), bunker, and counter. Having Mendoza available might change my mind. For now:

-----------Andy G-------------
    ---Danny---Iro-----Brunner----
    Moffat------------------Francis
    --------Carroll--Oughton-------
    ------------Griffit-------------
    ------Renteria-----Lenhart-----

20. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was under the impression that Hejduk's card last night meant that he was suspended for the Dallas match (meaning he HAS to start against Santos).

21. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what they said on the radio. Frankie is out for Dallas.

22. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the strategy is to run the bucker-and-counter, I suppose pace would be important to consider.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Duka, Renteria, Ekpo, O'Rourke, Griffit, Gaven, Francis, Marshall, Iro, Hejduk, Gruenebaum [/LINEUP-4-4-2]

23. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Will there be any road support for this one? I know it's unlikely, but is there any chance some people south of the border pay attention to us and will travel to the game with Crew gear on?

24. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    State Department travel warning :cool:

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I was at the game, so I missed that.

Has the rule changed? I thought it was 5 cards for a suspension, now it is at 4?

God, I miss that page on MLS.com (damn those bloggers!).

If Frankie is indeed out for FCD, then he plays midweek for certain.