CCL Group D [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Nerroth, Sep 4, 2008.

1. lineofire

lineofire New Member

May 1, 2008
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    Municipal gives some more late magic and wins in Bayamón 0 - 1 against the Puerto Rico Islanders. The Islanders dominated the first half but Municipal steppd up their game in the second. This result means that Santos Laguna has qualified to the quarterfinals.

2. So, Does Municipal still can qualify?

3. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes Municipal can still make it, but they need to beat Santos in the last game, and Tauro needs to draw with the Islanders. Anything else will see Municipal eliminated.

4. lineofire

lineofire New Member

May 1, 2008
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    I don't think they can. Their only shot would have been if they defeat Santos and Tauro/Islanders tie. In that case there would be a three way tie for second. According to CONCACAF these are the tiebreakers:
    1. Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned
    2. Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned
    3. Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between the teams concerned
    These are the results of the games between the three teams:

PRI 2 - 1 TAU
    TAU 2 - 1 MUN
    MUN 2 - 2 PRI
    MUN 2 - 2 TAU
    PRI 0 - 1 MUN
    TAU tie PRI

Each team would have 5 points (each with 1 win and 2 draws). Each team would have a goal difference of 0. Municipal however only has two away goals while Tauro has at least 3 (not including the final game yet to be played) so they are out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I just got back from the game and I'm not going to say much since I'm quite pissed off. The ref was a complete joke that gave them the game. Every single call went Municipal's way. There was a clear red card after their last defender tackled our forward right when he was about to go 1 on 1 with the keeper. Municipal's goal came after they knocked down one of our defenders. It was clear foul which the ref didn't call and left them right in front of goal. It was a truly pathetic performance by the ref. Totally biased and he didn't even try to hide it.

We completely dominated this game for the most part and deserved a result. I believe it was about 15 shots on goal to us against maybe 7 for them.

6. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm not sure if you're wrong, but i would have thought that if Municipal are able to defeat Santos then they would finish second as their goal difference would be greater than both Tauro and PRI (if they tied). And usually goal difference is the first thing taken into account when the teams are even on points, but maybe CONCACAF has different rules for this tournament. :confused:

7. lineofire

lineofire New Member

May 1, 2008
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    I believe this is true for national team competitions but for club tournaments usually use head-to-head tiebreakers. I think the UEFA Champions League uses a very similar set of tiebreakers (since the CCL is modeled after it and all).

8. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    After having a closer look at your post, i noticed that you failed to add Municipal's away game v Santos into the list of their results. That game ended 3-2, which means they have 4 away goals (more than both PRI and Tauro although Tauro still has one away game left)

The thing that interests me is if PRI and Tauro draw there last game and Municipal defeats Santos, then there will be a three way tie for second.

And if you look at the tie breaker procedure, then PRI should finish ahead of Tauro as head-to-head they would lead with one win and one draw. But then Municipal would go ahead of PRI as head-to-head they lead with one win and one draw. But then again if you look at Tauro, then they would go ahead of Municipal cause they lead that series also with one win and one draw.

So ultimatley, PRI should finish above Tauro, Municipal should finish above PRI and Tauro should finish above Municipal, but that's not possible.

So where does the tie-breaker procedure go from there?

9. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    The reason he left that result out of the equation is because santos is not involved in that tie-breaker scenario.

10. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Obviously, but the result that Municipal got there is still taken into consideration when determining which of the three (PRI, Tauro and Municipal) will get second spot.

11. What a mess. i think that Concacaf should go for overall goal differential for tie breaker next season.

12. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    First is head-to-head between them three, right?
    Second goal difference between the three, right?
    Third/Fourth is goals for between the three, no?
    Fourth/Third is away goals scored between the three, right?
    Fifth a coin toss, no?
    Santos is out if the equation I believe.

Agree, head-to-head as the first tie-breaker doesn't work in such a short tournament, but it's concacaf so anything goes here.

13. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes, your right. But what are you trying to say?

We know Santos has already qualified, they could finish either first or second, and no one is saying that they have anything to do with the 3-way tie for second place.

Maybe i didn't explain myself properly, so let me try it again.

IF Municipal beat Santos on the last matchday AND Tauro tie with PRI, then these three teams will all be tied for second (PRI, Tauro and Municipal. Santos would finish first and would already be qualified). To see which of the three gets second, you'd use tie-breaker procedure 1 (head to head advantage), but it wouldn't work, as PRI could claim second because they lead Tauro head to head BUT Municipal could also claim it as they have a better head to head advantage over PRI OR Tauro could even claim it as they have a better head to head advantage over Municipal. Ultimatley, it can't be decided.

Is it just me that's got it wrong, or is this a possibility?

I know i'm getting ahead of myself here, cause the games haven't been played and it's a big ask to have Municipal beat Santos, but anythings possible. And if it were to turn out like this, then i'd like to know how the second spot would be decided. Anyone have any ideas? Would it simply move on to Procedure Pt 2 (goal difference between the three)?

14. L.D.11

L.D.11 Member

Sep 23, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I thought it was goal difference that came second anyway...but in the end who knows just like in superliga we were not clear on the rules until the end of the games.

15. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Ok I know I'm "new" here but I've been reading this forum for a ocuple of months now... I belong to the hiapr.org (Islanders fans) forum.

According to what I've read in superrojos.com and the islanders forum...

if Islanders ties 1-1 or more- they pass..
    if Islanders ties 0-0 and Municipal beats Santos... Tauro pases.
    If islanders ties 0-0 and Santos beats Municipal... Islanders pases.

Anyways... if you guys need a table pass by the Islanders forum and you can check it out there.

16. lineofire

lineofire New Member

May 1, 2008
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    This is where your the source of your confusion is. The tiebreaking procedures state that only games between the teams that are tied are counted. Municipal loses the second tiebreaker because they do not have as many away goals as Tauro, not even including Tauro's away game v Puerto Rico Islanders.

These are the only scenarios on the final match day that I know:

Santos Laguna will win the group if:
    • they do not lose to Municipal, OR
    • Tauro draws with the Puerto Rico Islanders
    Puerto Rico Islanders will qualify for the quarterfinals if:
    • they defeat Tauro, OR
    • they draw with Tauro and Municipal does not defeat Santos Laguna, OR
    • they draw with Tauro by a score other than 0–0
    Tauro will qualify for the quarterfinals if:
    • they defeat the Puerto Rico Islanders, OR
    • they draw 0–0 with the Puerto Rico Islanders and Municipal defeats Santos Laguna

17. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Okay seeing as no one is understanding what i'm saying, i'll assume i'm the one that has it wrong, but let me just get this out of the way before i carry it on any further.

I'm not taking the result v Santos into consideration to break the tie as initially it does not matter when using tie-breaker procedure 1 (head to head difference between tied teams).

And if Santos loses to Municipal and PRI tie with Tauro then all three are tied on 8 points each right?

So to break that, you'd see who has done better head to head between the teams, and in doing so you'd find PRI has done better over Tauro, Municipal has done better over PRI and Tauro has done better over Municipal. So the main problem here is who would claim second, when even though Municipal has done better than PRI, Tauro still leads Municipal head to head, which should put them over Municipal but you can't do that as Municipal is above PRI and PRI has a better head to head record over Tauro.

If no one gets my explination this time, i'll just keep quite and assume that i'm the one that has got it completly wrong :confused::D

18. lineofire

lineofire New Member

May 1, 2008
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    I think I get what you're saying now. In the case of a three way, head-to-head means only the games played between the three teams. This is assuming Tauro and Puerto Rico Islanders draw 0–0 on their last match day and Municipal defeats Santos Laguna, forcing a three way tiebreaker:

Puerto Rico Islanders vs. Tauro and Municipal:

PRI 2 - 1 TAU
    MUN 2 - 2 PRI
    PRI 0 - 1 MUN
    TAU 0 - 0 PRI

1 win, 2 draws, 1 loss = 5 points, goal difference = 0, away goals scored = 2

Tauro vs. Puerto Rico Islanders and Municipal:

PRI 2 - 1 TAU
    TAU 2 - 1 MUN
    MUN 2 - 2 TAU
    TAU 0 - 0 PRI

1 win, 2 draws, 1 loss = 5 points, goal difference = 0, away goals scored = 3

Municipal vs. Puerto Rico Islanders and Tauro:

TAU 2 - 1 MUN
    MUN 2 - 2 PRI
    MUN 2 - 2 TAU
    PRI 0 - 1 MUN

1 win, 2 draws, 1 loss = 5 points, goal difference = 0, away goals scored = 2

So as you can see, Municipal cannot score more away goals, thus cannot catch up to Tauro, and thus are eliminated (since only one spot is left open). In this situation Santos Laguna and Tauro would qualify. If PRI and TAU draw with even one away goal by PRI (ie. 1–1 or more) then Puerto Rico Islanders advance instead of Tauro.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

19. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    el_cuscatleco, basically: nothing that any of the teams did against Santos matters (or is taken into account) because no one is trying to win a tiebreaker against Santos.

So Municipal could have scored 100 away goals against Santos, but it wouldn't matter because they don't count for the tiebreakers against Puerto Rico and Tauro.

20. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I know that, i think i just haven't worded my question the right way, cause i know the Santos result has nothing to with it.

Yes you got it. Thanks for the answer :D

21. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    It ended in a 2-2 tie, Islanders go on to the next round.

22. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I posted this in the wrong thread, so i thought i'd move it were it belongs.

23. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Tauro is probably the dirtiest team I have seen in a while. On two occasions they completely ignored fair play and didn't give the ball back to the Islanders when they should have. Anyway Islanders are through and that's all that matters. We were clearly the second best team in the group.

Oh, and let's all collectively LOL over the fact that both USL clubs went through while all MLS clubs failed.

24. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Man that 1-0 loss in the league final really took a toll on the player, does last two game they where dead tired and and demoralised.