Catalonian National Team (a what if), possible spoilers [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by cdmphy, Mar 2, 2006.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    20 minutes now played.
    Catalunya leading 1-0.
    Gol scored by Bojan. Nicely executed counter with Sergio Garcia feeding Bojan who runs in solo and slots past Julio in goal.

Catalunya starting eleven...

Codina
    Puyol -- Lopo -- Pique -- Capdevila
    Busquets
    Verdu -- Sergio
    Bojan -- Sergio Garcia -- Damià​

2. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not when he's out four months with damaged knee ligaments suffered last weekend. ;) Arsenal never release him to play anyway.

3. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Unofficial International Friendly

[​IMG]

Halftime

Catalunya 1-0 Colombia
    1-0 : Bojan 16'

4. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Unofficial International Friendly

[​IMG]
    Verdú and Bojan celebrate second goal.

Fulltime

Catalunya 2-1 Colombia
    1-0 : Bojan 16'
    2-0 : Verdú 63'
    2-1 : Aguilar 90'

2nd half subs:
    46'
    - Morales <-> Codina
    - David Garcia <-> Capdevila
    - Belenguer <-> Puyol
    - Crusat <-> Piqué
    - Carlos García <-> Sergio Garcia
    - Bruno <-> Verdú
    57' - Marc Crosas <-> Sergio González
    68' - Matamala <-> Busquets
    77' - Alba <-> Bojan

BOOKINGS:
    33' Anchico (foul on Sergio Garcia)
    37' Marín (foul on Busquets)
    39' Puyol (foul on Pino)
    50' Bedoya (foul on Bojan)
    74' Bruno
    77' Crosas

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice result. :cool:

6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught the highlights on TV last night, the Bojan run and finish on the counter was very nice. If only Barcelona's opponents would try sending that many forward on a corner kick more often.

7. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bojan's goal

To be fair, it was a very good pass by Sergio Garcia. But Bojan could get tons of those from Xavi or Iniesta.

8. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice one. Yup, it was an absolutely terrific play from Garcia to spring Bojan (which I would have given props to in my last post if he played for the blaugrana.) :D

9. Bojan1

Bojan1 Member

Nov 6, 2008
    One day I`m hoping we`ll see them play in UEFA and FIFA competitions.
    Catalunya probably has the best midfield in the World in Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas

10. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe Iniesta is Catalan.

11. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    your right, but sergi busquets is ;)

12. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Blog by Toni Frieros in SPORT suggests that Johan Cruyff will be offered the coaching role of the Catalan national team. (Can someone review the full article, please? :))
    Not sure how important this really is since Catalunya can't compete in any official FIFA competitions.
    Catalunya usually plays a friendly during the Christmas break but I haven't seen any opponent lined up as yet. With this supposed appointment of Cruyff I'm assuming a fixture is on the verge of being announced.

13. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did he accept? Isn't he a bit busy being at every Barca game and talking to the press about what he thinks? ;)

15. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I was reading somewhere (on a Spanish website so I may have misunderstood) that Cruyff has never bothered to learn Catalan because it has no utility outside of Catalunya. It seems weird that a non-Catalan speaker would coach the Catalan national team.

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    62 year old Johan Cruyff has accepted the coaching post for Catalunya and will be presented to the media via a press conference on Monday 9 November.
    Hopefully they'll use that occasion to announce a Christmas/New Year's friendly.

17. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    And he'll be working for free, too. :cool:
    I guess this is the best possible team for Cruyff to coach. Laid back schedule, no pressure, no tarnish on his legacy if things don't go so well.

18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like there'll be a game on Dec 22.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada09-10/11/n091106107662.html

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Johan Cruyff was presented to the media on Monday as the new coach of the Catalunya national team.
    Jordi Casals Vilalta, President of the Catalan Football Federation, presented Cruyff with a replica of the Catalunya shirt he wore while playing for Catalunya against Russia in a June 1976 friendly.
    Cruyff, who has caused a bit of controversy by stating that he will address his players in spanish rather than catalan, is hoping to line up a December friendly against Diego Maradona's Argentina.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Catalunya vs. Argentina December 22. Pre/Post/During

We have a general thread for the Catalunya national team that we normally use for matches as well. I had bumped it up a couple of weeks back and it's still on page 1.
    I'm all for match threads for when they play (if the mods don't mind) but a look through that general thread reveals not many people post when the team is in action, perhaps because they usually play during the Christmas break and many of us are also offline (busy visiting family or whatever).

Btw, I guess Maradona has to sit this one out due to his suspension. Tbh, I think he should be allowed on the bench.. After all, Catalunya are not FIFA affiliated and their matches are deemed 'unofficial'.
    Cryuff tried to get Holland as his first opponent but it didn't come off.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking for some information here.

Do anyone of you think that there are any Catalonian players playing right now that could start for Barcelona, that are not already on the team? I know Cesc Fabregas is one example, but I am curious if there are others.

23. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Capdevila could possibly start at LB.

24. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Tadbit too old for my taste, but currently I think he is better than both our options.

25. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Valdes, Puyol, Busquets, Xavi, Bojan... Oleguer... and Cesc?!

On Thursday there was a press conference where the new kit for the team was unveiled. Sort of a retro-kit, it looks like. :cool:

[​IMG]

In an effort to try and have the strongest Catalonian team against Argentina, coach Johan Cruyff said that he held talks with Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger on the possibility of allowing Cesc Fabregas to play in the match. Cruyff is said to be 90% certain that Wenger will allow Cesc to play.
    Since the English league has no winter break, Cesc has always been unavailable to play in the tradition Christmas-time friendlies involving Catalunya. But this year Arsenal will play on Saturday December 19 against Hull City and their next fixture won't be until Sunday the 27th against Aston Villa.
    Barcelona also play on the 19th (in the FIFA Club World Cup) and the club has already given the go ahead for their Catalonian players to play in the December 22nd match against Argentina.
    Cruyff also stated that he will be bringing Oleguer Presas back to the team, whom Ajax is willing to let play. The full 22-player squad will be announced on Monday.

On the flip side, it looks as if Lionel Messi may miss out for Argentina due to his ankle injury. :(