Alert: Cassano sets off a firestorm (homsexuals in football)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Jun 12, 2012.

1. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Euro 2012: Activists angry over Cassano gay comments
    Agence France-Presse June 12, 2012 4:03 PM

Italian forward Antonio Cassano attends a press conference at the "Casa Azzurri" in Krakow on June 12, 2012 during the Euro 2012 football championships.
    Photograph by: GIUSEPPE CACACE , Getty Images
    KRAKOW - Italy striker Antonio Cassano was on Tuesday criticised by gay rights campaigners for using a derogatory word to describe homosexuals and saying he hopes there are no gay players in the national team.
    During a press conference, the forward was asked a question about an Italian television personality's claim there are two gay and two so-called "metrosexuals" in the national squad.
    "What's a metrosexual?" Cassano asked the questioner, before adding: "If they're queer, that's their problem. I hope there aren't any queers in the national team.
    "But if they're queer, it's their business. Are there any? I don't know."
    Outspoken Cassano used the Italian word "frocio", which can be translated in English as "queer".
    "Metrosexual" has become a term to describe usually a wealthy city-dwelling man, regardless of sexual orientation, who spends a lot of time and money on shopping and his own appearance.
    Cassano's reply was largely laughed off but provoked a strongly-worded response from campaign group the Gay Centre in Italy, who themselves used an Italian slang phrase for doing something stupid that plays on Cassano's name.
    "Cassano says 'cassanate' (stupid things) about gays, showing his arrogance and irresponsibility," said spokesman Fabrizio Marrazzo in a statement.
    "Unifying sport and homophobia gives a dangerous message, especially to the young.
    "Cassano has shown that he has no respect, not only from a sporting perspective but from a human one, towards the many who follow him and consider him a great player.
    "He would deserve at least a yellow card if not an expulsion from the European Championships.
    "It is a relief at least that the coach Cesare Prandelli thinks differently.
    "In any case it is in fact football which will be the theme of our next Gay Help Line, the phone line which gives help against homophobia."
    After the exchange, Cassano turned to the translator and said: "You're not going to translate that to the Polish press, are you?"
    Homosexuality in sport and particularly football is a sensitive issue.
    There are no high-profile openly gay footballers in the major European leagues and many gay rights groups have called for someone to take a stand and become the first.
    Last year, German international goalkeeper Manuel Neuer told Bunte magazine that "those (players) who are homosexual should say so. That would take a load off their minds. And the fans would get over it quickly.
    "What is important to them is the performances on the pitch of the player, not his sexual preferences."
    But earlier this year Italy striker Antonio Di Natale said he thought the sport's macho culture would make it very difficult for a player to be openly gay.
    Former Nottingham Forest forward Justin Fashanu is the only English footballer to have come out later in his career.
    He killed himself in 1998 at the age of 37 after being questioned by police in the United States about an alleged sexual assault on a 17-year-old boy.
    Another British athlete, former NBA star John Amaechi came out but only after he had ended his basketball career.
    Former Wales rugby union international Gareth Thomas came out right at the end of his career but said he had not done so earlier as he did not want to be known for his sexuality rather than his sporting prowess.
    "I don't want to be known as a gay rugby player. I am a rugby player, first and foremost I am a man," he told Britain's Daily Mail newspaper in December 2009.
    By that point his eight-year Wales career had already ended and he only played on for a couple more seasons, including a switch to rugby league.
    © Copyright (c) AFP

2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First of all, what a moron. The guy should never go near a mic again. Prandelli should have called a silenzio stampa after the Russia game. We don't need this negative attention.

Secondly who do you think the gay players are? I would wager on Bonucci and Marchisio

3. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Marchisio is married, the showed his wife in the crowd

4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah i was just taking the piss.

5. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i read something about Toto either being gay or having the same feelings Cassano has on the subject...i for one dont get why these type of things get asked of people who play sports...

6. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    everyone knows all the juve players are gay....

JOKING...relax...you might choke on your stars...

seriously, Cassano needs to shut the ******** up and produce on the field...why they are even asking him about questions like this is ridiculous...it smacks of a reporter trying to get a negative reaction, and they got it...

7. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From another board :

[​IMG]

Alessandro Cecchi Paone, who is a famous journalist and a sort of Italian Manijak (the Bosnian guy you all know, not a maniac eh eh eh) as he came out of the closet a while ago, now pretends there are two gay players among the Azzurri as he had a relation with one of them, who told him who is the other one. It is probably true, since he never looked like a liar to me. He also defined Giovinco, Abate and Montolivo metrosexual.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So apparently all this started from an italian z-list journalist

8. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cassano... smh... thought you had matured enough to handle these questions.

9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I saw the press conference on RAI Sports. Cassano was his usual joking self. He did not make the comments with any malice. The one who should be criticized is the idiot asking the questions to push his gay agenda. Truth is that the sexual orientation of any player, regardless of persuasion, is no ones business.

10. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This reminds me of the time Bearzot closed the camp b/c journalists were saying that Paolo Rossi and Antonio Cabrini were homosexual lovers, only this time, Cassano made a mess of things. Should have kept his mouth shut.

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He should never had been asked in the first place. The asshole who asked the questions supposedly is trying to out some players. Why? What purpose does it serve? All Cassano stated that it was not his problem. Who really gives a ******** about his opinion on this matter? What does it have to do with this tournament? The gay agenda has no business in sport. I for one am tired of having it thrown at us constantly.

elvesuvio, indestructible and ArtemioD repped this.
  12. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Me too Falc and personally I could care less about what people do behind closed doors but I dont agree with that life style.

Falc repped this.
  13. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are we really surprised that Cassano would say something stupid like this?

14. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Do we really care? In some ways, maybe he is doing a favor to some of his mates if there any truth to this idiot's allegation. While this guy is trying to out some players, now the focus is on Cassano. Do we have enough shit going on already with the betting scandal, racial comments towards Balotelli that we need to know who is a gay player on the squad? Let these guys play the tournament.

15. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This loser is a d-list celebrity queen looking for attention. This is the problem in italy. The media are a bunch of savages. If someone on the team is gay, then it's their the decision to come out or not.

This event can derail to unity of the squad. But I hope they're over it

16. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    sigh the way people make a big deal about this stuff still shows how little people have come along actually all the stuff that is going is showing that most people haven't moved passed the 196os...

17. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i might be stupid but i didnt really see anything wrong with what he said...he just didnt know how to answer the question in a politically correct manner that is all...

19. epugnac

epugnac Member

May 29, 2012
    Cassano is a good lad, and such a hostile response to him is not deserved. The journalists should get a life and report on more important things rather than what Cassano thinks about homosexuals.

20. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
  21. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    A lot of people care, and it's rather pathetic that when you have one of your players subjected to monkey chants during the matches another of your players would go and make comments that ignorant. You would think he might be little smarter than that.

22. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True. But I think when Cassano said, "If they're gay it's their problem," he probably meant something like, "If they're gay, that's none of my business." He is not articulate -- there's a joke in Italy that Cassano doesn't speak Italian ...

Anyway, this entire tournament is starting to mirror 1982's. Betting scandal on the eve of the games, rumors of gays on the Azzurri ... Eerie.

23. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italians are very superstitious people.

Maybe this whole story is an elaborate ruse to recreate history o_O

24. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, I agree. 'It's their problem' tends to translate into 'it's their business', not 'God hates fags\it's immoral.'

Obvs, it could be the other way. He might just not like the idea of homesexuality. Italy aint that PC of a place. Homosexuality is still frowned upon.(Just like every part of the world...but just a little more) With the church tower being the highest building in most places, you can bet, there's a lot of people who don't agree with the 'frocio' stile di vita, not just Cassano...if he does...which no one knows...not that their is anything wrong with that :p

25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You guys are just making a storm in a teacup.

I will not say that football players are dum, cause they aren`t. But above all, football players never have been hired for being top thinking lads. Most of them are very simple minded dudes.

They are mostly hired for their abbilities in playing the game, so whenever you put a simple minded man behind a microphone and start asking him questions that have to be thought of, before answering, most of the times he will simply pop-out the first thing that comes to his mind and most of the times he answers something wrong, he will not even be aware of what he said.

If you are going to put a football player behind a microphone, ask him about football. Don`t ask him about politics, social studies and behaviour, or other complicated issues, unless of course, all you really want, is to unleash an exploding bomb.

Shame on the reporter, who made the question and got precisely what he was after.
    ;)