Canucks Abroad - New Tracking Thread (as of June 30, 2009)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Blizzard, Jun 30, 2009.

1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That is a lot of guys spread out all over Europe Hard to get Anation in orde
    That is a ton of Canadians playing off the North American Continent.
    The CSA I know is working towards better D3 feeder system but many of these players abroad that are young and playing in not the European highest divison, The CSA should be swithcing some focus towards supporting more NASL franchises. Their are stadiums in place in Hamilton. Calgary could be a good city to support a NASL club. Falmes LP would want to get involved and so far owning the Flames, Stamps, Roughnecks, WHL, adding anouther outdoor summer sport to their agenda will keep more events to promote their winter teams and vice versa.
    Winnipeg has the stadium but an ownership group could be tough unless the Jets expand to the Junior Hockey circcuit and then the pro soccer circuit.
    The 2015 WWC should help in having cities and private sectors taking a second look at the importance of having a professional Outdoor venue

QC, GTA Toronto team, Halifax all would need stadiums wiothout football lines for success.
    Nova Scotia and Halifax in all levels of govt and private sector need to see the advantage of builing a CFL/Soccer stadium at this point.
    QC as well with Quebecors involvment could rid themselves on having to rely on Laval for a stadium use

There is room for the NASL to grow in Canada

JMO

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hi, guys.

Just wanted to stop by and share some interesting I came across yesterday. Turns out 2 Chilean-Canadians (or Canadian-Chileans?) are trying out for Chile's D3 CD Ferroviario. Their names are Dylan and Kyle Andrade. 'Anybody know anything about them?

The club's website did a short story with them where they talk about themselves a bit:

Thanks in advance for any info!

3. -Kodemari

-Kodemari Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Trento, Italy
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey Canadian friends,

local newspaper L'Adige recently mentioned several young Canadians on the bench at our local team Trento. It was recently bought by an Australian entrepreneur who runs a soccer school and since the club is in dire straits financially he brought some of his pupils to fill in on the bench. Trento is currently playing in the Eccellenza championship (Italy's sixth tier). Despite being the biggest club in the area they are going through rough times, both in terms of finances and results, but a youngster from last season is now at Chievoverona in Serie A so they may get a little exposure.
    As soon as something more is known, I will inform you :)

Polygong repped this.
  4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Who is Noah Dino?

5. dsichiva

dsichiva Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Does former Montreal Impact Player, Leonardo Di Lorenzo, count as Canuck? Or was he unable to obtain Canadian citizenship? BTW, playing for Temperley in Argentina's second tier.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fleetwood Town won the League Two promotion playoff to move up to League One, the third highest level in England. They have Iain Hume.

7. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm reading ton of news of Canadian players moving to Level 3 leagues in Europe and it's frustrating to see or hear. I'm thinking why not come and trial in MLS, USL, or NASL if they keep trialing at or playing at these low level leagues. I'm sure the Canadian club teams would add them in to the team adding more Canadian prospects. I know it takes hard work to get Level 1 leagues but lots of them are not even sniffing close to that kind of level. C'mon Canada let's step it up....

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What are our chances for Russia 2018? I find it difficult to keep up with our players at club level but i watched our qualification process for the 2014 World Cup and got really apathetic when we laid that egg in Honduras after coming so close. It looks like Benito adopted a youth movement, but i don't know what to think of that. Does it give us a better shot at qualifying?

9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Most people believe it's going be to soon for Canada to qualify for 2018 World Cup. I'm more of why think that way but why not actually believe Canada can and will qualify this time. Even if Canada gets beaten three times at least it would push for this nation to wanting to get to each edition. Improve upon the results and maybe become solid team in the competition in future endeavors. I do believe there are some good players popping up and if Floro can find some way to turn this team into a solid unit they can make it happen. Why Not 2018 It's four years from now...

10. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that we'll have a better idea of where we stand for 2018 after next year's Gold Cup. Even though that WC is four years from now, the major qualifying games will be three years from now. We have some great talent in the wings, but I'm not sure they'll be ready by then.

11. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Gold Cup ---> Copa America 2016 ---> World Cup 2018

Basically a flop in the Gold Cup and I'd consider us already goners. The natural progression HAS to be that we finish top 4 and win the play off to play in Copa America 2016 against quality sides...that will prepare us very well for the 2017 calendar year when we are down to the home stretch for qualification.

12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd say that a flop at the next Gold Cup doesn't necessarily mean trouble down the road. If Floro goes with a largely and inexperienced young squad, then that could mean that it's just an experience opportunity that could pay dividends over the next few years.

I like this expanded Copa America. I think it would be great if the Gold Cup was eliminated and Copa America was fully expanded to a 24 team tournament for the whole of the Americas, with qualifying rounds preceding it. That would expand the range of talent our national side faces AND gives them more competitive games to play in.

13. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well Canadian team will get more friendly games and that should help the players with chemistry, experience, and provide information on which will be able to play consistently for the team. It's a journey that will hopefully bring out the best of the national team present and future players.

14. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Atiba Hutchinson ;

Besiktas vs Feyenoord.
    UEFA Champions League qualify ,second leg.

Will gonna kickoff in a 20 minute….

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besiktas 3:1 Feyenoord (Besiktas won aggregate 5:2)

To reach the Group Stage, Besiktas will have to beat one of Arsenal, Porto, Zenit St. Petersburg, Bayer Leverkusen, or Napoli. The draw is tomorrow.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what are the bonuses looking like so far if they reach the group stage and/or win/advance to round of 16?

17. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    What I meant by that is a good showing at the Gold Cup would get us into the Copa America (officially the Copa Pan-America), which would give us a tournament against solid teams we wouldn't normally face and who would even consider playing a friendly against us (see Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Brasil, Colombia), this would prepare us tactically to play the tricky central american teams we'll have to beat out to get to Russia in 2018.

18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Honestly, a permanent Pan-America Cup would be one of the best things to ever happen to us, though I think I got a little ahead of myself thinking it could be a 24 team tournament, it would more likely be a 16 team tournament (as it is is in 2016).

I think making this tourney is doable for us. Making it to the semis would see us in for sure, and if the CA and Carribean champions made it to the semis then being one of the QF teams with the best record would also get us in.

I'll be interested in how Floro chooses his squad for the 2015 Gold Cup. Will he keep his youth focus going or will he use some more experienced players to increase our chances?

19. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With the Gold cup host and sites not set as of yet and Toronto not being part of the WWC would Canada look to host their pool play at BMO prior to the Pan AM games. Being that it have the required natural pitch preferred for FIFA men's events.
    Stade Saputo also avaiable for pre cup friendlies with the Natural grass pitch. and crowds of soccer fans in town for the WWC at Olympic. Moncton also will be set for 20K capacity in Alantic Cannada with the Natural grass pitch Even Shalens in Rochester within close proximity to southern Ontario for a friendly tune up
    Now having the two SSS pitches in the two of the three biggest metros in Canada now in place. The time is right for CMNT to take advantage of some home country advantage in competitions.
    No temporary grass needed, metros can easily accommodate visiting clubs and supporters.
    Nothing in the west as of yet. Although Royal Athletic Park in Vicoria, VI has the natural grass pitch. Plays home to Highlanders PDL Club which has a strong soccer following. If planned ahead can be expanded for bigger capacity.

20. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ^isn't Moncton hosting WWC games on artificial turf?

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  23. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah good move for him and I hope he gets plenty playing time.

24. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Didn't dress today in their 1 - 1 draw with Scottish Champions Celtic.

25. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's a shame but it's a long season and here's hoping for the best for this guy.