Candidates for 2019 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by ralmcg, Feb 9, 2013.

1. ralmcg

ralmcg Member

The 2019 Women's World Cup is six years away. Does anybody know those countries who have shown an interest in hosting it? Also, when do the candidates' applications have to be sent to FIFA by?

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Japan most likely...they floated a trial balloon by hosting the u20s and Blatter said they did such a good job they should be considered for the full WWC.

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It'll be in the Eastern Hemisphere, since Canada is hosting the 2015 WWC, Brazil is hosting the 2014 WC, and Brazil is hosting the 2016 Olympics.

From what I've heard, Australia is a strong possibility (possibly even New Zealand as a package deal with them). Japan is also supposedly a strong possibility. It won't be China. It probably won't be Korea. It probably won't be Europe.

So it comes down to ....
    Japan
    Australia

Look for the 2023 WWC to be in Europe or the U.S.
    Look for the 2027 WWC to be in Europe or the U.S. (whoever didn't host it in 2023)

Realistically, there are only ten nations that can host the WWC at this point:
    Germany
    France
    England
    Sweden
    Australia (maybe New Zealand as a supplemental host, but not as the singular host)
    Japan
    China
    U.S.
    Canada
    Brazil

4. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I wouldn't count out South Africa. I recall them making some noise about it and they've already got the facilities thanks to 2010. But I think Japan is more likely for 2019. Really, the main obstacle for Japan was whether it would interfere with the Rugby World Cup and it doesn't sound like it will.

5. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I really feel it's between Japan & Australia. South Africa is the dark horse and should probably look to host the 2023 or 2027 WWC(though it'll probably be a European nation in 2023).

2019: Australia or Japan
    2023: France?
    2027: Brazil or South Africa

6. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    ...pun??

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Women's World Cup (Crystal Ball)
    2015: Canada (24 teams qualify)
    2019: Japan (24 teams qualify)
    2023: England (32 teams) (historic stadiums for a historic event, WWC finally = 32 teams)
    2027: USA (32 teams qualify) (first time in 24 years that the U.S. hosts the WWC)
    2031: South Africa (32 teams qualify)
    2035: Australia / New Zealand (the Ferns group matches are in New Zealand)
    2039: Brazil (32 teams qualify)
    2043: China (40 teams qualify, 24 make the knockout round)
    2047: France (40 teams qualify, 24 make the knockout round)

Here is a preview, of the 2043 WWC in China (the first women's tournament of 40 nations).

2043 WWC (China):
    Host (1): China
    CONCACAF (6): USA, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica
    CONMEBOL (5): Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile
    CAF (5): Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon
    UEFA (14): Ger, Fra, Swe, Eng, Nor, Spain, Italy, Neth, Den, Fin, Ice, Rus, Switz, Ukr
    AFC (7): Japan, Australia, North Korea, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong
    OFC (2): New Zealand, Papua New Guinea (currently ranked #49 in the world in 2013)

10 groups * 4 teams per group = 40 nations

24 nations make the knockout round, where the "eight" best group winners earn a "BYE" in the first round of the knockout round.

In total, 84 matches are played at the 2043 WWC (group + knockout rounds combined).
    This is compared to 26 matches played at the 1991 WWC.
    Significant growth for the game over a 50 year period.

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I'm starting to think that Brazil should host the WWC sooner than we think.
    They have the facilities. Man, the 2014 World Cup is gonna be epic.
    Not to mention, the 2016 Olympics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Yeah, but they're like, the ultimate heels of the women's game. Why reward them? And Brazil hosts Cups of one sort or another all the time. I think someplace a little more novel might be better.

blissett and exref repped this.
  10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Like Qatar? Great idea.

blissett repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    At least Qatar would put $$$ in FIFA's pocket - up front, if not at the gate. Brazil would neither pay for the games nor be able to draw crowds. The next WWC needs to go where the game is growing and/or where support has proven to exist (though that would imply someone hosting again). Spain, Australia, France, and Japan fit the former category, and England (Olympics), Germany (WWC07), and maybe the USA (Americans love special events) fit the latter. I'm very interested to see how Canada does in '15; I expect they'll get help from Americans crossing the border.

12. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    France women football is growing fast ,our federation is working hard to make it completely professional in 2-3 years.....we have the best club in the world, Lyon .....we are u17 world champions and last not least we will host the men's euro 2016 ....so stadiums and structures will be ready .
    FRANCE 2019 ! I LIKE IT ;)

exref repped this.
  13. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any prospect of another CONCACAF host in 2023 -- that would be four out of six tournaments hosted by a single federation. Even 2027 seems really unlikely -- I think only Mexico would have a shot, since they have not hosted a WWC before.

14. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the CBF had a genuine interest in the tournament, then they would easily be the best choice for 2019. I think that they would already have hosted a WWC if the CBF really cared, though, so my guess is that the WWC isn't going to the land of samba.

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It would make it 4 out of 7, not 4 out of 6.

1999: CONCACAF (USA)
    2003: CONCACAF (USA)
    2007: China
    2011: Germany
    2015: CONCACAF (Canada)
    2019: Japan (or Australia)
    2023: CONCACAF (USA)

That's 4 out of 7.
    The U.S. has been some of the most successful hosts ever for the history of the tournament, in 1999 and 2003. Canada will have an epic tournament in 2015. Germany was great in 2011. Most of these WWC tournaments will either be in CONCACAF or Europe, with the occasional China, Japan, or Australia thrown in. Very doubtful South Africa or Brazil hosts anytime soon, but they are certainly intriguing candidates at some point in the future as well (12+ years from now).

The 2019 WWC will either be in Japan or Australia (with Japan probably being the leading candidate at this point).

You can mark it down, the 2023 WWC will either be in Europe or CONCACAF (USA).
    And whichever of those two don't win it for 2023, will most likely win it for 2027.
    I will go out on a limb and say Great Britain gets it in 2023, and USA gets it in 2027.

There has never been two WWC's back to back in nations outside of either Europe or CONCACAF. If Asia (Japan or Australia) is hosting it in 2019, then 2023 is definitely in Europe or CONCACAF (which would be the U.S, not Canada next time in CONCACAF, after the 2015 WWC is over with).

16. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I think Qatar would have made more sense if they'd let them do it in the winter, European seasons be damned. I mean, the US has to disrupt its season for every summer Cup. Somebody else can deal with that for once.

17. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right that it would be 4 out of 7 for CONCACAF, but the point is that even 4 out of 7 would be extreme to the point of unthinkable. And it surely won't be going to the USA. Consider that in almost a century of scheduling the Men's World Cup, no country has yet been allowed to host more than twice. It is inconceivable that the FIFA board will vote to allow the USA to host its third Women's World Cup in a span of just a quarter century.

It is rash to think that FIFA's future decisions about hosting Women's World Cups will be as constricted as their past record. The trend for FIFA is in the opposite direction. Remember, no Men's World Cup had been held outside of Europe or Latin America before 1994, but a majority of the competitions since then have been.

18. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    2019 japan
    2023 toss up between usa and france.
    my dark horse is england hosting it pretty soon as the big clubs are putting money on the line raising the quality of their club teams and nt.plus they showed at the olympics they appreciated women football.

19. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Will Japan being the most likely candidate to host the 2020 Summer Olympics hurt the bid?

I hope we get a WWC in Brazil soon...but 2019 should be Japan or Australia.

blissett repped this.
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Didn't hurt China '07/Beijing '08. Granted, it was supposed to be China '03, so maybe that's not the best comparison...

blissett repped this.
  21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The USA did '96-'99, which isn't a whole lot different.

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If Brazil hosts the WWC in 2019, that would be crazy.

Men's World Cup 2014
    Rio Olympics 2016
    WWC 2019

It's possible, but unlikely they'll host the WWC in 2019.
    Maybe Brazil hosts in 2023?

Maybe Marta sticks it out through 2023.
    She'd be in her late 30's then.

23. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    I don't think Brazil would have a chance of hosting a WWC until at least 2027.

Besides, with the Confederations Cup, World Cup, Summer Olympics and Copa America being held in Brazil for this entire decade, I would rather get the chance to travel to Australia. Since Tokyo is 99.999999999% sure of getting the 2020 Summer Olympics, Australia would sound great.

Personally, I would like a decade in which we hosted every major football tournament during this decade (we are already doing it for men. Why not women?). But most people would not like that.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Well, if Japan is hosting the 2020 Summer Olympics, then the 2019 WWC should be hosted by both Australia and New Zealand.

Australia should host the entire knockout round, and also serve as the host for every match played within their group.

New Zealand should serve as the host for every match played within their own group.

The other group matches would mostly be in Australia, with a few sprinkled in New Zealand.

Overall, more than 75% of the matches would be in Australia, less than 25% in New Zealand.
    But New Zealand would love to play in their nation during the group stage.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Three events in five years? Been done before.

1994 WC
    1996 Olympics
    1999 WWC

That the infrastructure is there makes it more, not less likely