#CancelColbert Success; Colbert Replaces Letterman

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Crimen y Castigo, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention opening the eyes of many, many people about the lunacy of Super PACs:

"Colbert Super PAC -- Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow -- reported raising over $1.02 million in their January 2012 filing with the Federal Election Commission....

On November 12, 2012, Colbert announced his intention to dissolve Colbert Super PAC, citing the death of his fictional advisor "Ham Rove", a parody of Karl Rove. Colbert reported that the Super PAC still had nearly $800,000 in funds. Colbert's lawyer, Trevor Potter, advised Stephen that he could form a second anonymous 501(c)(4), then make out a check with the remaining funds to his first 501(c)(4) along with an Agency Letter which instructed the original 501(c)(4) to pay those funds to the second 501(c)(4) and give dispersal instructions to that second 501(c)(4). In doing so, he could avoid telling anyone - even the IRS - where the money went.

On December 13, 2012, Colbert reported that a nonprofit called the "Ham Rove Memorial Foundation," which Colbert was "surprised" he was on the board of, received a donation of $773,704.83, which was the amount that was left over from the Super PAC according to termination reports filed with the FEC. This money was distributed in $125,000 increments equally to four charities: DonorsChoose (Hurricane) Sandy Relief Fund, Team Rubicon, Habitat for Humanity, and the Yellow Ribbon Fund. The remaining money was split between the Campaign Legal Center and the Center for Responsive Politics, which both focus on campaign finance reform. As part of the acceptance of the "Ham Rove Memorial Fund" donation, the Campaign Legal Center agreed to name their meeting space "The Colbert Super Pac Memorial Conference Room." Additionally, the Center for Responsive Politics agreed to name their conference room "The Ham Rove Memorial Conference Room."

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

cleansheetbsc and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think it rates 0.25 Artes.

One Arte of interest is the amount of interest it takes to make the average WWII German soldier say "very interesting".

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Cheating Death" will probably survive. I don't know if the Estaban character can.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It was ok. It was a first show.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His interview with Joe Biden was incredible.

sitruc and Ismitje repped this.
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you @superdave. Based on your recommendation we watched it tonight.

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some of the questions he asked bernie sanders had me thinking, "no way any other late night host would be asking him this, whether that be from lack of forethought or audacity." it was really great to see/hear it. i really can't wait to hear what kind of questions he asks trump.

i still don't like the stand-up bit at the very beginning, but as long as he keeps having good guests, he'll always be worth a watch.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I wasn't sure if it was too pointed at first and not in the style of entertainment talk hosts, but he may be the best interviewer in late night. I almost wish he would do a single guest for the entire show. I also like that he's letting the musical guests do set type performance.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He's just as goofy IMO. Just not in a Bill O'Reilly persona.