#CancelColbert Success; Colbert Replaces Letterman

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Crimen y Castigo, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stephen Colbert, the comedian and host of Comedy Central’s “Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as host of “Late Show,” CBS’s flagship late-night franchise, when Mr. Letterman retires next year, the network announced on Thursday.

Mr. Colbert will sign on for a five-year term as the new “Late Show” host, according to the announcement from Leslie Moonves, president and chief operating officer of CBS, and Nina Tassler, chairwoman of CBS’s entertainment division.

____

I'm not sure how this will work out, but I hope it does.

Colbert is a brilliant comedian, and I think his smarts, his timing, his genteel personality and incredibly quick wit will win out -- but there is a nagging doubt that he will not be high-luminosity enough to hold the center of that vehicle.

It will also be interesting to see how a large majority of the nation reacts to discovering he's been only playing a conservative character for 10 years.

usscouse and sitruc repped this.
  2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So I'm guessing this will also retire his Colbert persona?

3. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Why wouldn't he keep his persona?

4. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His persona is a conservative idiot (his words, not mine).

He will be his own charming self -- he has to interact with real people.

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping he avoids the successor's slump . . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

usscouse, Dyvel and Belgian guy repped this.
  6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm guessing John Oliver is perfectly happy where he is, but if Letterman had retired a couple of months earlier, how likely would it have been for Oliver to pick up Colberts slot?

Also, Starburns apparently has Colbert as "Stephen" on his phone. ********ing celebs! :D

454297273766141952 is not a valid tweet id

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dare you to go to Fox News' Facebook posting, here's the link, of this and read the comments. I triple dog dare you.

sitruc and Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  8. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Don't you mean, "here's hoping he avoids the incumbent's slump?"

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    How come the right wing nutjobs love Craig Ferguson so much? :D

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a sucker.

Dante repped this.
  11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Life would be so much easier if pages like that would double in a bug zapper-type of capacity to those posting responses. The gene pool would be cleaned up in a hurry.

Dante and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Me too. Though to their credit, the commentators were relatively...

Oh, I just couldn't finish that sentence. Too hard.

No surprises, really. The sort of rightest tools who are going to flock to FB to express their anger were never going to like this choice.

13. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    #13 Stogey23, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    There's a lot of gold in that mine.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Stogey reads the Fox Facebook page so we don't have to. Thanks, man.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for that summary
    [​IMG]

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    George W found out....didn't make him happy either.

Papillon Soo Soo repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Rush Limbaugh. Not a fan.

http://t.entertainment.msn.com/rush-limbaugh-slams-stephen-colberts-late-show-deal?toc=celebs
    Rush Limbaugh wasted no time Thursday responding to the news that Stephen Colbert would replace David Letterman on CBS' "The Late Show," and the conservative talk-radio host is not happy about the choice.

In fact, Limbaugh said, he thinks the network has "declared war on the heartland of America" by hiring Colbert, whose Comedy Central show "The Colbert Report" regularly spoofs the conservative movement that Limbaugh has spearheaded.

You really care what I think about that?" Limbaugh said on Thursday's edition of "The Rush Limbaugh Show," when the topic was broached. "Well, I'll give you the short version: CBS has just declared war on the heartland of America."

Limbaugh went on to suggest that the late-night landscape — and in fact comedy as a whole — will now launch a full-scale attack on "traditional American values."

"No longer is comedy going to be a covert assault on traditional American values and now it's just wide out in the open," Limbaugh warned. "What this hire means is a redefinition of what is funny, and a redefinition of what is comedy. They're blowing up the 11:30 format under the guise that the world's changing, and people don't want the kind of comedy that Carson gave us, or even Letterman. It's media planting a flag here, and it's a declaration."

I just realized that the only difference between Rush Limbaugh and the average Fox viewer commenting on facebook is endurance. Rush can bloviate at greater length.

And I think it's funny that Limbaugh and the #cancelcolbert people miss the point in an identical manner.

usscouse repped this.
  18. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    And Rush is......The real defender of ..."traditional American values."
    That is just too funny.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Lieutenant Steven Hauk: I understand you're pretty funny as a dee-jay and, well, comedy is kind of a hobby of mine. Well, actually, it's a little more than just a hobby, Reader's Digest is considering publishing two of my jokes.
    Adrian Cronauer: Really.
    Lieutenant Steven Hauk: Yeah. And perhaps some night we could maybe get together and swap humorous stories, for fun.
    Adrian Cronauer: Oh, why not? Maybe play a couple of Tennessee Ernie Ford records, that'd be a hoot.
    Lieutenant Steven Hauk: That's a joke, right?
    Adrian Cronauer: Maybe.
    Lieutenant Steven Hauk: I get it.

This whole uproar (and not just Rush) reminds me of the exchanges between Robin Williams and Bruno Kirby in 'Good Morning Vietnam.'

And if Colbert needed any validation that his show worked, it is now Game/Set/Match Mr. Colbert.

Ismitje, Dr. Wankler and Val1 repped this.
  20. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hilarious.

Although, as a second lieutenant when that movie came out, I really really hated Bruno Kirby for a long time. Dumb LTs is my least favorite movie trope...

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I like to think Limbaugh like Colbert are both simply playing characters with the only difference being one audience doesn't know.

It will be interesting to see Colbert simply as Colbert instead of playing Colbert. I can't imagine he'll be a character on Late Night. I didn't think CBS would actually go that direction when I heard his name rumored. It will be interesting. It has been interesting to even see the differences between Fallon at 11:30 and 12:30. The jokes are a little more low brow and Leno-esque (especially political jokes), but for the most part he's still the same show. How many times can I say interesting in a paragraph? That's interesting.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given his incredibly quick wit, he has potential to be a truly great interviewer. And that's, what, 2/3 of the show?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It would've been interesting if you'd used "interesting" with scientific notation to indicate just how interesting each of you're "interestings" actually were.

Oh: And Colbert has said he won't do the show in character. Though if he occasionally did bits of the show in a character of some sort, it wouldn't be the first time. Carson had a handful he'd trot out. But I'm pretty sure once he leaves Comedy Central, we've seen that last of the head of Colbert Nation.

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Slate raises an interesting question while pointing out that he was close to the best science reporter on TV (which is sad in many ways)

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...ments_will_his_move_to_cbs_dumb_down_his.html

Stephen Colbert is one of the only news or faux-news anchors to regularly cover scientific discoveries and interview scientists. “The Colbert Report has certainly been one of the best television programs ever for showcasing scientists—and I don't just mean ‘for a comedy talk show,’” says science comedian Brian Malow. He points out that the guest who has made the most appearances is Neil deGrasse Tyson. “More than any movie star! And Tyson isn’t even the only physicist he’s featured!”

Among the other physicists Colbert has interviewed are Brian Greene, Michio Kaku, and Lawrence Krauss. He has hosted oceanographer Robert Ballard, neurophilosopher Patricia Churchland, surgeon Atul Gawande, and evolutionary biologist Neil Shubin as well as experts in science policy such as then–Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson and National Institutes of Health Director Francis Collins. The online archive of interview guests includes separate categories for “academic,” “medical,” and “scientist.”

This could change when Colbert takes over The Late Show. As Mashablenoted, “the Late Show gig would force him to shoot the breeze with all manner of celebrities.” During Letterman’s run, Late Show guests have typically been movie or TV stars. For example, this week’s guests include Tom Selleck, Zach Braff, Lindsay Lohan, Rob Lowe, and Jason Bateman. Colbert Report guests this week include mathematician Edward Frenkel and primatologist Jane Goodall.

Colbert’s transition comes at a terrible time for coverage of science....

And I guess it goes without saying that James Martin, S.J. probably won't be the official Chaplain of Late Night.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the reason why Republicans created BigSoccer, but fortunately they did not have the technology to make it happen.

At least not yet.