Canaries in a coal mine - the other teams thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen Skrtel outright rugby tackle his mark a good 8-12 times this year on set pieces without any consequence. He has been living a charmed life.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I started looking at the pen data but lost interest because it is so absurd.

What is silly is that 3 teams have such hugely +ve data, whereas teams 4, 5 and 7, who nevertheless have strongly positive GD have alarming penalty data - in 2 cases negative.

Arsenal have had -ve pen ratio every year for the last decade, even though they were at all times at least the 3rd best team in the league.

Last calendar year, Arsenal were the best team in england in terms of pts accumulated yet still had negative penalty skew.

It doesn't warrant serious analysis.

DutchCane and Tonerl repped this.
  3. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Jitty

BUT it all evens out lmao epl is really a joke but the narrative for pimping next season is written im assuming its city v pool now as the marque fixture lol

4. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Read in BBC Gossip that UEFA about to punish Citeh and PSG with a heavy fine and transfer embargo for violations of FFP. Could that shoe finally drop?

5. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Do I hope so!

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you claiming here though? The officials and FA are colluding to suppress Arsenal?

7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, obviously. ;)

EruditeHobo repped this.
  8. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Its about creating a narritive, that creates ratings and thus money. Is there more money right now in Arsenal locked in at 4th or battling it out against Everton for the remainder of the season? I personally have watched more Everton matches in 2014 than I have in all of 2013.

Historically there has been an anti-Arsenal lean in terms of the "englishness" of the team, looking at the other teams who fielded one or none British players even by teams managed by men who rollicked the club for it. Or lack of ability to take a tough game, when the challenges would be illegal in any other match. **Cough Sam Alladyce, Alan Pardew**

All this goes to creating a poisoned atmosphere where almost anything can be justified to the public because it was allowed before. How do you fight back? Even when we try and join in the physical battle stats say we are more likely to get calls go against us, receive cards, and have players sent off, then clubs who admit before the game has begun they are going to be "tough".

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I just don't know. I guess I'm still naive but I see a lot of reasons, including being unlucky with injuries and a gutless transfer policy, that explain Arsenal's profound downward trajectory over the past 10 years. It's hard for me to think back over the past number of years and have a bevy of head-scratching incidents immediately spring to mind. RVP sending off against Barca was a bad one. I guess I'm not paying close enough attention.

I don't have an answer as to their bad luck with officials, I guess the numbers don't lie. Hard to draw a straight line between that and some officiating conspiracy. It's possible though.

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thats the funniest part.

I watched a great recap of the double season a while ago on the plane to NZ, and Keown was talking through the game vs Man U at OT

He basically said that they knew the rough stuff would fly in and they would just have to cope with it.

Then he actually talks through the various incidents and the standard of reffing and the obvious bias is shocking.

The funniest thing is in the later part of the fergus era - Man U had no enforcers either - indeed they had a lightweight midfield featuring the likes of Scholes, Carrick, Giggs etc.

Yet no one roughs those players up.

Why is that I wonder....

Tonerl, footykid and DutchCane repped this.
  11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The reason we get less pens is that we have less people making runs into te box and a lack of a pacey striker, going one on one doesnt help either

Romfordray and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    For ten years?

DaPrince84, Tonerl and DutchCane repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is no "conspiracy" as such.

I'd recommend Declan Hills academic study - especially as regards match arranging in Italy and Turkey.

In those two countries, behind the official league, there is a grey market where managers, owners and chairmen arrange games and trade results.

The most obvious area (Moggi) is to make sure you get sympathetic officials appointed to your games more often than not. I am not saying the refs fix those games. What I am saying is that some refs might be biased for certain teams or politically, won't make big decisions against big managers.

So Arsenal get Webb and Dean often (v. bad) but want Friend.

Chelsea want Atkinson and not Foy.

Fergus was able to not get certain refs for over 1 year.

The second thing in Italy and Turkey is simply to trade games.

So split points 3:3

Or get a win from a team that has nothing to play for, in exchange for a favour (e.g. a transfer).

Having a strong network amongst the other chairmen/managers is essential to this grey network

e.g. you might have lots of ex players out there ;)

Of course none of these things can happen in england because it is completely honest as the day is long.

The point is that football is simply a dodgy industry with no transparency.

There is no conspiracy against Arsenal.

Its just we will do better with a Russian owner who knows how these things play :D

footykid, DutchCane and EruditeHobo repped this.
  14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, I will look into that.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Screen shot 2014-04-16 at 9.10.51 AM.png

So we have to go back 7 seasons to find a positive pen differential for Arsenal.

Despite always being in the top 4 teams

Going back through the data, it seems there is usually in the range 6-8 teams with positive differential

16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    THIS,

We don't have the tricky players other clubs do. No Hazards, No Suarez/Sturridges, No Agueros nor Silvas.

Our attack has become predictable over years and defenders can cease us without worrying about rash challenges.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #2143 The Jitty Slitter, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Nonsense.

[​IMG]

Arsenal had plenty more good shouts.

Its just for some reason only 3 were given.

Chelsea and City have conceded only 1 peno between them despite numerous infringements!

ETA

2013/14

Chelsea 7/0
    City 7/1

2012/13
    Chelsea 11/1
    City 6/2

So in the past 2 seasons Chelsea's ratio is 18/1

Meanwhile Utd didn't concede a penalty for over 2 years under Fergus

I guess they just never commit any fouls or handballs in the box :ROFLMAO:

DutchCane and charlie15 repped this.
  18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2144 charlie15, Apr 16, 2014
    Val1 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well, if masturbating the conditioning coaches is part of juve's pre-match warmups, I wouldn't much like it, either.

thepundit, fdiggidy5, AEAAFC96 and 2 others repped this.
  20. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    was Gattuso a moron? i dont get the thing about hi speaking? is italian not his first language?

21. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Amazing excerpts in that Pirlo book.

On taking a penalty against France...

"I lifted my eyes to the heavens and asked for help because if God exists, there’s no way he’s French."

NorthBank, ArsenalMetro and charlie15 repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2148 charlie15, Apr 16, 2014
    The part about Gattuso is so funny. Obviously, despite his talent on the football pitch, Gattuso was not blessed with a very high IQ.

23. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    this sounds like a good read.

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More excerpts:

Ferguson set his guard dog on me...
    Even Sir Alex Ferguson, the purple-nosed manager who turned Manchester United into a fearsome battleship, couldn't resist (man marking me). He unleashed Park Ji-sung. The midfielder must have been the first nuclear-powered South Korean in history. He rushed about the pitch at the speed of an electron.

Ibrahimovic and Onyewu tried to kill each other at Milan...
    I saw them (Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Oguchi Onyewu) laying into each other like two bullyboys from a rough estate. They looked like they were trying to kill each other: there were definitely some broken ribs, despite silence and denials from the king's buglers who said it was just a "lively confrontation".

Gattuso's word was law at Milan...
    Anyone new to the club was aware that the first thing they had to do if they made a mistake was explain themselves to Rino. Just having that knowledge drastically reduced the chances of people f*****g up.

Playing for Italy is better than sex...
    Being part of a team that belongs to everyone makes me feel good. A lot of the time it's better than sex: it lasts longer and if it falls flat, it can't just be your fault. Take someone like Antonio Cassano. He says he's slept with 700 women but he can't get picked for Italy any more. Can he really be happy? I wouldn't be.

Balotelli is a special kind of medicine...
    Mario Balotelli is an antidote to the potentially lethal poison of the racists you find in Italian grounds. They're a horrendous bunch, a herd of frustrated individuals who've taken the worst of history and made it their own.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.