Canadian Soccer League 2013 Season

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Prosoccercdn, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Season is supposedly starting later this month, should know in a couple of weeks maybe what the sports arbitrator will say about the CSL disputing their de-sanctioning for 2013. And if they will as they say go ahead with a 2013 season with or without sanctioning.

The CSL First Division has lost 5 teams since the end of last season and gained one new one to make it 12 teams as of now.

2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What new is in the article, CSL-wise?

Maybe the CSL should register themselves in that Knights of Columbus - Pembroke league.

6. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No FIFA/CSA/OSA sanctionned official is allowed to ref a non accredited league like this, nor are any players allowed to sign with other leagues. I can't imagine this actually going ahead if they lose next week.

8. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Could use recently retired officials, will be a challenge going ahead without some kind of sanctioning. Hopefully the CSA/OSA/CSL can work things out for this season so CSL can operate without being a rougue league(but all 3 of those organizations are very disfunctional unfortunately). Holding out hope though!

9. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I disagree.

I'm not certain where I read, this perhaps a cansoc forum post, but CSL's position is that they are a professional league, no different than MLS, NASL or USL and their top division is for "entertainment" as opposed to "development". They think their D2 should fulfill the mandates of the Easton report, while they remain unburdened to use and get whatever players they can.

This is paraphrasing a quote from them recently.

From my reading of the situation, CSA has tried to get them to change their mind and turn into a development focused league(which I don't think would impact their financials much, personally), but they remain steadfast. Thus the CSA is using a whole host of reasons to shut them down and make space for a new league.

As an outsider who's only interest is the development of the best Canadians, I hope this ends quickly and everyone focuses on the new league as much as possible. I'd like to hear from people who know more than me, but I don't see the CSL as a major source of young Canadians, whereas O1L (or whatever) is specifically structured around that.

10. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It came from this CSL original article: http://canadiansoccerleague.com/newsnet/templates/?a=693&z=5

"The CSL, ... considers that professional soccer is not structured for player development per se. Like the rest of the world its professional First Division is intended to fill a dual role of providing attractive soccer primarily for the benefit of the fans, while also offering a platform from which players can move to a higher level in North America and overseas. The CSL Second Division, where teams are limited to a maximum four players over the age of 23, is regarded as ideal for developmental purposes as well as providing the necessary support for teams in the upper division."

(I do have just a small question on who considers their D-2 as "ideal" for that, but not fretting over it.)

Same article: "The CSL has sought arbitration from the dispute resolution body for Canadian sports in its dispute with the CSA and a decision will be made by April 21."

...on a Sunday? Or maybe early next week?

fuzzx repped this.
  11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that the CSL is being delusional. They are a semi-pro league at best with attendances of only 100 or so people. Add to that the gambling scandal (granted I don't know how complicit or incompetent in their handling of it league management was), and they ought to recognise that very few people will take them seriously enough to be a pro league.

fuzzx repped this.
  12. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decision is out. Both sides are claiming "victory"

CSL article:
    CSL REINSTATED AS CSA-SANCTIONED LEAGUE
    Sport arbitration body rules in favour of Canada’s top league in its dispute with CSA
    http://www.canadiansoccerleague.com/newsnet/templates/?a=694

CSA article:
    Canadian Soccer Association right to de-sanction Canadian Soccer League upheld by Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada
    Posted on 23 April 2013 in Canadian Soccer Association
    http://www.canadasoccer.com/canadia...t-dispute-resolution-centre-of-canada-p153808

Other than the comedy of it all, I do have one Q on the CSL statement: It claims that Phase 2 of the Easton Report is not complete. I thought that the document posted on the ISSUU site was Phase 2.

13. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think its a fair decision and good to have D3 soccer in Ontario with the CSL rather than having no D3 league for 2013 as L1o isnt ready this year and who knows if ever. CSL is on borrowed time though and if they even have any chance to survive past 2013 they must make an effort to put in mechanism's to prevent match fixing and publicise it, and make a plan for a regional Western Canada division to fit in with the Easton report and work with CSA somehow.

CSA is clearly the loser in the decision, its press release is also incorrect in that the de-sanctioning is effective Feb 13 2014 not the end of the 2013 season.

14. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schedule.2 has been posted last night. Twelve teams, 132 total matches.

Astros Vasas FC
    Brampton City Utd
    Burlington SC
    Kingston FC
    London City
    Niagara United
    SC Waterloo
    Serbian White Eagles
    St. Catharines Roma Wolves
    Toronto Croatia
    Windsor Stars
    York Region Shooters

16. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    250 fans in Kingston for the season opener.

http://www.thewhig.com/2013/05/05/kingston-fc-victorious

Despite everything, I do hope the entire situation gets finalized soon and that teams can remain in many of these cities. I'd hate to see everything go down the tubes with nothing to replace it.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pieces of news from Msilver's link:

"the new league... hopes to announce the franchises during the NSCAA Convention in Philadelphia in January."

"The APS's playoff will feature an inter-league format, with the championship game played between APS and CSL teams."