Canada's Quest for 2014 WC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jul 3, 2010.

1. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The CSA has accepted Stephen Hart's resignation

Guarda-Redes repped this.
  2. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Calgary only has the Flames and the Stampeders, no? So that's June to October.....Just saying, April til June is a complete monopoly, a lot of merit in a team there, NASL or MLS. Problem is Stampeders play on turf (last I checked). Turf is a no-no for any viable club.

3. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    On the subject of games in other cities in Canada, they should definitely happen now that we're out of qualifying. Montreal, Moncton, Ottawa once Landsdowne is ready, maybe Quebec City/Halifax? There are two problems going west of Ontario: 1) the turf and 2) the distance from Europe. The less time zones Europeans have to cross, the better. But they could still be options for friendly games, especially if they involve North American based players.
    Not surprised by Hart's decision. I'd like him to stay at some capacity though, whether it's assistant coach or technical director. Also, we had a couple nice gold cup runs under him. Certainly a better coach than Dale Mitchell.

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yep....you can't be viable on turf (looking at you Seattle/Portland/Vancouver/Spartan Moscow) ;)

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Okay, our Quest for 2014 WC is over, as is the conversation about it. This thread will now be closed.

There are several new, and good, topics that have been raised here, I invite any interested parties to start new threads along those veins.

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ***BUMP***

On a side note: Canada has qualified for the 2015 World Cup of Rugby. I think that I am going to change my favourite sport. We've made it every time since 1987.

It's a shame that rugby gets even less attention than soccer in this country.

fuzzx repped this.