Canada's Quest for 2014 WC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jul 3, 2010.

1. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wow, with all of the excitement going on in Europe, I didn't notice that our game was this afternoon.

Didn't see it, but certainly the result was right, 1-0 for us, not good that Hirschfeld got a red.

If we can beat Honduras at home next week, we'll be in a very nice position.

4. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I thought Hirschfeld actually did really well up until the good, looked really solid on a difficult service...it was only a matter of time until he misjudged a bounce and it cost him, but thankfully it didnt really cost us.
    We were the better team overall, which isnt saying much since Cuba are an absolutely horrendous side, but still, it was hot, humid, the pitch was atrocious, the Jamaican ref was against us (he really hasn't improved at all from his champions league game on March 7), but we still won. We concacaf'd a result. Great performance and start in my books

5. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is a good start for Canada a win in Cuba and lets hope it builds up their confidence even more. Also about Hoillet if his club issues are solved I want him to make a decision right away about which country he will represent and let it be over afterwards hope he chooses Canada. Hope for a home win next for the Canadian squad lets make this quest a reality for all of Canada.

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think losing Lars is a big deal tbh. Unless you're one of the people who thinks he's that much better than Borjan or Stamatopoulous, I think we'll be just fine. Keeper is a position where we've got depth and compared to last years past when we had unproven guys like Haider Al-Shaibani, Roberto Giacomi or Josh Wagenaar as back ups heading into a Gold Cup.

7. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree and I believe at some point Borjan might become our number 1 keeper.

8. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think the loss of Lars won't hurt us too badly because we have a fair bit of parity among our GK options. Not much to choose between Borjan and Hirschfeld at the moment.

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The result in the Panama/Honduras game has me nervous. Honduras was the country that was sure to go through while we'd be fighting off Panama for the other.

Hopefully last night's result means that Honduras is not as good as they were in the 2010 qualifying and not the Panama is even stronger than we thought.

10. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I can pretty much guarantee Panama is stronger then a lot of people on here wrote they were. I can't tell about Honduras though I guess we will all find out in the Toronto game

11. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, Honduras are nowhere near as good as they were before. Panama are probably the group favourites now. Either way, we still have to win Tuesday

12. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All i know is that Canada has got to go for it all home and away we do have the better talents but it got to come together each game. I am hoping for all three points on Tues and that gives us a chance to move on the next round.

13. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Just a USA fan stopping by to congratulate Canada on the win in Cuba and wish you luck against Honduras. Like many other Americans, I'm rooting for Canada to make it back to the hex where they belong.

cloak repped this.
  14. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As a representative of Canada we accept your congratulations... jk Yes I would love to see Canada finally make it to the Hex but not just make it qualify for it all. That's the quest!!

15. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Stephen Hart's squad management is very suspect. Will Johnson was a train wreck all night and plays 90 minutes anyway? He was poor in Cuba as well, how dare Hart complain about squad depth, with cowardly coaching displays like that. Of course it's difficult to score if you don't take a chance.

16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    well, after 2 matches

Panama 6pts
    Canada 4
    Honduras 1
    Cuba. 0

A lot will depend on those September matches. Canada is home/away with panama while Honduras should be gaining 6 points v Cuba

17. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Should have won with the chances Canada missed.

Everything hinges on those games in September.......Jackson starting in place of Jonhson or leidgterwood will make the difference imho.

18. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Jackson shouldn't be put in that kind of defensive responsibility, he's an out and out front man. but you can question why Hume was used ahead of him, or why Occean stayed on more than 80 minutes despite clearly being gassed after 60. (though i'm glad Occean is starting, his form is fantastic.)

Piette (or Pacheco) could've easily taken up Johnson's position. an out of position Nakajima-Farran, even. Hart's stubbornness and unwillingness to modify or react to the game in front of him will always hold us back. Not going for the win at home and burying Honduras is merely a reflection of his personal self-preservation, because in the long run for the national team, needing a final game result in Honduras will prove to be less attainable. 6 points ahead after 2 games and maybe that game could've been an exhibition instead.

19. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As an out-and-out front man, Jackson has been dreadful for Canada. He does his best work for the CMNT on the right wing.

Oh, BS. We played well, the tactics last night were fine. We generated numerous chances in the setup Hart threw out on the pitch and limited Honduras to one, perhaps two real chances. Last night's draw comes down to the players not finishing all of the chances they had in front of goal. We had five solid, easy headers into the net that were fired wide, two in extra time. How in the hell does any of that come down to Hart?

I have to question whether you even watched the match. Johnson made one mistake that I saw, the rest of the time he was raising hell for the Hondurans in midfield and winning nearly every man-to-man ball he got involved in. His linking play with DeRo, JDG, and Hutch was examplary.

Last night's performance was excellent, all except for the finishing in front of goal.

20. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sometimes I come away from matches wondering if I was at the same match as the people I hear mumbling in the tunnel over to Liberty Village. Last night was a perfect example. I had Will Johnson as my MOTM and I thought the ref did a really good job of getting the important calls right.

As I walked away from the stadium (ears open) I think I could sense rumblings of a duel-lynching being organised for those two!

RedCoatsforever repped this.
  21. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    you two have got to be kidding me. Johnson was a turnover machine all night, plus half of his dead ball deliveries were poor, and his only attempt on target was atrocious. his adequate defensive game (adequate), simply does not make up for it.

did we really have as many chances as you think we did, though? i don't believe so. we had next to nothing troubling target from the ground and couldn't connect with a few headers in the final 10 minutes. big deal. maybe we score if Hart gives his team 90 minutes to win it instead of just 10.

i'm not saying the 4 points or performances have been disappointing, but like i said, if we get eliminated in Honduras you'll look back on Hart's uber-conservative approach with less reverence.

22. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can we all agree who the least impressive "Canadian" @ BMO was last night?

23. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thinks a lot of himself, doesn't he?

Methinks the lad is in for a rude awakening.

24. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Considering the available midfield options the Dutch have.....yes.

25. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well he at least made his decision and now we move on from there to find out what Hoillet wants to do for his international career. Anyways Sept is going to be a big month for Canada and I'm hoping that Canada have more friendlies to build up a bit more chemistry with this squad. The quest goes on in Sept.