Canada WNT 2014

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by bythesea, Jan 2, 2014.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #26 luvdagame, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    well, she had no interest in even playing the game this last year before her coach talked her into it. so there may be a reason why neither the u.s. nor canada is interested in such an unmotivated player. they have enough trouble as it is.

of course, she might be thinking differently after such a successful year, and she might be under personal or parental (her dad being a celebrated Canadian athlete) pressure to make the right decision without becoming leroux.2.

so let's give it some time.... she just might show up in a u.s. u23 camp, or a canadian senior team camp in the next few months.

if indeed she does not have world class $$making track and field speed, i fully expect her to find her way into football. she seems to have such prodigious soccer talent.

2. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Herdman rolled the lines in Brazil and even played 15/16 year old's, the intent was evaluation.

In 2010 the U17's also eliminated the Americans from the World Cup, in 2012 they were 0-1 in the final. Three finals in three years. The Americans, one.

For a team that's nothing without Sinclair and a tournament that was the Sinclair show interesting they won a bronze medal and she didn't score a game-winning or game-tying goal in any of the six games.

3. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Women's soccer can be incredibly intense. Short camps and seasons with enormous physical and mental demands. If you're on the men's side and there's millions of dollars in upside in contracts you can ride it out to the bank (or bust), but on the women's side it's a lot more difficult to stay driven and focused. Especially if you're the type of athlete to put everything into what you do. And especially if you're balancing a full scholastic or employment workload. You never hear a lot about burnout but it's a pretty conducive environment for it.

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Then why did you take Quon? Seriously youth players change what team they play with all the time. It's not that big of a deal. And I know Canada doesn't have any official games right now, but I think she would be less inclined to file her one-time switch to the US (which would mean she could never go back to playing for Canada) if she is getting a full CanWNT callup.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    if you take too narrow a look at your fave nation's soccer development/results, it's easier to say we're doing great or we're doing a lousy job.

in my biased view, when i watched those u17 games when the canadians kept the u.s. out of the world cup, the u.s. players/program/style of play still looked the better. and as i look at the wider program or later development i think it is indeed true.

still sucked that we lost.

6. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Because she's a fantastic player who wanted to play internationally.

Perhaps you've mistaken my comment. It was about malicious intent. I see none of that here. Quon is a great fit given Canada's wide back pool, the American's are neck-deep and not utilizing her, and it's my understanding it wasn't high pressure sales or a con job and the people involved don't operate like that.

I also don't think she's had a cap.

7. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Canada cannot and never will look as good as the Americans. To quote an ex-American national youth coach last week - no one will ever catch up to the size and athleticism of the American player pool. My thoughts were perhaps one day places like Brazil and China, but certainly not a country 1/10th the size.

We have great youth results and we're converting to our senior program well. If someone say's that's a problem they're ill informed, cup-half-empty or disgruntled. We have less of a problem right now than we've had in decades.

Game-Ball repped this.
  8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    And what if the same can be said of Courtnall? I really don't think anyone can force her to play against her will at this level (even if for some strange reason her hockey playing dad was adamant that she play soccer... she is over 18 she can do what she wants).

Uh... what? Are you saying Courtnall has some malicious intent? She would only play with Canada in order to bring them down or something? :confused:

She hasn't, but she filed her one-time confederation switch and is now tied to Canada permanently, even if she never gets a cap (although with her being an allocated player, I expect they intend to cap her at some point).

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i'm an american soccer supporter and i don't believe this. it may be difficult, but it takes vision and determination. the dutch are a small country and yet produce better soccer players than many much larger nations.

so what? spain doesnt measure up to many other nations in size and athleticism, but they are world and euro champions.

the americans should not be running away from their size and athleticism advantage (like it seems to me they're doing), but those are not the only or even the most important factors in the game.

canada needs to believe.

10. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    #35 law10, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    I grew up watching the Courtnall's and they carried themselves and always spoke with enormous class, anyone who saw it could never even conceive they would stand in the way of what someone wanted to do, let alone their own child. Godspeed to her wherever she plays, although it sounds like she has enough God-speed already.

i.e. on the part of a federation, not an individual.

Thanks for that I had no idea.

And yet bigger than Belgium, Greece, Portugal, the Czechs, Hungary, Sweden, Belarus, Austria, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Serbia, Denmark, Finland, Slovakia, Norway, Ireland, Croatia, Bosnia, Lithuania, Albania, Slovenia, Latvia, Estonia, Iceland, etc.

The bigger European countries of note are Germany, France, Spain, Italy and England. The Ukraine, Poland and Romania are bigger but their domestic scene is pillaged (Behind the Curtain, good cottage read). Kind of like Russian hockey before the resurgence of the KHL. Russia is always a case of it's own.

The Dutch are a football nation. I've been there many times when the Oranje are playing and every bar and patio in the country are full. Canada is a hockey nation, when Canada is playing (outside of an Olympic vogue) no one even knows it let alone watches it.

The Dutch have a ridiculous amount of elite coaches even compared to places like the UK. Check that figure out sometime, it will blow your mind. Their academy system is one of the best in the world. The other problem is in the women's game Canada has sold it's soul to the American system at the NCAA, semi-pro and professional level. You can't develop a culture and style when you're marginalized in your neighbours. Ergo and queue the pilot changes to CIS women's hockey scholarships to keep our best players in the country (and not the NCAA) and do just that.

Uruguay may have been a better analogy than the Dutch. Think it's something in the water down there.

Spain are one of the biggest populated countries in Europe, which is where three of the last four World Cup winners have come from. They're also a footballing culture to the core and country with a 12-month climate.

And they haven't always been great. In 2006 they lost to France in the quarters, 2002 to South Korea same, 1998 Paraguay came out of group instead of them, in 1994 it was Italy.

Spain will have their day and then fade into the sunset like the Dutch before them. The inevitable rise and fall. On the other hand the Germans, Italians and Brazilians will keep appearing in finals. And in women's football it will be the Germans and Americans. Size ebbs and flows, it doesn't rise and fall once in a generation.

Your point is valid and well taken, as were the comments of the American coach. Compared to the United States, Canada is out-gene-pooled 10-1, out invested 10-1, and out climate-ed (especially topical this year). Like the Dutch and the Spanish men we will have our moments, and with the right planning, timing and coaching we will taste greatness. But we will never be regulars or at the level of the Americans or Germans.

Namdynamo and Gilmoy repped this.
  11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    good points.

somehow, I still think that canada can do better. maybe take better advantage of the u.s. college system and go from there.

12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If we're talking just about women's soccer, I'm not sure some of your points are valid(at least your last paragraph)

"out-climate-ed" 3 of fifa's top 10, Sweden, Norway & Germany are from countries with rather cold climates, with several other top 20(close) countries as well in Iceland, Finland, Denmark, Holland

"out invested" Canada is spending a helluva money updating their stadiums for the upcoming wc's this year. I think it's fair to say they got the money if need be. One thing that's important to note, unlike men's soccer, women's soccer flourishes most if not some of the riches countries in the world, then at least the most industrialized, most educated , most modern countries, with North Korea & Brazil being the probable exceptions.

"out-gene-pooled 10-1" you mentioned Ice Hockey as Canada's most played sport? Is this for females as well? I have not kept up with women's Ice hockey but aren't the US & Canada about equal? I live in the south and in female leagues in Ice Hockey down here about.......ZERO!. Lived in Southern Cal, Arizona& Nevada. So where ever female hockey is played(probably in Minnesota/Wisconsin). We're making do without the supposed 10-1 superiority, as well as Sweden & Norway make do in women's soccer with their small populations playing in cold climates

13. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Last I checked (before the Turin Olympic) it was, at least in team sports.
    Not really, US is the clear no 2 and only team that on a good day can beat Canada, no one else can, and US will lose at least 3 times out of 4. [Finland and Sweden was no 3 and 4 and can on a good day beat US but never Canada, that is why I follow women's ice hockey when it get close to the Olympic winter games]

14. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    The climate statement was a direct comparison of Canada to the USA (people, money, climate).

You listed a number of countries and for evaluation, compare the countries you listed and they operate in a similar situation with population and climate.

Germany has never lost to Iceland and they are 50+ goals for a 3 against.

Norway had a head start on the entire planet in women's football but in the past five years Germany has regularly beat them by multiple goals. The Norwegians got by them once in the Euro but that was a rare ebb in the German team (their first loss in the tournament in many years if I remember right) and they still got by Norway (at their moment - with great planning, timing and coaching) in the final.

Sweden are 2-5 against the Germans in friendlies since the millenium but haven't beat or tied Germany in seven competitive matches since then.

Denmark and Germany have never played a competitive game.

Since the Dutch tied Germany in 2000 they have lost six straight, scoring once and giving up 26 goals.

How many places in the U.S. have snow on the ground four to five months? They play through the winter in Germany. You can do that in half the USA as well. Try that in Canada. There's been snow since November in many places. In the past couple months there have been arctic air fronts sweep the Prairies, Ontario and Quebec. It's routinely -20 to -30C and that's before windchill. You're lucky to survive 90 seconds outside in shorts.

Canada isn't spending a dime. There is no money to spend. The games are being played in leased football stadiums. The federation has no money.

It's a parity situation not an offset either direction. Canada has 600k registered players and the USA 500k, both growing at the same rate. I'm not sure if they still do but U.S. Hockey used to outspend Hockey Canada on their national team.

And although it's always been the case in the past, the US is no longer the clear #2. They won the last World Championship and beat Canada four straight times in December including 5-1 and 4-1 wins. The Canadian team is in a bit of turmoil. There was a big fiasco a month ago where the coach stepped down because he didn't feel supported and was last-minute replaced by an ex-NHL'er for the Olympics. Then earlier this week, Hayley Wickenheiser who had been captain the past decade (and played men's 2 in Sweden) had it stripped. Nothing like getting your hat handed to you stir the pot.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    You might want to check the IIHF rankings...
    The US just beat Canada 4 games in a row.

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I for one feel that Canada's women's NT soccer team has done exceptionally well. It's got obviously the Olympic bronze to prove that. Herdman taking his lumps n bumps now with starting 15 year old, Fleming, 16 year old Yekka, or even the 18 year old Buchanan, might be a stroke of genius! or his downfall? only time will tell. But I think the future looks bright!
    28K attendance for the US & 20K for Mexico, show that Canadians are interested. It be crazy for the government or the soccer federation not to take notice, or spend money on it's team, especially since the WC will bring a lot of exposure to Canada, or at least tourist money.

and not sure if the Saskatchewan prairie girl, Kaylyn Kyle, shares your assessment on the weather on the plains, lol
    Kaylyn-Kyle-Twitter.jpg

17. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    That's the Mandalay in Vegas. 46C when I was there last summer. But easier to take than 27C and the wall of humidity up here.

This would be Saskatchewan in the summer:

[​IMG]

And near the U.S. border in the winter:

[​IMG]
    source: Branimir Gvetvaj

18. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  19. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    As mentioned elsewhere a number of young Canadians have recently signed to play overseas. Tiffany Cameron, Christina Julien and Alyscha Mottershead are going to Germany and Shannon Woeller is going to Norway. If this had been happening over the last five years maybe there would be some depth in the NT program now. It's a promising trend for the future at least.

20. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Actually it has been happening for the past five years. Players like Matheson, Wilkinson, Zurrer, Andrews, Parker, Labbé, Baxter, Kyle, Moscato, Hansen, Solsberg, Vermeulen, McCormack , Ramsay, Sjoman...

21. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In keeping with the CSA's plan to play in all six WWC cities before 2015, today it was announced that we'll be playing the Americans again on May 8th in the 'Peg. An announcement on the opponents for games in Edmonton and Vancouver will come tomorrow and Wednesday respectively.

22. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Oh, I was thinking of players other than the NT regulars. It's a pretty small group.

23. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    The World Cup is a strong motivator. Another factor would be zilch options domestically and greater professionalism everywhere else. Julien is a gypsy, which with short-term and failing options is probably a good way to describe every professional North American woman playing the game the past 10-15 years. Wish them all good times and good fortune.

24. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    imo, heading overseas after college to play professionally is to late for North Americans. Nobody will learn to play like a Spaniard or Brazilian unless they grow up in the culture and live the football life.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, how can North American countries hope to succeed like those countries have that way?