Canada WNT 2013

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by bythesea, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Dang. I was just about to applaud France for breaking their win less streak...

Good for Canada. They have a knack of drawing a goal back in regulation.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    canadasoccer says it was Cameron with the cross to Kyle. Hard to tell from my feed. I thought it was Sinc.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    French commentators blame rain.

4. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What did Wendie say about her "injury"? Is she ok?

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    One of those stadiums where the visitors are caged.

Dangerous looking bunch.

[​IMG]

Gilmoy repped this.
  6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stream was flawless in 1H. Toward the end of 2H, it became like a slide show with intermittent noises.

Oh, you meant the players :p France looked like Dutch men vs a bunker in 1H, and most of 2H to about 80'. Canada never sent numbers forward.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Way too quick for my French. need to talk at the pace French keeper was restarting.

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, they're on the outside looking in at us!

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Haha. My feed just got a bit blurry at the end. I think that was camera lense wet. Just got 7 Meg Internet feed, though.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    did you hear that or are you just making it up?

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    she says it still hurts but there was no twist or strain, she just got cleated on the knee when she was down.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Like I said, my French is like a bad Internet feed, but they showed sideways rain and talked conditions.

I took one semester of French in 1959

My Portuguese is pretty good :)

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    89' - last sub for France. Sandrine Soubeyrand celebrates her 192nd cap and comes in for Le Sommer

90' - first ball touched, first ball lost by Sandrine Soubeyrand

92' - Sandrine Soubeyrand tries a right-footed outside shot, kills a seagull

95' - France playing at 10 with Renard on the sidelines, Sandrine Soubeyrand loses a 50-50 ball in midfield, 1-1.

i thought we were getting off cheap: grandmama getting a step closer to that 200th cap until which we are doomed to see her in every match by playing no more than a few minutes. sigh...

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    no there was no blaming the rain. the only excuse they tried to find was that wendie wasn't on the pitch. comments that france was very strong in the first half and had a shaky second one with canada being more offensive. actually the tide really only turned around 65'- 70' but france did fade fast.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    their site was completely down (maintenance it said) when i went there hoping to find a stream. they do matchtrackers but better ones are always found here.

there's always at least one sideline interview during play (after all, the coach isn't playing!) though some have an assistant handle it. but that's nothing! in brazil they even interview players lining up to take a corner kick.

it was indeed necib.

not the same girl actually; the first was ELS, the second tonazzi; in between tonazzi hit a swell 25m shot that mcleod tipped for a corner.

oh well. thanks for the running commentary gilmoy, as i've said before you're excellent at it.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I just said France was poorer in the second. I didnt say they were shakey.

But as it turned out, what would you say?

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I watched the River Plate relegation playoff a couple of years ago and the Center Ref ( Elionzo?) explained to the cameras how he was going to deal with a fan delay. And a red card

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    no that's what they said. more or less. what do i say? i say that france dominated in midfield for over an hour (funny how they always do that when soubeyrand's not playing) but used up a lot of energy doing it. necib was wrung out and catala should have come in for her instead of for thomis. when soubeyrand came in (and for ELS who was still giving a lot of help on defense) it effectively meant france had two MF's with no juice, since soubeyrand hasn't broken into a true run or won a 50-50 ball in 18 months.

if i was a bad sport i'd point out that at the moment canada scored france had exactly 30' of central defending experience on the field since it was anaïg butel's first cap and wendie was on the sidelines, but the goal might have happened anyway, losing a ball like that in midfield always catches a defense off guard.

hard lines for bouhaddi who was crying her eyes out afterwards. i wonder if BB said anything to her; he's a great one for getting in his little digs on players he's not fond of and he's not fond of sarah.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    We're the defenders that started gassed? I have watched 4 or 5 France games in a row where France's conditioning is suspect.

Perhaps the French league is played at a slower pace.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    at the end as i said there were no defenders on the field... except 21 year old anaig. necib was gassed but she is not particularly robust, it's constitutional. soubeyrand is always gassed. the others seemed alright, but obviously not fresh as spring daisies. if you play you know that slogging over a field like that really takes it out of you.

the french league is played at a slower pace. but look at OL (and juvisy too) in the champions league and they actually start steamrolling their opponents in the last 20-30 minutes.

france's conditioning may seem suspect, but then why is OL's conditioning their secret weapon? two reasons:

first, the fatigue factor at the end of matches is more mental than physical. and patrick lair goads his players into being warriors; bini sings songs and writes poetry for his.

second, OL has a deeper team and can replace tired players with others just as good. Bini makes poorer roster choices and less intelligent substitutions. catala for necib instead of for thomis, and houara for thiney instead of soubeyrand for le sommer and none of this unpleasantness (viewed from a french perspective) happens. and that, mutatis mutandis, is the story of our lives, over this series of disappointing draws... and even farther back.

21. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I noticed the crying too. I wasn't sure if it was because of the last-second goal or something else. If that last part is true, that is so uncool and amateurish on Bruno's part.:rolleyes:

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Both teams slogged over the same pitch.

Canada had to chase the entire game.

Canada was relatively better at the end than at any point in the game.

I don't know enough about the champions league. Maybe nobody in Europe trains.

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thiney had a chance to put it away in the 74th min. Where was Necib? Killed Canada in possession and style (I saw dribbling that equaled Ronaldinho or Messi at times) but no goals as usual. If you blanket Delie, then maybe they get a goal from Thomis (today) or Le Sommer, but that mid-field is no where to be found against top flight competition. I'm going to start putting this on Bruno. Does he understand change?

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Maybe, if he told the French players to kill time. To me, it didn't look like they needed any coaching in that regard.

When France started stalling, it allowed Canada to catch their breath and get into the game just a little.

A little is all it took.

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    be it known i know NOTHING about any such thing tonight; it is the most idle kind of speculation on my part.

but i will say that different things he's done in the past would mean that i would not be the least surprised to read such a thing sime day. he is a little, spiteful man.