Canada WNT 2013

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by bythesea, Jan 2, 2013.

1. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this tournament use up Sinclair's suspensions?

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. From the Equalizer article:

3. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Isn't it a four game suspension?

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sat 01/12: China 0-1 Canada, Norway 2-0 South Korea.
    Goals from Elise Thorsnes ("toosh-ness") and Leni Larsen Kaurin.

5. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    So I watched the game replay put up by WPS moment. Was looking for specifically Ashley Lawrence since she committed to West Virginia. She is a sublime dribbler and reminds me alot of Erika Tymrak who played for the Florida Gators and is draft eligible this year. This U17 World Cup tournament, the Eurosport announcers were raving about her technical skills and I agree she was very impressive. So I was slightly disappointed that she didn't make an appearance in the match, she stayed on the bench. But I expect to see her get capped in this 4 nations tournament.

The match against China was intresting, very disorganized effort by Canada but I can understand, half their lineup were new players so the midfield for Canada was under siege all game long. It was very hard for them to link up with their forwards since players were not where they were suppossed to be, you can see many missed passes between the players. The lack of playing experience between the team was very evident.

One player did pick up my attention and it was Kadeisha Buchanan the 17yrs old starting centerback for Canada. Even though she blew a few defensive plays by taking aggressive angles in defending players, forcing her to take one yellow for a missed tackle but what she displayed impressed me alot. Buchanan is tall, lanky and VERY mobile for a centerback, you simply do not see centerbacks with this mobility. They are usually tall players that are there to challenge target forwards, but mobility isn't a key trait for them. Then add to that is her athletic ablity and her good ball movement skills and I can see alot of upside with her. She was outjumping players for airballs and she made this one quick rush up the field which you just don't expect in a centerback to do. At 17, this girl looks raw when she is playing against adults, but give her a few years of experience and she will be a stud. I can see why Canada brought her to the 4 nations cup.

I'm going to need to find out which college this girl is going to play so I can keep tabs on her.

6. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Kadeisha Buchanan is going to WVU with Ashley Lawrence. Yes, they are impressive 17-year-olds. Lawrence was a late sub, for Sophie Schmidt. (So WVU fans will note that the two get to play alongside Bry McCarthy for Canada but not for WVU. On a similar note, Nichelle Prince got to play with Tiffany Cameron.)

The first half was very ragged, as we should have expected. Canada, I thought, had the advantage in the second half, with the Chinese hardly threatening. It had the look of a practice drill. The Canadians kept up the short passing even though they didn't look all that comfortable and kept possession without making progress. They often passed short when the area was getting congested instead of looking for more space. The midfielders were also dribbling an unprecedented amount for the CNT. Many times they made the wrong decision to dribble but got away with it because they could overpower the Chinese one-on-one.

7. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mon 01/14: South Korea 3-1 Canada, China 0-1 Norway

From Norway's FA site, Melissa Bjånesøy subbed in(?) at 81', and lobbet ballen fra 16-meteren, over keeperen is the same in any language :D

6+3 (+3-0) Norway (needs W or D vs. Canada)
    3=0 (+3-3) South Korea (needs { W 3+ and Canada W 1 } or { W >= Canada W })
    3-1 (+2-3) Canada (needs { W > South Korea W } or { W 2+ and South Korea ~W })
    0-2 (+0-2) China (cannot win cup)

assuming HTH as a tiebreaker if points and GD are tied

9. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    China's taller #1 keeper who played the first game should have been subbed in at 81' too...

10. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Highlights of Canada - South Korea are up on the CSA site. We are reminded why Robyn Gayle has not managed to win the starting RB spot.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wed 01/16:
    中国 (middle country = China) 2-0 韩国 (han country = South Korea)
    挪威 (Norway) 0-0 加拿大 (jia-na-da = Canada) (funny: 大 = large, big)

Scores and Unicode from China's FA site.
    South Korea's FA site lists the fixture, but not the result.
    Neither Canada nor Norway mention the match not involving them.

Canada's team trophy photo from Xinhua. Everybody gets flowers!

7+3 (+3-0) Norway
    4-1 (+2-3) Canada
    3=0 (+2-2) China
    3-2 (+3-5) South Korea

12. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  13. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, man, were they playing in that pollution? Tournament should have been moved to somewhere else - Singapore, Tibet? Anywhere else in China. Seriously.

14. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Chengdu's already pretty far west. Where would you have them play? Guizhou, Yunnan and Tibet are all at incredible altitudes, and Xinjiang is prone to violent upheaval. China's got serious problems wherever you go.

15. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    An announcement likely forthcoming on a match with France April 4 in Nantes.

16. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  17. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  18. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  20. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Window is two games I believe.

21. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
  22. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    You know, I really do think this is their time. A world class performance in the 2015 Cup could make this Canada's Mia Hamm generation.

23. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    The CSA commissioned a study of the feasibility of a Division 2 men's professional league in Canada. http://canadasoccer.com/canada-socc...ivision-ii-soccer-viability-in-canada-p153255 The summary document recommends the establishment of a Division 3 semi-pro men's U23 development league, made up of three or four regional leagues. Note that there is a line which recommends that the clubs involved also have a women's team.

24. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  25. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    So what was the outcome of the WNT camp in Florida this past week... Haven't seen any comments anywhere....