Canada vs USA U20: 2/26 CONCACAF U20

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, better than Domenech.

2. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Wow, my mistake. I guess I was conflating with the rule about not being offside on a goal kick.

3. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Goal kick.

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. If a goal keeper puts the ball in his own net off a goal kick, the restart is a corner kick for the opposing team.

5. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Actually, this time I think I'm right. This thread is edifying.

6. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends. The ball has to leave the penalty area first. If the ball leaves the penalty area and goes into the goal, it's a corner kick.

Example: Notice that the referee got the call wrong

But this is way off topic.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Tuesday evening can't come soon enough.

8. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.

"Directly" means without anyone touching it. It doesn't matter what path the ball takes. You can't score an own goal directly from a restart.

10. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody who posts the entire article can expect a nice infraction for copyright infringement.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I did not see the first game but in the time Miller was on the pitch he seemed like he was constantly a step behind the play and Boyd did not, he was our worst player in the first half.

The mid is what I would go with but my forward lineup will influence how it plays.

Mario has a touch of class but he doesn't create enough danger to make up for his Ronaldinho-like defensive effort. He's our 5th or so classiest player and as such he needs to serve the games of the 4 guys better than him. What I would give for a forward like Boyd to make this team's attack work. I don't know Kieswetter or Allen enough to say whether they could fill that role and make his teammates look like stars. That's why I lean towards the 4-6-0 with Garcia providing a lot of energy and defensive effort to free up Gil, Villarreal, and Cuevas.

13. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing earth-shattering in the article.

The gist of it is that the team has been meh through 2 games, but Miller/Ocegueda have stablized the D, but Tab needs to find the right combination up top.

14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  15. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    My question: Why is he figuring out all of this stuff now? Didn't he have two years to figure this stuff out? It isn't like he hasn't been through the under 20 cycle before. It isn't like he hasn't been seeing these guys playing in games.

Why did we have two years of preparation? We could have just had Tab scout for a couple of years and then have a tryout just before qualifying. It would have been the same result and it would have been cheaper. For people who think I am overreacting, keep in mind that the most successful Under 17 team BY FAR was the one that met four months before the tournament. Training only works if it is purposeful, organized, and completely thought through. What I have seen so far is a team that is working out it's priorities and it's playing relationships on the go.

The standards for American soccer coaches really shock me at times. Having said all of that - we still can beat Canada, but holy crap!

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, now I'll be depressed even if we win...

soccersubjectively repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    At this age just roll out the ball and let them play.

18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Been saying, ranting about it for years. Just worn out.

Decades, gonna take decades.

19. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope we stick with the 4-5-1 possession game. Cuevas and Joya on the wings. Villarreal behind a striker. Trapp and Gil in the middle.

20. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Youth is wasted ...

ImaPuppy, Sandon Mibut and Gorky repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well we tabbed a guy to be coach who had essentially zero experience coaching at this level. He has much less experience than even a guy like Caleb Porter had. His experience is based on his past as a player, not as a guy constructing and preparing a team for this kind of competition.

Tab probably thought he had figured his roster out, and then the Haiti game was a good ole-fashined slap in the face.

I think it's truly possible that Ramos HAD identified Ocegueda and Miller as his starting fullbacks. Then he decided to give his back-ups a run-out there against Haiti. In other words, he viewed the Haiti game as potentially the easiest game of the tournament........................and it almost cost him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true at forward. I personally think he identified Kiesewetter as his #1 forward. But he wanted to start him against Costa Rica (and the subsequent important matches). Thinking that Haiti was potentially the easiest game of the tournament for us, he wanted to give Mario a start. He brought Jerome off the bench, and he got a yellow card. He thus didn't want to start Jerome against Costa Rica for fear that he'd pick up that second yellow.

So we still haven't started our #1 forward in a match. We begged Stuttgart to release him for the tournament (they were reportedly reluctant to do so), and in our last game we used him as a garbage-time sub. Um, what?

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

23. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
  24. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'd run out tonight:
    ................................Cropper..................................
    Miller...........Stanko..............O'neil.........Ocegueda
    .......................Trapp.............Gil.............................
    ...............................Villarreal.................................
    Joya....................Keisewetter....................Cuevas

But that's not what we're going to see. My prediction for the game, with what we are going to see, is a 1-0 win, with a goal scored early and then 80 minutes of nerves for us as Ramos inexplicably plays defensively for the remainder of the game, resulting in a combination of amazing saves from Cropper and Canadian players missing sitters.

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win or go home.