Canada vs USA U20: 2/26 CONCACAF U20

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Feb 23, 2013.

1. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Canada beat Costa Rica in Costa Rica last fall. How are they not in the same class as Costa Rica?

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure why people think Canada is the favorite here. They lost to Cuba (admittedly with terrible finishing), and they beat a pretty bad Nicaragua team that played with 10 men for 50 minutes. Canada also conceded a goal while playing a man up.

This should be a fairly even game. Thankfully Canada has similar tactics to Costa Rica, so the US had good practice in the group stage.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    In an official match, when it counted, Canada lost to Cuba. Sadly for you guys, winning in official matches is what matters

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you?

aw072760, Zoidberg and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will a US youth national team choke again? I hope not.

6. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because then we don't look as stupid as we would if we puffed our chests and talked trash before a loss to a team like Uzbekistan. Besides that, not many of our recent results have given us much to brag about.

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I guess it's easy to be cocky since we have been going all Barca on these teams over the last several years, and getting result after result after result, and winning medals, youth tourneys or at least going deep in each one.

Still should act like we are respectful of these teams, even if we don't mean it.

I'm off to the gringo board to see them hype up a bunch of average players and think they are gonna make them a top team. They are funny over there.

Balerion, Werdman89 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    It is important to understand that, in youth competitions, teams do not always strictly follow the paths of their country's history. Both Brazil and Argentina have already been eliminated from this year's competition, yet I am sure that many posters could not be convinced that beating either one of those under 20 sides wouldn't mean we should expect to win the under 20 World Cup. Cuba, at the under 20 level this year, is a lot better than their Country's history suggests - as is Canada. Does that mean the US can't beat them? No, just that you need to stop judging sides based on their Country's history.

9. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What.

10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Because Canadian male youth teams haven't done well in official concacaf tournaments lately?

It's a different game as opposed to 5 years ago when the majority of our youth players weren't with pro clubs training in high level environments on a daily basis.

11. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about a lineup, I'd go
    Miller... Stanko... Oneil... Ocegueda

In the back. This assumes that Miller is healthy, which I hope he is because I thought he was better than BO in his run out. The CB pairing hasn't been ideal thus far but I don't see the coaches changing it in the knockout game.

In the midfield

Joya...Trapp...Gil

I didn't really like Joya here, thought he was much better as a winger. But with Mikey Lopez out I'm not sure who else will fill in. Maybe they'll surprise us and push up Stanko or Oneil to MF.

The front 3

Villareal...Rodriguez...Cuevas

I feel good about Cuevas and Villareal, but Rodriguez hasn't done anything to make me want to see any more of him. I'd like to see someone else tried up top but the coaches looked content with Rodriguez n the first two matches.

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Burkina Faso! Might as well since you guys have a thing for countries not names USA.o_O

13. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If everyone was all "ra ra USA" this board wouldn't be fun. People try to remain objective because it allows us to discuss our strengths and weaknesses in comparison to other countries without coming to the "well we're better than them because our senior team is better" conclusion very time.

And for the record, I'm confident we can beat Canada. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna belittle what they've accomplished leading up to this game.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Blind faith, ignoring reality, over hype and unrealistic expectations and understanding of where one stands aren't very good traits either.

These characteristics are actually more detrimental to understanding and growth than pragmatic, honest criticism....but in modern day America it's all about not hurting someone's feelings.

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I used to be confident.

The last few cycles have put a dent in it.

Coin toss IMO.

sakibomb523 repped this.
  16. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    and that is what it really boils down to.. we should expect to win..actually we should expect to play Mexico in an epic battle further down the road. having some nervous energy going into the make or break game is OK, but setting our expectations to achieve even more is also acceptable too

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Yup, these are what my expectations used to be.

Not anymore.

Time for some US team somewhere to start changing my mind. Please oh please oh please.

18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's fine to be pessimistic with the youth national teams.

U17s destroyed by Germany in knockout round of the 2011 U17 World Cup
    U20s failed to qualify last time.
    In the 2009 U20 WC USA failed to make it out of their group
    U23s choked last year.

A lot of mental lapses and just not being good enough. Story of the US youth national teams the last few years.

19. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Right now we are in tough situation in that we are developing some really good players, but with them spread out all over the damn place and not training or playing in similar systems on a daily basis we will continue to struggle imo. I think this more than anything will keep us from getting results in junior ranks on a consistent basis. It's the one big edge England, Mexico , Spain Germany and just about everyone else has over us and it will probably stay this way for a long time

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I agree that this is an issue, but it's just part of it IMO.

Even as we get more skilled players, I think we still tend to over rate what they can do, and our teams look more bland than ever.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Canada lost to Cuba in this tournament. On that basis I would suggest that they are not be be feared.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking past teams has gotten us real far in these youth tournaments

soccersubjectively repped this.
  23. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    It is all about pushing players mentally - to read the game better and faster, yet when we do try to teach players how to read the game better and faster, we don't have coaches who know how to teach the game or who are motivated to get dramatically better at teaching the game. The problem has been in place for a long, long time, but it is not until recently that it has started to manifest itself with international results. In short, our competition is improving at a faster rate than we are. We are getting better, but worse by comparison and it all stems from a lack of commitment at every level to push players mentally. All of this "Dude's a beast!" and "Dude's got wheels!" has got to give way to talking about what a player is actually doing and not doing during the game. A player's size, strength, speed, quickness or even skill is only as valuable as his ability to use them to solve problems on the field. It is the teaching problem solving piece that we suck at and that is tough because problem solving is the essence of the game. We picked the wrong aspect of soccer to suck at teaching.

TimB4Last repped this.
  24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    This is a message board. Whether or not the posters here look past teams has nothing to do with the US team's results.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes for great post game moaning