Canada Ripe for major league expansion and MLS.

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by TFCMANU, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Quite the knitting group we have here. Who would have thought that anything concerning Canada could produce such vitriol. On a personal note, I once played a game in Vancouver in November. Half the pitch was under an inch of water. The other half was ice. Ah, to be young again.

2. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I honestly thought it was a better hotbed for soccer. But to be honest, Montreal's luck with attendance has shown that Canada is not that much better of a market than the US.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what the is attendance like in Montreal that led you to that conclusion?

4. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    But... that's a little misleading (see bold)... SLC captures the "Wasatch Front" which is roughly 45 min North and South of SLC - about 2.1 million people today (75% of Utah's 2.8 million population). With birth rates and net immigration to the state projected to DOUBLE that population between 2025-2035. Official estimates are 4.1 million in 2030.

So, while a *market* on any list may appear similar in a list like that, I think you have to look deeper for the pros/cons of the marketplace. If RSL only had 1.1 million people to draw from YET manage to draw consistently in the 16-18K fan range THEN it would be more even more impressive - but the reality is that they are have a pool to draw from that is closer to 2.1 million.

Just saying be careful how you look at the population rankings because they don't often tell all of the story. When you consider the population SLC draws on it's almost identical to Vancouver with less competition for sports entertainment.

5. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Lots of empty midweek games. I think we all agree that they had some sparse attendances mid-season (looked a lot more like legacy teams than Portland).

The Galaxy game was a bit of an outlier. And their STHs have been quite low comparatively.

Also, Vancouver which has a great stadium (with a great location) has not been selling out at a very small capacity.

Until both of these teams start outselling their CFL competitors, it's hard to justify that Canada is a much better soccer market (despite intuitive beliefs).

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are aware that they'll continue to have Big O games every season? Say what you will about the initial games in Saputo Stadium, but Montreal has done quite well since then.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Als = 21,866 at the moment, in a league that averages 27,113.
    Impact = 23,107 at the moment, in a league that averages 18,529ish. (At Saputo: 16,412, at Olympic 36,498)

SYoshonis, HailtotheKing and Yoshou repped this.
  10. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unless, they get their STH number up, they won't be able to bank on 120K people showing up for two matches on an ongoing basis.

Keep in mind the Red Bulls drew 60K for a Beckham game in 2007, doesn't mean they're blazing the attendance trail.

I hope you guys understand that I am not saying Montreal is doing bad, just that they really are not necessarily the next Seatlle. Ditto for Vancouver. And honestly I thought they would have both been drawing 25k and not have as many undersold games as they did.

11. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pull the Chicago game and the LA game out (they're not gonna have either a Beckham game or a first ever franchise home game next year) and replace them with 20K. I get an estimated attendance for the year of a bit above 18.5K (391K-75K)/17 or around the league average.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time was, that would be considered impressive.

That time was like 2010.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Vancouver can draw 25k, can they?

14. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    they can draw 25K in the lower bowl i believe. They tarp off to 21K. With the upper bowl (which they could always choose to open) it's much more (like 45K or something)

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I wasn't sure what BC Place's actual new capacity was.

16. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I for one hate Canada. GET YOUR OWN LEAGUES !!! How is it that Canada has a couple teams in major US Sports than rich states like CT or basically half the country don't get 1 !!! How are we growing the National talent when the South isn't getting any love.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may have been the quickest, most direct path to my ignore list that I've ever seen.

AndyMead and SYoshonis repped this.
  19. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CT does have a pro team, UConn womens basketball. And if I remember, Hartford had a hockey team that you guys couldnt hold on to.

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If CT can get the amount of people to tune into a college bball game then they can have a pro soccer/NBA team. Same with some of those crazy college team states. I just understand why we allow canada into our leagues. Hell why not have Tijuana join the MLS when they get demoted from the Mexican league?

21. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so what your saying is, even though Toronto and Vancouver are better markets, they should not get the opportunity because they are in Canada? and small time markets like CT should get a team just because it's within America?

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That particular jingoistic sentiment has been expressed on more than one occasion. It's doubly hilarious, though, when it comes from a hyphenated-American.

23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We are hyphenated-Americans because some assholes think because we are brown we can't just be Americans. We have to be African Americans, Asian Americans or Hispanic Americans.

It's an American league how can you explain to me why American states don't have teams but a foreign country does. W/e I lost interest in this thread.

24. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you lost interest because your argument is beyond ignorant and you can no longer support it

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Show me the ownership group, dedicated resources, etc etc that are currently being shut out.

GO ...

I know right ? I have to freaking put WHITE/NON-HISPANIC on everything. Stupid ass labels.