Canada Ripe for major league expansion and MLS.

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by TFCMANU, Aug 24, 2012.

1. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Hmmm, lemme think, no.
    See these?
    :p :D :rolleyes:
    They're called smileys, n00b. They're in your control panel for when you're typing a post. Next time, use them if you're attempting to be funny.

3. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <The following post is smiley'd for the humor impaired.>

What, no pro/rel? It's like you're not even trying.
    :):p:D:laugh::ROFLMAO: ;)

4. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, NOW you jump in. :D

5. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    Ugh you grabbed the wrong data here. That's continuous Urban Area not Metro.. for instance Kanata ontario is listed at 30 there with 100,000+ people. Kanata is actually a part of the City of Ottawa, and 5minutes from my house. But since it's seperated from the rest of Ottawa by the green belt (essentially 2 mile wide ring of protected forest and farmland around Ottawa core) it's not included. The Ottawa Senators are based in Kanata.

Anyways that's not Metros. Here is the CMA list://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_metropolitan_areas_and_agglomerations_in_Canada

1 Toronto (Mississauga) Ontario CMA 5,583,064
    2 Montreal (Laval) Quebec CMA 3,824,221
    3 Vancouver (Surrey) British Columbia CMA 2,313,328
    4 Ottawa - Gatineau Ontario/Quebec CMA 1,236,324
    5 CalgaryAlberta CMA 1,214,839
    6 Edmonton Alberta CMA 1,159,869

On top of that for instance the Ottawa's Metro (Nation Capital Region(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Capital_Region_(Canada)) has a pop of 1,451,415 with a smaller area then the CMA, just bordered differently. We base our CMAs on if over 50% of the people that live there work in Downtown/Main urban center, even if it's only 15minutes out of town and if they don't then it doesn't get included in a CMA. Whereas a small town 1 and half hours away with a population of 30 people would be included if half the households commuted downtown.

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you missed his sarcasm.

7. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    took my opinion way to serious, I'm just intrigued, someone could make a case it might work, compared to canadian cities with smaller markets.

8. atcdelay

atcdelay Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So, you don't like to read attached quotes of a post? Let me put this in plain terms for you - I had already acknowledged the pointlessness of this thread by quoting "this is silly" and issued an equally silly response (outdoor winter soccer in Canada? Yeah right). You resort to name calling as a cover-up for mental weakness in not understanding the point to my post. If no quote was issued in my original post then the meaning of it would have been ambiguous.

9. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to think that you can rule out the possibility that someone could be stupid enough to do just what you did, and be totally serious. Several people who are regular posters on BigSoccer ARE actually that stupid, and, not to put too fine a point on it, there was really no reason to just assume that you couldn't be one of them.

We get it now, you aren't, fine. Now get off your high horse about it.

RedRover repped this.
  10. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on relative populations, Canada is actually over-represented in MLS. Maybe there will be a Toronto2 or Ottawa down the road, but that's about it for Canada. Unless soccer becomes much more popular in Canada (like, on the level of hockey)

11. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Just because you fail at humor, don't take it out on those that point it out to you. Given that your status here lists you as New Member, it would help you a lot to watch and learn from those that are much better at it than you. Now, take SYoshonis' advice and climb down off your high horse, slowly so that you don't hurt yourself.

12. atcdelay

atcdelay Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did I miss the aptitude test required before I was allowed to post? Is there so some sort of apprenticeship program I can join as a 'new member' to fit in with the wise sages of this forum? I didn't know my facetious "Soccer Night in Canada" proposal would generate such animosity from all the caffeinated, chain-smoking, basement dwellers on this forum whose standards of humor are so high than the thought of a frost-bitten goalkeeper being sliced by the ice crashing off the crossbar by a frozen ball is something which MUST be taken with utmost sobriety!

13. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posts like this make thinking that you were serious a lot more defensible. I suggest that you just shut up now, take your self-righteous whining with you and recognize that you still haven't given anyone a single reason to believe that you are smart enough not to have been joking.

RedRover repped this.
  14. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Well, since you asked, here's all you need to do:

1. Have a sense of humor that doesn't dip down towards semi-consciousness, or worse.
    2. Do get the frack over yourself in a massive way.

Follow this, and you'll get along nicely. Failure to do so, and SYoshonis' latest advice should be strongly recommended.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, but there is such a thing as manners. Do you walk up to strangers and start telling them your opinions without introducing yourself and learning the social norms?

BigSoccer is a community.

The MLS N&A forum is a unique subset of that community with its own norms and expectations.

Acting the martyr is a pretty quick way of pissing everybody else off.

MLS N&A is the big kids table. Leave your loyalties at the door. Don't provoke or be provoked (until you've earned your stripes and your ability to engage in friendly banter is accepted).

The ability to issue a mea culpa is a huge part of being accepted around here. If you throw out an assertion, expect that it will be fact checked in this forum. People are kept on their toes around here.

If you get something wrong, don't sweat it. And don't get defensive.

You know who gets defensive? Douchebags. Don't be a douchebag.

When in doubt, if you're being snarky or sarcastic, use a smilie. They're awful, they suck, but they serve a purpose.

16. atcdelay

atcdelay Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The noise on whether I was joking or not in my original post could be attributed to regional differences. I live in Virginia, and the whole idea of playing soccer in the winter is so unnecessary (because of the length of the favorable weather season) that saracasm is easily understood. But it is not so in the northern part of the continent. It certainly is not feasible to play soccer in the winter there but it is not entirely implausible either (because of the length of the cold season) so that a joshing comment about a winter season could be easily misinterpreted.

17. atcdelay

atcdelay Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It is all well and good to talk about manners and I appreciate the suggestions but you must know that I was flamed first. Look at post #19. Unless you want to keep this community insular with a select group of members (in that case this should be a closed forum-invitation only), then new members should be treated with forbearance until they "learn the ropes".

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "But they started it!" is an excuse, not a reason.

19. atcdelay

atcdelay Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Flaming, then, designed to provoke or ostracize the original poster because the responder deemed the original post to be of questionable content, is part of this group's norms and expectations? There are clearly more rational ways of spending my time. Good luck with expanding your group.

20. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck in recognizing when to accept some responsibility. Come back when you grow up.

RedRover repped this.
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is Ottawa getting that lower division team? 1.45 million is not bad, it will be interesting to see how successful it is... I could see them moving up to MLS one day, maybe by the mid-20s (both year and # of teams).

Also, I can't see there ever being first division teams in both Calgary and Alberta... how far apart are they from each other?

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not very. ;)

23. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just about the same as the distance between Columbus and Ohio. :)

Guessing you meant Edmonton, which is about 300 miles from Calgary. They have a pretty nice hatred for each other, so it could be a potentially bitter rivalry if it ever came to pass.

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

I thought that if I didn't know anything about a subject I shouldn't post about it & just read about it. For instance I'm pretty sure I've not posted in the El Salvador threads. That's probably 20th century thinking though that shows a lack of confidence.

Get off my lawn.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Blogger, Mr. Bandwagon, CShine and 3 others repped this.