can it ever be a reality in england?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by whatareyoulookingat, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically, the only organized policing involves having the visiting fans who came as a group enter and leave the stadium together with a handful of security guards. There are many fans of the visiting team who buy their tickets individually and sit with the regular home fans, which is extremely common in American sports in general

NASI GORENG, Kejsare and JasonMa repped this.
  2. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
    Thanks for the replies.

Another question, we seem in England over the past few months been inundated with stories about racism, racism from players, referees, fans etc... Today for example 2 west ham fans were arrested and given cautions after they gave nazi salutes, and there are claims of anti semetic chanting towards the spurs fans.

Given America's past problems with racism has it ever crept into the MLS in anyway?

3. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been some, rather minor, incidents. But MLS teams don't have any history of sectarian, religious or ethnic conflict because none of the teams were founded along those lines. It's not like there's a Catholic MLS team with a bitter rivalry with a Protestant team, or whatever. There are some lower division teams that were founded along ethnic lines, but none of those teams have found their way into MLS (and none ever will).

And the idea of American sports fans doing things like making monkey chants at black players is pretty unthinkable (and wouldn't make any sense, given how many athletes in this country are black). If you don't like the idea of black (or other minority) players on the field, you're going to have a tough time finding a team to support in the US, other than in hockey.

Hearing about people getting arrested for racism in Europe always weirds me out, but I understand where Europeans are coming from with these laws, given your relatively recent history.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never. The only incident I can remember was a single Crew fan who got caught on camera yelling something racist a couple of years ago, and he was pretty quickly disavowed by Crew fans and the whole league fanbase.

Not to take a complex subject and distill it too much, because there's a long conversation to be had, but I think the history of racism in the U.S. has actually helped MLS because the country has been dealing with the subject for many years and has established some strong cultural standards of what is and is not acceptable. While you still have many many debates around race there's a pretty bright line that people don't cross when it comes to racial epithets and racist actions in public. Even the most racist of people wouldn't think of shouting racial slurs at players during a game here, because they know that simply isn't acceptable.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  5. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe it has in MLS. But again, it hasn't even existed for a full generation yet so take that into consideration. Racism has crept into American sports before:

- Black baseball players could be found when that sport started up; then in the 1890s (IIRC) a "gentlemen's clause" was agreed to by club owners to never sign black players. The clause existed until the Brooklyn Dodgers brought Jackie Robinson up to the major leagues in 1947. From '45 to about '49 or so Robinson's life was a living hell thanks to some opposing players and fans; ESPECIALLY during spring training which usually takes place in the South (old Confederacy). He was told by the team owner to basically take whatever racist was thrown his way and not respond. There's a reason his jersey is retired by all the teams in Major League Baseball.

A generation later, Henry (Hank) Aaron received death threats as he got closer to breaking Babe Ruth's all-time homerun record. He eventually did break the record, and in Atlanta no less. Around 2:42 or so is the commentary about the moment from one of baseball's greatest voices, Vin Scully:

!

- In basketball, legend has it that Bill Russell did not like Boston. He played for the Celtics during the early years of the NBA and from what I've heard, Boston was quite a racist town at the time. I think it continued into the 80s; during the heyday of the Lakers-Celtics rivalry, across the country it was viewed as Hollywood (Lakers) vs. Hard Worker (Celtics) and to a lesser extent, Black (Lakers) vs. White (Boston).

I'm just pointing out a couple other moments in the last two generations or so of American sport where racism crept in.

fuzzx repped this.
  6. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cont.

Back to baseball for a moment, here was some commentary by a former Dodgers GM in the '80s about why there weren't any black managers or GMs

7. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Ham's got an Israeli midfielder. Idiots who chant racist shit aren't known for their contextual awareness.

I think every MLS team, and really probably every pro sports team, has had occasional fan incidents when some drunk dumb shit racist decides to yell something. Even at an RSL game I once heard some dumb bitch yelling the N-word at an opposing keeper; like Jasonma said though, there are pretty clear boundaries on race due to history, and it was made quite clear to her (as I'm sure it was to the Crew fan he mentions, and to fans of other teams who have done similar stupid shit) that both the language and she were not welcome. It's not organized like it has been in Europe though, and I don't think it ever will be.

8. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
  9. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, though...I've always thought MLS should use American fan culture as a selling point to potential players.

I'm thinking specifically about black players who are regular targets of racial abuse playing in Italy or Russia or (to a lesser extent) England. With something like the recent Sordell situation...how much would it be worth to a player like that to play in a much less toxic environment?

On the other hand...let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard. Yes, monkey chants in the stands would be unthinkable here...but I've been to a USMNT game against a Latin American country and heard "Mow My Lawn" chants from the USA supporters. And I've heard "Go back to Mexico" shouted at a Latino (but not Mexican) player in MLS at least once.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  10. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFC Wimbledon sowing the seeds of possible hooliganism. Never would have guessed.
    Okay, maybe.

Glad I no longer support that team.

11. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I missed it, did anyone mention the distance between the majority of our clubs keeps a lot of the problems in check. Yes, I know we have a few close city pairs, but back in the beginning when DC and LA were a big rival, we would be 3 thousand miles apart. For fans to travel and spend the $ to do that, probably means you want to go to the game and actually see the game, rather than get drunk , get in a fight, get arrested. I know I do, I have been to 12-13 different MLS cities and large groups of away fans are rare. To see how many fans HOU brought to the MLS Cup in LA was rather quite special. Truthfully, I would think we would have more trouble at USMNT games during WCQ due to the passion that is world soccer.

12. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, in UK terms, we only have one close city pair, the Galaxy and Chivas. The next closest are approximately:

PHL-NYR 80 miles
    VAN-SEA 120 miles
    PHL-DCU 125 miles
    POR-SEA 145 miles

Just for reference: London and Reading are about 40 miles apart; London to Norwich is about 100 miles; Manchester to Newcastle about 100 miles; Manchester to Birmingham about the same.

The longest trip in the Premier League this season is Newcastle to Southampton, about 280 miles.
    I don't think any MLS team has more than one or two trips under that 280-mile distance, and some teams don't have any trips that short. The shortest trip Kansas City has is the 400-odd miles to Chicago.

Add in the sorry state of American rail transportation even for the few close cities and you're looking at a very different environment for the traveling fan.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    539 miles from Commerce City to Sandy for example.

14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And even better for those players, they are completely anonymous, since the general population pays zero attention to soccer! (Beckham excluded)

(Excluding BigSoccer, of course).

15. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
    There has been a rise in pyro at games in england and the authorities seem to be clamping down on it handing out more jail sentences, I assume because it could lead to panic and distress, which I can understand but jail sentences...really? Thats why controlled use like you have in the MLS seems the common sense solution but we dont have common sense when it comes to football fans because fans are still considered criminals from the moment they arrive inside a stadium.

I'm sure its the poor hsitory we have of violence and disasters that lead to such harsh sentences but it just seems crazy to me.

16. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few Timbers fans in Salt Lake lit off flares inside Rio Tinto and were arrested. No conviction but they were confined briefly for breaking a local law. Oh, and MLSsoccer.com thought using a stock photo of that incident in a promo of an MLS game last season was fine until it was criticized as a double standard (MLS also levied certain punishments on the people too).

Unak78 repped this.
  17. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are other dangers with lighting fires in packed buildings than "panic and distress." Ask a Bradford City fan.

[​IMG]

Unak78 and Jasonma repped this.
  18. James Gaskill

James Gaskill Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd be interested to know if there has been inter-supporter issues in England like we have here in Houston.

19. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
    Interesting season so far it seems despite the over the top punishments about the use of pyro it has seen quite an upsurge in use, more surprisnigly its happend in the top flight. Liverpool, newcastle have used them pretty regually....other lower division teams too. There have been protests over ticket prices:-
    [​IMG]
    And the police control of how fans should travel to games
    [​IMG]
    All encouraging, unfortunately the odd incident like the burnley fans destroying toilets at their game at blackburn and newcastle fans disrupting an amateur game before their match against wigan will just give the police more evidence to say they are needed and they'll continue to flex their muscles.

BBBulldog repped this.
  20. Oister

Oister Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Mile High
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    From what I have noticed in the USA is that the time in your life to support a team (soccer or any sport) is in your college years. It's not only expected but encoureged. Most riots happen with Universities but news networks seem to focus on professional sports team riots. I think it's an age issue. Nineteen to mid twenty year old's need somewhere to let loose while getting educated before they begin the rest of their lives. In High School your taught the value of teamwork and home advantage, In college you realize that you and a thousand fanatics can be the difference, In professional sporting events your there for entertainment. MLS is starting to blur the line BIG TIME. College sports are honor and tradition whereas pro sports are commercial and money. Despite the young age of MLS it has the passion and tradition that no other professional league has in the US.

21. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
    Some good points. We have a history thats the problem so if arrests are low the police can justify all their overtime saying its working, safetry advisors can contiually come up with restrictive measures for fans. But the bottom line is the vast majority of english fans are well behaved and should be treated as such.

Unfortunately again this weekend theres been incidents that will just stop any lifting of rules and regulations.

Newcastle fans rioting after todays game is just another set back.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-riots-Footballs-weekend-shame-continues.html

22. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
    Problems at chesterfield:-

Also at a few other clubs this weekend, I suppose when things get tense towards the end of the season it increases the chances of these types of incidents, but it just sets us back years.

23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have Newcastle hinchas ever watched the movie Blazing Saddles? Cuz this freeze frame of one Toon Army dude punching the cop horse in the grill is hilarious!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In any of the 2; did the horse turn around and kick the guy right on the face and broke his jaw so the dude has to eat liquids for the rest of his life? Because that would be hilarious!!!

(TxT) and CeltTexan repped this.