can it ever be a reality in england?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by whatareyoulookingat, Aug 7, 2012.

1. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why do you say I have no clue about ticket pricing, or the fights at games? I understand those things just fine.
    your post up there makes no sense, not because you think I'm ignorant but because the difference in game atmosphere in the states compared to Euro has nothing to do with soccer mom's, or the fact that you think thugs like the nba better.

2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Indeed. Given the close proximity of teams in Europe, football became a very convenient vehicle for people looking for "trouble" to latch onto and (often violent) rivalries formed. Large numbers of visiting fans go to games on a week in, week out basis. In the US, visiting fans are a rarity. Even when teams are in close proximity, the structure of US leagues mean they play relatively rarely. Thus, although it's true that visiting fans get treated much better in the US, it's kind of a moot point because there simply wasn't and isn't the vehicle in the US for sports to be a place for regular fan conflict.

Someone earlier mentioned that England had merely put a "band aid" on fan violence. You've got to be kidding. As someone who regular went to games there in the '70's and '80's, there is absolutely no comparison between then and now.

3. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about college football? Red River rivalry game between Texas and O.U is huge and split in the stadium 50/50, what about "the worlds largest cocktail party" played every year, (as well as this weekend) between Florida and Georgia, that crowd is split 50/50. These are only a couple examples of intense rivalries that stay for the most part, civil.

4. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crowds at college football games tend to come from a relatively low-violence demographic. That is, people who are attending or have attended college. It's not surprising that those events are pretty peaceful, given the attendees.

5. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is your quote earlier in the conversation,
    "That being said, there has never really been an organized movement of violent supporters in the US. It's just individuals (usually drunk) engaging in isolated acts of violence. "

you implied in that quote that U.S patrons might just be more civil

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Additionally, how many away games a year is your average college football fan attending? Probably not the 20 to 30 readily accessible games your typical European fan has at their disposal.

Having said that, the worst sports-related violence I've witnessed in the US was in New Orleans the night before a Tulane football game. I forget what college they were playing.

7. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    There are a lot of college graduates/attendees at college football games -- probably a higher proportion than the national average (around 30%) -- but no way it pushes anywhere near saturation. I'm finding that it's only around 35%.

8. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never implied that American sports fans are somehow better people than their Euro counterparts, as a group. It's just that various factors have made it difficult for the worst among them to act on their worst impulses in an organized manner.

9. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading the account on how much this idiot had to drink, it's a wonder he wasn't in a coma before he got to the stadium!

I've seen reports on Real Sports and Outside the Lines about NFL fan behavior at some games. Many fans seem to be getting turned off by bad fans at some venues, and alcohol is usually the root cause for the bad behavior. Pretty sad really.

10. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How long ago was this? Tulane football's been so bad the past 15 years--they hardly draw flies. I can't believe their fan base would be as rabid and abusive as someone from a larger school or more prestigious conference. I read one account where a football fan said the best part of the Red River rivalry was hanging around the parking lot afterwards to watch Oklahoma and Texas fans engage in fisticuffs!

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I actually find the way support is changing in England pretty depressing. On one hand you have the unmistakeable gentrification, with younger fans forced out of the game through price, to be replaced by more placid older spectators. Couple that with all-seater grounds, and there doesn't seem to be the same buzz that there used to be.

Perhaps more depressing though is that nature of support even when the fans do sing. There's always been a blend of supporting your team and having a bit of a dig at the other lot, but now it seems to mainly about having a go at the other fans rather than getting behind your team.

It is weird. In many ways the game here is on something of a high, but with genuine match-going fans, there seems to be a huge amount of dissatisfaction about how things are going.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Early '90's.

13. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dosnt matter that much, but I still dont think that some sort of brawl or fight somewhere not at the stadium, the night before a game, is a good example.

14. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
    There does seem to be a massive difference in what clubs want in England compared to the USA (and pretty much every other country).

the fact is soccer is so popular in England fans can be treated like criminals, tickets can sky rocket yet fans still turn up...theres not many countries (if any) where that would happen.

I agree with the type of things sung - in the US it seems to be in support of their team where in england its always about opposing fans - the idea of supporting your team no matter what is happening on the pitch is alien to british fans - you only have to hear the discontent amongst fans after just a few games - calling for the managers head, booing the players - its all so negative - maybe thats becauser the fans have to pay so much and get treated like crap that its difficult not to show displeasure - in some ways I understand that.

Even at chelsea where the ticket prices are so high you still get problems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-to-Manchester-United-at-Stamford-Bridge.html

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the discontent partly is a product of the football media these days. The papers are always looking for a story rather than actually reporting on the matches, and the natural result of that is that papers question whether a manager will be sacked after any bad run. Many even seemed to be speculating that Brendan Rogers would be sacked at Liverpool after the first match of the season.

The internet, along with radio phone-in shows, have also made an easy soap-box for those wishing to moan, and the more reactionary and unbalanced an individual is, the more likely they'll register their protest.

They money going into the game, especially from rich owners, has also skewed the perception of how clubs should be run. Owners, apparently, should be pumping millions into the team, and any club that isn't pushing for promotion/europe/the title, regardless of the ability to do so, is "lacking ambition".

You also have the impact of books and films hugely glamourising hooligansism of the past, with many growing up thinking it "cool". You also have the "no colours" attitude of the fans of top clubs, sick of being labelled glory-hunters, who refuse to wear shirts/colours because they don't want to be associated with camera-wielding day-trippers at their ground. I can understand that at the top clubs, but it's a bit ridiculous when you get fans of Walsall making the same stance, as if The Bescot is beseiged by tourists from Japan and coaches from Surrey every other Saturday.

16. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this quote made me chuckle, your comparisons to US support are horrible, ticket prices here have skyrocketed and priced people out, especially in the nba. and you must not listen to sports talk radio here, or even read the sports section much, the majority of it is negative, plenty of people here offer the same exact criticism you talk about toward owners who do not consistently win our pump more money into the club, our are ready to jump off bridges on monday if there nfl team didnt win. so, to say that it's diff in England then anywhere else is false.

17. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
    well yesterday was one of the exceptions, some brilliant atmopsheres, poper english atmospheres of old. Bradford taking around 5000 to wigan, a NE derby, villa fans v swindon fans....the league cup may be way down the list of priorities for amangers but it showws it still has some cred with the fans.

if only if it was like this week in week out...oh well its fa cup time soon.

bradford fans at wigan.

[​IMG]

18. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
    even utd fans got in the the act:-

[​IMG]

19. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
  20. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not that intense then are they?

Seriously though, I'm sure there is great intensity and rivalry on the field but in the stands?
    Sorry but you have absolutely no idea what fan rivalry really is if you are seriously comparing that as close to soccer rivalry in the UK back in the days of hooliganism - I would have to take you back to a Liverpool V Man Utd or Man Utd V Leeds game in the 70' or 80's for you to appreciate that fact. I would need you to sign a waver on your safety first though.:cautious:
    Back then it really was like going into enemy territory on away days.

Things are different now, there is nothing like the same intensity in the stands and it is probably more like the events you mention above in the stands (seating now) - your only chance of catching a faint echo of the atmosphere of those days would be to travel with away support to a big rivalry game.

It is difficult to know why there was so much violence back then but it could be a combination of many factors, including a deep recession, big strikes and social unrest, poor policing methods, all standing terraces, the almost exclusively young male demographic, to name a few possible factors. Also it is hard to put a finger on why the soccer rivalries in the UK and other places are/were so much more intense than in US sports. It has been pointed out that the close proximity of the rival cities is a factor and I am sure that is true, more travelling fans and a true city rivalry. Also having clubs from the same city where you would have to suffer the humiliation of jibes in work or the pub or your neighbourhood for weeks or even months - even years after in some cases. Then there is the point about soccer being traditionally supported by lower income inner city folk, mostly made up of young men. Lots of testosterone booze and peer pressure. Then finally there are cultural differences of how the cities grew up and developed - the rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester is economic, cultural and historic. There is some of that in the US not to the same extent or as keenly felt. We even talk very differently, it is like two different countries 30 miles apart.

The question is can you have that sort of rivalry and passion without it sometimes spilling over into violence?
    I would like to think you can get close, the Bundesliga is a fantastic example of how to maintain fan culture and rivalries without it spilling over into riots but although the game-day atmosphere is great and beats most English games it doesn't get that close to the bad old/good old days which I remember with a shameful pride.

Just please don't hold up those examples of college football rivalries as relative comparisons to soccer in the UK in the 70's and 80's. You can compare it with soccer in the UK now if you like but then there isn't any hooliganism in the UK now so it defies the point.

21. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laker fans mini-riot in the 2000s following an NBA championship?

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not exactly "organized".

23. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly unexpected either

24. whatareyoulookingat

Jun 11, 2008
    Durham
    I was wondering what the policing is like in the MLS, how are the rival fans seperated whilst travelling to and from the games, just saw today a policeman hitting a leeds fan with a batton on the head for nothing , or at least that what it looks like from the video...I wasnt there....so can't really comment.

25. publicstranger

Nov 18, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Leeds fans, nasty buggers they are.