Pre-match: Camp Strudel: USA vs Canada; 1-29-13

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Jan 25, 2013.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Can we call them close relatives?

Correct, but you'll have a different problem: Bruin is not Agudelo. Choices, choices ...

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Which hurt Bruin all the way to more goals last season than Agudelo has for his career.

3. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada down 2-0 to Denmark in the first 11 minutes its going to be a long match for them it seems

4. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't really seen a lot of good from Agudelo since his first few starts with the Nats. He didn't show anything with Chivas last season. The man has talent, but every coach knows that only gets you so far. He has to get that consistency before he can be a serious consideration for important matches in my opinion.

5. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Canada is looking really bad. Or this Denmark Squad is really good.
    3-0 Danes.

6. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada looks pretty terrible. I'll be disappointed if we don't beat them at least 2-0.

7. bill0

bill0 Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Still living on the PTSD after that 8-1.

These are a bunch of youngsters, specially in the defense line. But that's no excuse, since it's the same for the Danes. That Honduras defeat demolished all the Reds' mojo.

9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^Like that the guys are watching it, and that Kyle Beckerman even has his own screen. Good, scout the opposition!

Ives Galarcep@SoccerByIves
    I can see the line of USMNT forwards forming outside Jurgen Klinsmann's hotel room in Cali as they all BEG to start vs. Canada on Tuesday.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was injured in March and never was fully healthy this season.

11. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to pretend I follow Chivas closely, because I don't. I still think he needs to show some consistent run of form before being brought into the qualifiers.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think Agudelo was just inefficient in front of goal with Chivas in some games. If he had Bruins sharpness, I think he could of had 3 or 4 more goals.

It's actually the concerning thing with Agudelo. Until he improves his finishing I would rather see him on the wing or playing as a supporting striker.

13. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I only watched Chivas a few times last season, but I agree. He missed a number of good chances. He scores some great, difficult goals, but he also misses ones he should put away. Inconsistent finishing is not unexpected at his age though.

14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OWN(yewu)ED, Berks, deuteronomy and 2 others repped this.
  15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting him on the wing would just be a waste of space for everybody involved.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's played there before at the club level and with the national team with good results. Anyway, against this weak Canadian team I think we'll play a 442, so he might be up top with Burin. EJ/Davis and Zusi/Gatt will be the outside midfielders.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember when he played there for the national team but he did not have good results for Chivas. He tried hard, but he was completely lost and didn't affect the game well. The few games he started at center forward he consistently put himself in good positions to score. Agudelo would be better off coming off the bench than taking a wing spot from guys like Davis, Gatt or Johnson.

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a big deal but I'm actually a little upset to see us facing Canada in this match. It's been almost 28 years since we've lost to our neighbors to the north and honestly I'd be a little upset to see that end with our Camp Cupcake guys out there, in the same way that I'm sure some Mexican fans are a little pissed to see us end our Azteca drought in a friendly with a half empty stadium and their team not playing a full squad. Though the Denmark match did give me quite a bit confidence going into this one

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The flip side is that while this is our domestic based lineup, it's also going to be Canada's domestic lineup. They have a lot of young players and guys gathered up from the depths of Canadian soccer around the world. They have six players with more than 10 caps on their team.

You have to ask yourself. Would you rather have the US MLS and Scandinavian players or Canadian ones?

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We only have 5

23. xsosx

xsosx Member

May 27, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 3 players on their roster that are currently not attached to a club team.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point. However lets review the rosters.

Lars Hirschfield is playing in Norway.

We have 3 MLS starting keepers.

Push

Defense

Morgan has played relatively regularly for Toronto. Nana Attakora left MLS for Finland. Doneil Henry has played sparingly for Toronto. Jakovic plays regularly for DC. I wouldn't call any of the MLS based players true allstars.

The US has Omar Gonzalez and Matt Besler, two of the best defenders in MLS. Justin Morrow, Beltran and Delagarza are also good MLS players. Lade and Morales are meh.

So you have fringe, young MLS players for Canada. The US has so of the best MLS defenders.

In midfield the US has Zusi, Beckerman, Feilhaber, Evans and Davis. All are starters and all stars in MLS. Gatt and Diskerud are solid Norwegian league players.

De Rosario is elite, however, after that they have about 65 MLS games of experience for their other midfielders. Most of whom are playing for Toronto, who lets face it, suck. They have Ledgerwood at Hammarby but Davies is a USL player and Beaulieu is unattached.

At forward Canada has a USl player (Porter) an unattached player (James), a Finnish league player (Jonke) and Ricketts who used to play in Romania and had 6 goals in 24 games.

The US had Wondolowski, Bruin, Johnson and Agudelo. Wondo was MLS golden boot winner and Bruin and Johnson had 30 goals combined last year.

Mr Martin repped this.