Cameron: Stoke @ Chelsea (4/5/14)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by ImaPuppy, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this, but "pedestrian at best" puts him in a starting role for the US at the WC. We looks shakey in the back on the US team.

2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He's had two loose passes, both of which were posted about here. Not many look more than pedestrian against Chelsea at the Bridge, to be fair.

He hasn't been too involved otherwise since his relatively bright start in the first few minutes.

I assume the "marking space" part was in regards to the goal, where Odemwingie never should have been beaten from a throw-in. No way that's on him.

dwsmith1972 and Dervos repped this.
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fantastic offsides call by that linesman, he was dead on.

4. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ivanovich.... 2-0. Nope he was off

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Half-time: Geoff has been neither good nor bad. He had a bright start completing his passes but since then has looked only slightly more sure than the rest of Stoke's players. He was also beaten a couple times but mostly recovered well to negate those chances. He had 2 weak passes including one that could have led to a nice breakout. Overall he's been about a 5 or 6 as the goal wasn't his fault, but he hasn't added much of anything, nor been the cause of many ills.

This was always going to be a tough day for Stoke though.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  6. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for detailed pbp, imapuppy...appreciate it

ImaPuppy repped this.
  7. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Geoff off at 45'.

8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Geoff surprisingly off at half. Didn't think he was at fault for much, wonder if it was tactical or due to injury.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    They seem to be playing 5 or 6 back. It is confusing back there for him. He had some excellent challenges where one of Chelsea's bright boys thought he could dance through him and gCam stuck a leg out...

but then it is hoof it up the pitch.

Stoke always play Chelsea tough, but with the goal, they might as well go to 4-4-2 and let the dogs run.

10. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I know his agent tweeted Sciaretta a bit ago that his ankle had been bothering him for some time..but he looked fine that half and like you said probably their best defender so I've got to think tactical or slight knock.

11. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    No mention of injury. We'll see. He just wasn't doing much positive. Looked a bit off. He lost a header to Willian at 38' that just looked flat lazy.

12. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He had about 5 or 6 interceptions and his 1 v 1 defending was very good. He didn't look like Phillip Lahm out there but I'd say he was 'solid.' Announcers didn't mention anything of him losing out on a header to Willian.

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It must be injury. Everything coming off the right side was the RM/Wingback fault. Geoff was lost out there in there 5 man defense.

14. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    No injury I dont think. Not good enough today. Form has dropped off significantly since the heady days of the autumn/winter.

Wilkinson is shit, so I'd rather play Geoff, but hes been poor the last few games. Hull did him a couple of times, lucky not to concede

wixson7 repped this.
  15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jesus that was a poor tackle, unquestionable PK

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Mayyyybe not the best substitution. 60' and Wilkinson hacks down Hazard for a penalty.

Goal for Lampard after his initial penalty is saved by Begovic.

Indeed..

17. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Which matches showed a considerable drop in form?

Meanwhile, Wilkinson, Cameron's replacement just got called for a penalty..Chelsea goes up 2-0

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was a great stop by Begovic, hes a fantastic keeper. That wasnt a poor PK by lampard by any means

19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    It was an alright penalty, hit with a ton of power but on the replay it was right in the sweet spot for Begovic. About 2 feet off the ground and close but not too close to him. Got down well, though.

20. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I hate Wilkinson. If he wasnt from Stoke, he'd be playing League One football

Geoff has been solid since Jan/Feb, but before that he was our best player.I'd say he was only noticeably poor against Hull and Palace off the top of my head. Theres just been a few moments where his defending hasnt been as good this last few months. He's getting caught out of position and losing his man. Hull should have scored twice last week thanks to not picking up his man.

Maybe its fatigue, he must have played every game

21. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most of the attacks in that first half came down pieter's side and he was woeful. i have no idea why he stayed on and cam got subbed off. he was at fault for the first goal and whoever replaced cam conceded the penalty for the second. bad sub by hughes and while cam wasn't scorching his side, he was defending at an acceptable level and providing an outlet for his teammates.

ckl26 repped this.
  22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    3-0 Chelsea in the 73'

Willian this time, Stoke just drops off and doesn't even attempt to close him down. Shawcross calls Wilkinson off to track another runner and then fails to step up to the task. Very nicely taken goal by Willian to be fair. Snuck it right into the far post with a curler from about 18 out.

23. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Dreadful defensive performance from the whole team today. Adam has been disgusting since he came on

24. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe Geoff has gone from solid and relaible to a bit shaky at times as the season has gone on. He has not been poor, just not really good like he was first half of the season.

Wilko being shit does not change that IMO.

I think his best spot is in in midfield, he is neither a RB or a CB. He is a better Right Back than Center Back but he had a lot of help early in the year with Jon Walters in front of him. I can't stand Jon, but he will defend and is not bad at it. He covers for Geoff's positional weakensses at RB. At CB he has the OMAR ball watching habit that makes me want to choke him.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well that half was a lecture on how valuable Geoff is to them. He wasnt without fault, but Chelsea abused and targeted the right side as soon as he left

ckl26 repped this.