News: California Golden Bears

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by falvo, Sep 15, 2009.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its probably like every NFL prospect majoring in Communications.......whatever that is....

2. *Oracle*

*Oracle* Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Lancaster
    I was under the notion that Futbol players were a lot brighter than American football players. ;)

You answered my question, albeit indirectly.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL.....seriously, I have no idea. I do know however that the classes are pretty tough. I mean they have tutors and advisors and all this stuff but the exams are far from easy and term papers still have to be concise, accurate and handed in on time. I really don't believe a school UC Berkeley like has any "easy majors".

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great game for the Bears up at Stanford with goals by Michael Munoz, Tony Salciccia (pk) and Michael Shaddock all scoing in the 2nd half. GK Peach out of Mitty HS shut out Vermont despite 26 their shots. Many of the shots seemed to go way over the bar and weren't really on goal but Peach still made 10 saves. Kyle Lunt a natural forward was converted to centerback/stopper/sweeper and seemed to be clearing everything that came down his path. Seemed like a natural at that position.

Cal Blanks Vermont, 3-0, in Stanford Nike Classic

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/092311aaa.html

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok I know Soccer America does not like to show favortism, especially, since their offices are only 3 blocks (Soccer America Magazine 1235 10th St Berkeley, CA 94710) away from Cal's training field, but how in the world can these teams bottom teams be ranked higher than CAL? I mean there is no way anyone can tell me , that either one of those programs are better than Cal's or that they know anything about them. I'm not knocking those schools by any means but how would or could they know about Furman or East Tennessee State and rank them higher than a team (literally) playing in their own backyard?

[​IMG]
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article/43962/soccer-america-mens-top-25.html

18. George Mason (4-2-2) NR
    19. Northern Illinois (7-1-0) 24
    20. Old Dominion (4-1-1) 11
    21. SMU (5-3-0) NR
    22. East Tennessee State (6-1-1) 22
    23. Furman (7-1-2) 23
    24. Coastal Carolina (6-2-0) 25
    25. West Virginia (4-3-1) 16
    25. Portland (5-2-1) NR

6. midfieldmadness

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For the record, I have not had a chance to see Cal play yet this year. But I'm guessing the 4-1 (UConn) and 4-2 at home (Santa Clara) beat downs are why Cal's not on the list. I'm not saying Cal's not any good, I'm just guessing those results with no counterbalancing signature wins have them off the list.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore, what about Furman's 1-2 loss at Wake Forest and 0-1 loss at home vs. Duke? Or for that matter, George Mason's 1-2 loss at Brown and 2-3 loss at Boston College? How could those teams be any better than Cal? I mean they lost twice just like CAL so these rankings make no sense. Again, I am not knocking those schools as I'm sure they play fine ball. Still, there is no way anyone can convince me George Mason or Furman has better programs than Cal. If they do in fact have better programs, there is no way someone in an office in Berkeley 2000 miles away ,can judge their level of play as opposed to a home town team who plays around the corner and who's players they know and watch on a daily or weekley basis. I mean, I just don't believe they would be able to know or judge those guys better than a team playing so close to their own home. I actually spoke to somone at the SA office a few years back and they told me they are trying to get everyone credit and not just the west coast teams and especially not a team playing next door.

8. midfieldmadness

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I have no idea which teams are better than the others. I've seen none of those teams play this year. But, from an outsider perspective, 4-1 and 4-2 sound a lot worse than the scores you cited. All the teams they lost to by one goal are respectable teams. If Cal takes care of business the rest of the season, they'll be back in the rankings. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well maybe you have a valid point and I am overacting but I still don't know how they could know more about those teams without probably ever seeing them play. Here are Soccer Times Top 25 teams. Cal actually received 12 votes & Santa Clara 40.

http://www.soccertimes.com/ncaa/top25/men.htm

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not a great way to begin conference play.....

Cal Drops Pac-12 Opener at UCLA, 1-0, in OT

Peach Makes 4 saves in Second Straight Start in Goal for Bears
    http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/100111aaa.html

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lose to Aztecs 2-1.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Too bad. They certainly aren't going to make the playoffs this way....

Nice to see freshman midfielder Omid Jalali get a goal though.

Cal Suffers 2-1 Setback at San Diego State
    Jalali Scores First Goal for Bears

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/100211aaa.html

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great match in front of 2,919 fans at Stanford last night. Cal's John Fitzpatrick scored on a cross from left side with a header at 26:15. Stanford tied the match at 77:47, when Adam Jahn scored on a killer 25-yard free kick to tie it up. It was a good hard fought game by both teams. Cal seemed to dominate and connect on many passes until Jahn's blast seemed to take the life out of them a bit. As the game wore on into OT, many players started getting cramps stopping play. Saw Quakes defender Bobby Burling there as well as Houston Dynamo assistant coach Tim Hanley.

Cal Holds Stanford to 1-1 Tie

Fitzpatrick Nets 4th Goal for Bears

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Still no wins as they are 0-2-2 in the Pac-12....

Cal Plays Oregon State to 2-2 Draw

Munoz and Marsh score for the Bears

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/101411aaa.html

15. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    Wow. What a horrible start for Cal. I saw them in the exhibition vs CP this year and I thought they were going to be quite strong. I did think they were just a bit better than UCLA. Hope they can finish the season strong. (Of course, I hope UCLA also can finish the season strong as I've got a dd who is a Bruin alum!)

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Losing 6 -7 starters and I think 6 to the MLS is difficult for any team to handle. They are still young with one senior (Ted Jones who is red shirting and who will be playing next year). I think they should come back stronger next year.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nothing to do with Cal soccer but because two of my cousins are on the team, I thought the win against UCSB for Cal Poly with 11,000 fans present was awesome!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMH8okQWA7A"]Cal Poly win against UCSB 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It just doesn't seem to be the Bears year. Maybe they will have better luck next year with one more year of experience under their belts.

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/102311aaa.html

09/30/11 at UCLA * Los Angeles, Calif. L, 1-0 (OT)
    10/02/11 at San Diego State * San Diego, Calif. L, 2-1
    10/09/11 at Stanford * Stanford, Calif. T, 1-1 (2OT)
    10/14/11 vs. Oregon State * Edwards Stadium T, 2-2 (2OT)
    10/16/11 vs. Washington * Edwards Stadium L, 2-1 (2OT)
    10/21/11 at Oregon State * Corvallis, Ore. L, 2-1
    10/23/11 at Washington * Seattle, Wash. L, 1-0

19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    On a more upbeat note, I saw that Jimenez and Bingham recently made their MLS debuts. That makes at least 12 Cal players who appeared in MLS this year.

Bingham, Carr, Carrasco, Cortes, Frei, Jimenez, Kronberg, Omphroy, Paul, Saunders, Soares, Wahl

It's a far cry from the days when Chris Roner was the only one in the league.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Then there is FC Dallas Andrew Wiedeman who was at CAL from 2007–2009 and who left early to sign a Generation Adidas contract. He is still on their roster getting paid pretty well and not counting against the salary cap although I don't know how long he will keep playing. I mean he is still young (age 22) but in two full MLS seasons, he has played a total of two games. I don't think they will end up signing him after his Generation Adidas contract is up. He might end up trying out with the Quakes...

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Yeah, the Quakes are a good place for giving young Americans a chance. Dallas has too many imports.

Now that you mention Dallas, though, I also forgot about Andrew Jacobson who plays a fair number of minutes for them.

22. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    How many of these guys play consistent minutes? I realize alot of them are young... but aside from Frei being a stud GK and Carr being fast, I don't recognize any of these names from the match broadcasts

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That might be more about you than them.

Josh Saunders of the Galaxy's GAA was the lowest in MLS among goalkeepers who started more than half their team's games.

Andrew Jacobson led Dallas with 5 assists.

AJ Soares started 28 games as a rookie in New England.

In Seattle, Tyson Wahl played 23 games, starting all but one, with a goal and 2 assists while Servando Carrasco played 12 games as a rookie, making 7 starts.

24. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    OK, so cutting through the fluff, after looking thru the stats myself:

Frei - legitimate stud GK
    Saunders - 2nd string GK to Ricketts
    Jacobsen - Started over 2/3 FC Dallas games
    Wahl - Started about 1/2 Seattle games
    Soares - Started almost every NE game (not that its something to be proud of after this season...)
    Carrasco - Saw decent time as a rookie (11 starts)

But the rest...
    Paul - cut from Chicago?
    Bingham - 1 game for San Jose
    Carr - 4 starts for Houston
    Jimenez - 2 games for LA
    Omphroy - 1 game for Toronto
    Weideman - cut from Dallas?

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What's your point? More than half of the Cal players in MLS are consistent contributors, many to good teams.

Every college that sends players to MLS - or any other sport - has some players on that list that are reserves.

I'm just not sure what you're getting at. Cal has 12 players in MLS. It's a nice number to be proud of, especially since many of them were on the team the last year or two. And those players run the gamut to starters for playoff teams to guys who play minimally for teams at the bottom of the standings.

Same with UCLA, Akron, Maryland, Virginia, Indiana, North Carolina and the other usual suspects that produce lots of MLS players. Just because some of them don't play a lot doesn't mean their schools and their fans shouldn't be proud of them or claim them as alums in MLS.