Calf Cramping

Discussion in 'Referee' started by SouthernYank, Mar 18, 2014.

1. SouthernYank

SouthernYank Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I tend to get calf cramping, but only with about 10-15 minutes to go in a good college D1 men's match. So think a lot of running, 7-8 miles. No problem on the line, lower tempo center, or a string of youth games. I am fairly fit, run and strength train on a regular basis, but can’t seem to break out of this. I figured I might try to get this remedied now, long before the Fall season starts.

I drink a lot of water, probably a gallon every day, and drink water and/or Gatorade at halftime. Maybe I drink too much water. I do warm up and stretch before each game as well.

Is there something else I should eat or drink at halftime? What about those calf compression socks, and if so, do you wear them during the game, after, or both?

Thanks for any help.

2. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    I, too, struggled with cramping. Couple of things to try that worked for me:
    1. Eat something as close to the match as your stomach will tolerate. Have a snack during halftime. For me, I would have a energy bar or fruit, etc., before the match. Halftime I was always a fan of a gel or those energy gummy bricks. Hammer makes some drinks that can achieve the same effect.
    2. Check your shoes. A good running shop should be able to see how your foot falls when you run and make adjustments to your insoles or shoe-type, if needed.
    Since you state you don't have issues outside of a D1 match, I bet you are out running your energy stores so I would check there first. I treat a match like that the same way I do a long bike ride; you need to replenish lost calories. I also have had some great luck with a supplement for long rides that effectively pre-loads your bloodstream with lactate and it works well on those warm days with a tough match. I usually would throw that down along with plenty of fluids before a D1 or PDL match, with much success.

3. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    It may be as simple as just drinking gatorade before the match and at halftime and water afterwards.

If you decide you need some solids or gels I'd recommend experimenting in a non-match workout. Calf cramps are bad, but vomiting on the pitch during the game is worse.

SA14mars repped this.
  4. malackym

malackym Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Warren Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same problem here. I just make sure I stretch before and I have a banana during half time.

Mark.

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    What is the basis for pre-loading the blood with lactate?

I agree that there may be a shoe and/or calorie and cation deficiency.

PH

6. DWickham

DWickham Member

Dec 26, 2003
    San Diego
    There are a number of causes, and some require medical attention.

I use compression socks for recovery. Although I understand that the scientific evidence of any benefit is lacking, I find them helpful. I've experienced no difference, however, using them during matches.

7. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    In short, it's thought currently that lactate helps reduce the "burn" during intense exercise and may be a fuel source for muscles. A buddy of mine did some research on lactate threshold training and it seems like interesting stuff. The supplement claims to reduce burn, fatigue and cramping by pre-loading your bloodstream. In other words, your body doesn't wait to react to the intense training to increase lactate levels. I have personally found that taking this supplement has reduced cramping, fatigue and the like -- so at the very least it has a great placebo effect!

I'm not normally a supplement kind of guy (I don't even take a DMV) but this is one that I've had luck with.

8. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the same problem as the OP. Every time I do a competitive center I cramp up with 15-10 minutes left in the game. I eat a banana every day, take mineral supplements and drink lots of fluids. I did change my diet recently to loose some weight and I have lost 12lbs so far. But I have had this issue before the diet change. I have compression socks that I wear during games I also stretch with no help. The only thing that i can think of is the lack of salt and caffeine in my diet.

9. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Sounds very odd to me. Lactate is produced when the muscles do not get enough oxygen, and causes the problems that are experienced such as soreness. It can only be removed by providing oxygen, and it where the term "oxygen-debt" comes from. It can be a fuel source if there is nothing else such as glycogen or glucose available because it will eventually get metabolized to carbon dioxide with release of energy.
    So starting with increased lactate is like starting a race or a game after already having gone through intensive exercise.
    What is in the supplement or what is its name? I'll look into it. I wonder if any double blind studies have been done with it. Even placebos work some of the time.

PH

10. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Well, as long as you don't have peripheral vascular disease (can't imagine that you do), those leg cramps are probably all about potassium.

Potassium sources are fresh fruits and veggies (bananas classically, but also oranges melon, really any fruit), milk. You can even take potassium supplements, but those can be a little hard on the stomach.

If you have any reason to have altered potassium metabolism (chronic renal disease, high blood pressure requiring diuretics) or absorption/loss (chronic diarrhea, celiac disease), get those addressed. Otherwise, focus on your pre-workout potassium and see if they aren't much better.

I do think 6-8 miles of running is a bit much to do just straight water for hydration- the long distance guys on the board may have an opinion, but some of your replacement should be electrolyte as well

11. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    You might want to refresh your research on lactate, as it isn't thought to be the cause of acidosis any longer (at least that's what I've read/seen/been told). And I don't want to get lost in the menutia of a sports science discussion, mainly because I'm more of a technology guy and not so much a doctor :).

I'll PM you the brand name.

Pierre Head repped this.
  12. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I take 2mg of beta-alanine before weight training workouts for the same "reduce burn" effect. I've never tried it for matches because of the tingling sensation you get from taking it, and the fact that it makes me feel like I'm heating up (those seem like bad things for a distance running situation!).

Which supplements are you referring to that contain the lactate that you're talking about? I take Lactaid pills before I eat dairy, which contain the lactate enzyme, but I assume you're talking about something else!

13. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    No definitely not Lactaid nor the lactate enzyme! It's a combination of Vitamin D, calcium, magnesium and lactate.
    Won't help your body process dairy products :)

14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    No science involved here. I have always been a long distance bike guy and I have been cramping after 45 miles in my right foot. It is excruciating. I have to get off the bike and just wait for it to pass. I used to think I was tightening up and curling my toes as I tired. But, if I eat right and hydrate (both water and Gatorade) it tends to lessen the cramps. Bananas. Love them. All kinds of fruit actually.

I don't cramp at all running because I'm so slow, the cramps get bored. But I zoom on my bike!

15. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    The enzyme is LACTASE, whereas lactate is the cellular form of lactic acid. The enzyme breaks down lactose (milk sugar) so that it can be metabolized for people who don't make enough of their own and so are lactose intolerant.
    Lactic acid is found in soured milk, which how the name is derived.
    Confusing isn't it?

PH

16. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Yes, sir, thank you for the correction.

17. Buck the ref

Buck the ref Member

Aug 7, 2012
    You need to replace your potassium levels during the match, plus your electrolytes. I would eat a banana before and at half time of the game. I would also drink an electrolyte replacement drink. I find that Powerade works great and only costs $0.89 per quart bottle at Walmart. You can also eat a good protein bar, something with at least 15 to 20 grams of protein - these usually only are about 200 calories per bar.

18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I have seen that some people like mustard or pickle juice if you can stand the taste. Not sure how much.

PH

19. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Speaking of that, I was told years ago about Apple Cider Vinegar post-workout to help with next-day soreness. You drink a capful after your workout (and then wash the cap, as I learned the hard way!).

Bizarrely, it has always worked for me.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Not so bizarre.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11435516

http://www.coreperformance.com/daily/nutrition/mustard-a-cure-for-cramps.html

However, some cramping can be associated with potassium deficiency. Have a banana with that cap of vinegar.

21. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A cup?? How on Earth do you get that down?

EDIT: I can't read. Capfull sounds much more reasonable :)

22. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I got a pair of these compression socks after seeing them listed in the OSI catalog. I wore them last night for a couple of fairly vigorous HS games, and I think they really helped. Then again, the placebo effect is a powerful thing. And they were only $22 when I bought them last week on Amazon, but this week they're $35. Go figure.

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Update: After two longish evenings in these socks - and keeping them on for an hour or so after the games also for "recovery" - I'm prepared to tentatively endorse them. Lower legs and feet definitely felt better than usual both during the games and the morning after.

dadman repped this.
  24. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dad (in his 70s) has one of those, but I actually have no idea what he uses it for.