Cagliari [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Southern Clubs' started by Cassano, Jul 12, 2007.

1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Re: Cagliari 2007/2008 [R]

Gotcha. Thanks for that. The part above is interesting, though. How old are the palaces?

2. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

not much, 4 decades or so, they are quite ugly and they have no historic value.
    sant'elia as it is now is kind of a ghetto, a troubled district apart from the rest and a heaven for drug dealers. anyone from cagliari knows that you don't mess with people from sant'elia. the main idea is to change that by integrating the "ghetto" with the rest of the city.

3. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Back-to-back wins for Cagliari. After the draw with Milan, the results have been very positive for i sardi. The important thing is that Acquafresca has returned and scoring goals and he has shown that he is the one who can save Cagliari.

Here are the highlights. Both goals are good but Acquafresca's one was brilliant. Fini's pass was excellent and the shot from outside of the box was powerful and well-placed.

[youtube]fA4UBWjzPAs[/youtube]

4. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  5. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Cagliari 2008/2009 [R]

Cagliari 5-1 Bologna

Antonioli has to be one of the worst keepers to have ever played in the Serie A. He was crap at Roma and he didn't last long at Sampdoria but he was a shocker in this game. The defence was crap too. It's like they have never seen a team makes crosses into the box before.

Despite the pathetic defensive display by Bologna, it was good to see Acquafresca take his tally to four goals and even Jeda got a double as a sub. Allegri should be more relieved now and if Acquafresca can stay fit, Cagliari can improve their position on the Serie A ladder.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Great win for Cagliari, it even got their former manager Daniele Arrigoni fired.....

7. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

It was bound to happen and it was a nice touch for his old club to lay the foundations for the sacking.

Cagliari went 1-0 up against Catania only to lose 2-1 near the end. Not an easy task to play in Sicily. Jeda took his tally to 3 goals in 2 matches.

Fiorentina is next. It's in Sardegna so Cagliari may spring a surprise like they did last season.

8. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

Cagl 1 samp 0

cagl 1 paler 0

WTF is next!! cagl!!! :)

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Cagliari is now in 12th and is unbeaten in 4. You wonder what they could do if they started off strong...

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Acquafresca is still the heart of this team but the likes of Fini and Jeda are doing their bit. In most other seasons, Cellino would have sacked Allegri before the Milan game but now i sardi are looking more like a mid-table team.

11. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

oh well we're doing really good... and if one forgets about the awful start (first 5 games, 0 points) it's just the team performing as they did in the second part of the past season.
    Looking at the tables from match 6 to now is almost scary. 20 points in 10 games... 6 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. I doubt we can go on lke this till the end of the season otherwise we would be fighting for, at least, a uefa spot.

It looks like a miracle but miracle is not. we did the same in the second half of past season.
    So, why is that? I think it's for two reasons. the first one is that the team play as a unit, the players match very well together and the result is more then the sum of the single parts.
    The second reason is that some of the players tend to be undervalued in their real potential. even by cagliari fans themselves.

Let's see... Cossu is a quality player that is shining in the attacking midfielder role. he spent most of his career misused in the right wing. Fini is a quality right winger (or right midfielder), great foot, but he always lacked consistence. now he's missing one game out of four. prior it was the contrary.
    Jeda is a dangerous seconda punta, very good skills. he was lost in serie b far too long. everyone thought of him that he could be a serie a player but for some reason noone before cagliari took the chance.
    Biondini is a hell of a quantity player, if he could adjust his feet he would be top clubs material.
    Conti is a fine fine playmaker. too yellow cards prone but that is his only defect. he could well make a good sub for many of the top teams in serie a. he refused some interesting calls more than once, including one from his roma.
    Pisano is a good rightback (can play also in the left), still young and already has lots of caps. his only downside is his size. marchetti is doing very well and deservingly receving lots of praise.
    Lopez-Bianco is a pairing that works very well. lots of experience. I could go on with others.

My only wish at the moment is that we manage to have a comfortable season. without the usual sufferings of battling to avoid relegation till the last game.
    Bad times will come, I know, let's hope we will have collected enough points not to be scared by them.

About the last game. we were lucky with some refeering errors and palermo deserved the draw. but, other times we were on the unlucky side...

nice to see ballardini again and to have the chance to let him know that we didn't forget about his great job with cagliari.

12. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

bro look at udi start godly and now in the toilet:( sh1t happens!

well next game cagl visits roma! so im thinking cagl. 2 roma 2

yes i know a draw at roma?! but roma are un consistent so im expecting a draw:D

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I agree. I don't think Cagliari's players are valued enough. Obviously Acquafresca is highly praised but I only noticed Fini after his stint at Ascoli. Credit must be given to Cagliari for playing Jeda and Cossu because they were recruited from some weak teams yet in the Serie A, they are very good players and making the most of it. Lopez and Bianco is possibly the most underrated centre-back pairing in the Serie A.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I have a feeling they will beat roma as roma needs to give their all today in the CL.....bravo Cagliari!!!

15. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

CAG. 2 udi nil

nice

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Gioca bene gioca male Daniele Conti in nazionale!

17. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Cagliari have really been going from strength to strength since that 0-0 draw with Milan. Now they're mid-table and Allegri has moulded together a very good team to support Acquafresca.

Udinese is in a crisis now but it was still a good 2-0 win for Cagliari. They should have got one against Inter too.

18. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

i wont b surprised if they draw against lazio today!! HA

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Great job! After going down after 3 minutes on a goal by Rocchi, I can not believe Cagliari scoring 4 straight goals in the 1st half!

20. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

That was the best half this season. one of the best ever, I'd add. we looked like barcelona on a good day. It's really a delight for the eyes when we play like that.

then we went on with a more conservative second half. we managed to avoid being beaten by 2 very dubious penalties (the one near the end of the first half was frankly ridiculous) and also managed to miss 2 incredible chances to score the 5th goal.

now we have 28 pts. -12 from the usual 40 pts target to avoid relegation with 18 matches left. We'd need a collective harakiri to miss la salvezza.

One note for a less used player. Lazzari is a phenomenal player from a technical point of view. If he manages to grow tactically and gains more consistence he'll develop into a fine fine midfielder.

p.s. what a goalkeeper Marchetti is!

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

It seems Cagliari in the last 2 seasons has started off slowly and then taken off in January...last year after a slow start, everyone had them relegated and the same this year......Cellino has a good team and I just think he needs a few more elements and/or players to fight for an UEFA or a CL spot. If we all remember when Gianfranco Zola came back to play at 37-39 years of age, their place in the table was pretty healthy after moving up to the Serie A from the B.

A few or even one more player like that will make a huge difference in the team.... I'm not exactly sure what Cellino's plans are for a scudetto or what have you but I think he should be a little more aggressive in signing one or two big time players to an already stable franchise.

22. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

sumthing tolled me this was more then a draw on cag. side:)

can u guys get the video?

23. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

incredible Cagliari

24. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGD_atE9Im0"]YouTube - Lazio Cagliari 1-4 Serie A 25-01-2009 - Sintesi Completa (Highlights)[/ame]

25. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

cellino hasn't got the needed money to sign big names... so we are forced to cut wild dreaming soon :D

btw he could go on impersonating the role of a competent calcio president (I'll believe it only when I see it). some proven good players, some clever signing of undervalued serie b talent, keeping most of our current players and we could solidify our place as a mid table team (with hopes of getting a uefa spot).