Cagliari [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Southern Clubs' started by Cassano, Jul 12, 2007.

1. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Cagliari 2007/2008 [R]

Ragatzu is promising but he is still 16. Too early to say if he will go on developing and remain at the top.

Guberti is good. And I thought he was good when he was playing for Torres Sassari. I was hoping Cagliari would get him but cellino thought otherwise. It's not like he was unknown.
    It's a bit more sad cause he is from a village not far from cagliari.

2. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

hopefully he doesn't follow the same route as Pisanu. Although Pisanu made his debut with the first team at 16 years of age.

3. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Cagliari is in a real mess right now. Nedo Sonetti resigned after only 5 games, and Cellino wants to bring back Giampaolo (just like last season), because he is still under contract. However, Giampaolo has refused to go back (good for him, Cellino is ridiculous), and now we'll see what happens.

4. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

knowing cellino it is all a "trick" to force giampaolo to end the contract... let's see... if sonetti will come back, it's 100% sure it was.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I think the Serie A/FIGC should pass some type of rule that when a coach is fired he shouldn't be able to return to the club in the same season. For as long as I remember, I don't ever remember a coach getting fired and coming back to the same club as much as it has been in the last two years. You had Torino fire and bring back the same coach last year, then Bruno Giordano then in Palermo Guidolin has been fired re-hired 3 times. I do remember (10 years ago) Luciano Gaucci fired Giovanni Galeone then the next year had him rush back to Perugia becuase he was still under contract buyt as soon as he arrived dead tired after a long night long train trip, he resigned as soon as he showed up to the office. I think its worse for the players to have a coach being fired and then having him return. I just think its a non productive.

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Good idea.

It looks like Sonetti might leave after only a few weeks.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Sonetti sounded pretty mad when he told one of his players to warm up on Sunday.

The club however, after trying to rehire Gianpaolo (who refused to come back) has rejected Sonetti's resignation.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/162099.html

http://www.agi.it/engsport/news/200712201342-spr-ren0040-art.html

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=520490

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5i8HZ5WRSYmd46MweY4mw8hG6pREA
    http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/football/12/20/italy.cagliari.ap/

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

It seems like the right things are alwys said when you re-hire a coach you fired....

"I always liked Ballardini, he is a soccer connoisseur," Cellino said. "His dismissal was one of the few times that I was sorry to send a coach packing.

"Ballardini was not responsible for that situation. He was crushed by the workings of a team gone crazy that only wanted Sonetti".

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071227.wsptcag27/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

There are so many shit-talkers in this world, it's not funny!

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I guess if Sonetti gets fired he gets paid. If he quit he wouldn't have been so I guess it works to his advantage because he was about to quit last week anyways.

11. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

It probably won't change our destiny this season but... at least we got to get great emotions yesterday. 2 goals in 1 minute, 94 min.
    That was unbelievable. :D

it helps in keeping that little bit of hope...

people going crazy
    [youtube]tZTJVRbBRjo[/youtube]

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I herd Enrico Varriale say on the RAI INTERNATIONAL that presidente Cellino should have said what he said after the Cagliari win as he read his lips. He said he should be fined by the league but I'm sure he was letting out his aggressions after finally winning.

13. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

it was the heat of the moment... I was surprised he didn't go with the ombrello gesture... cellino is that kind of person... anyway he sould be punished, he should be forced to leave calcio, sell the property and leave to miami permanently. ;)

Today he said he is going to sell and leave calcio at the end of the season... i hope this time he won't disappoint us and go on with this laudable agenda.
    I don't believe it till I see it. too good to be true.

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

It must have been a dramatic game to watch!

I was listening to the game on the radio and after I heard that Napoli scored first, it looked like the same story for i sardi. Luckily I don't know to place bets for calcio because I was telling my cousins earlier in the day that if did place a bet (maybe about $AU500), I would have betted on Napoli to win. Cagliari scored their first goal, I thought it was going to be a draw but then came the winner. After that, it reminded me of the 1999 CL Final. One side should have won but the other won it in the last minute.

15. Anna Italia

Anna Italia New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    USA

No posting since January???

Forza Cagliari! I am happy with the signing of goalkeeper Marco Storari and hope Cagliari remains in the Serie A not going to Serie B. Though the situation, at this point is really tough, being at the very last position with 18 points!

CATANIA - CAGLIARI - I am for Cagliari!!!

16. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Grazie, Anna. :)

Finally the team is playing as a team. Ballardini is doing a good job. If only we didn't waiste 2 months thanks to cellino's madness...

in the last 7 games we gathered 11 pts which is a uefa cup average. If we keep this pace we could hope for a miracle. It will be very hard though.

Storari gave back confidence to our defence. Jeda helped in releasing a bit of pressure from our young strikers.

the biggest surprise came from Cossu, finally propheta in patria... He was lost in c1 with hellas verona, came back in january and he is playing fantastic. against genoa he was great playing as attacking midfielder behind the strikers.
    and one wonders... did he play an entire career in the wrong position (right winger)? He's 28. so he has still some years ahead of him.

Acquafresca showed why he is often a starter in the u21.

The boys have to keep playing this way. if we still get relegated we will go down with honour.

p.s. By looking at the precedents it is very likely that the 3 points deduction will be canceled. The punishment was harsh given the entity of the infraction... other teams escaped punishment with far worse breaches of the rules.

17. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

[youtube]EMZn2XXMo5Q[/youtube]
    look at cossu (freekick and assist to acquafresca) and acquafresca's great volley.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Good result for Cagliari against Roma today. They are slowly climbing out of the relegation zone....

20. Inter Milan Robert

Inter Milan Robert New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    New York

Cagliari has always been my second team.

Great result against Roma, and even better news with the 3 points "given" back.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Yeah Robert as a roma fan , I wanted roma to win, Having relatives living in Sardegna, I like Cagliari also. The result was good one for them. I think they may beat Milan although Milan also needs a win.....

22. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

These goals are from 1992-93, Cagliari's best season post-Gigi Riva.

Torino 0-5 Cagliari

[youtube]bHND25fZV6U[/youtube]

Cagliari 4-0 Pescara

[youtube]F__DBKDBGgs[/youtube]

23. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

yes, it was a solid team.

Francescoli was great, amazing touch. Matteoli was great. Lulù Oliveira in his prime was one hell of a striker... Moriero one of the last pure ala destra.

Our defense was rock solid with Firicano, Napoli, Herrera. the young Pancaro and Festa, Pusceddu a good left back with a rocket shot.

Also the year after we performed great. We got to the semifinals of Uefa cup when it was still a valuable tournament. We did eliminate Juventus but were eliminated by Inter... the last real obstacle.

p.s. Italians from the continent never got to pronounce "pusceddu" how it should. The "sc" is pronounced like the french "J" in jour. Usually that sound is rendered with a "x", infact the more correct spelling is Puxeddu.
    That sound doesn't exist in italian but it does in sardinian and sardinian surnames are in sardinian.

24. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Were the successes of the 1992-94 period down to Mazzone, good scouting or money or all of those things?

25. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You said it all, all of those things. Especially good scouting and money since Mazzone, who went to coach Roma, was replaced by Radice shortly and then Giorgi in the 93-94 season.

At that time a serie a mid table team such as Cagliari could sign world class players like Francescoli.