CAF at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Unak78, Nov 21, 2013.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    More on nationality changes:
    Hungary youth international Kennedy Otigba is en route to change allegiance for Nigeria. One of the standout defenders in Holland this season. Not sure why he plays for Hungary, as he's born and bred in Nigeria...

Apparently Nigeria is also processing another nationality change and the internet if rife with speculation as to the identity: Liverpool defender Thiago Ilori? Championship rightback Nedum Onuoha? Or the likeliest suspect Leyton Orient right back Elliot Omozusi?

2. Sunset

Sunset Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    So you go on Cybereagles Don't you? :thumbsup:

zahzah repped this.
  3. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tiago Ilori has already told he will play for Portugal.

zahzah repped this.
  4. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Since we're talking about African football websites already: What's up with ghanaweb ? Can't log in on their forum anymore and there seem to be a lot of former regulars missing as well, guess they have the same issue.

5. Sunset

Sunset Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Ghanaweb is just a damn mess at the moment!!!!! :sick:

Their only mod is 'literally' insane and tbe last time I went there, their whole front page was taken over by a spam bot...

6. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WC is two weeks away what is the prediction, hopes, concerns and opposition to CAF teams at Brazil. A breakdown by team would be nice.

7. mastermoo

mastermoo Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    This explains alot, some of keshi's choices are shoking, mainly no uzoenyi or obi for the likes of some awful players. But they seem to be linked with a friend of his, i saw this before but thought they just made the 30 but would in no possible way make the 23...guess i was wrong

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=12334

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Funnily enough so far in preparation the ranked outsiders Cameroon and Algeria have looked the best. I would also highlight that we are heading into the cup AND THERE ARE NO INTERNAL FIGHTS!!! The closest we have to that is Seydou Doumbia's decision to retire from international football due to being dropped (its tough to live in Drogba's shadow - be it at Chelsea or in the Ivorian squad).

Cameroon: They have momentum after the Germany game and will hope to solidify this in their final friendly. Of all the teams they also look like the full package: good GK, great defenders, great midfield, great attackers. They've been improving and the mega-underrated coach Finke is relishing his preparation period. Great decision to have 4 friendly games to tweek the team. Mexico has all kinds of issues with injuries, while Croatia has failed to impress, not to mention they will struggle moving from cool Sao Paolo to the intense heat and humidity of Manuas (where Cameroon will feel like at home). Plus Cameroon has the best schedule. I'm liking their chances more and more each day. There issue may be their physical style of play - with the wrong referee Cameroon may get the short end of the stick.

Cote d'Ivoire: Cote d'Ivoire yet to settle. Everyone knows the first team, but so far testing subs hasn't born much fruit. Meanwhile their opponents are all showing good form. Today we'll likely see the Ivorians in their strongest outfit. My main question remains: Will Drogba be a starter or will, e.g. he be a supersub for someone like Bony? They have the firepower to beat anyone in this group with the strongest attack and midfield, but Zokora, who starts at CB, looks terrible. The back was leaking tremendously and Lamouchi may need to think about changing the back duo (Bamba and Toure? Bamba and Viera?). I'm also thinking Sayouba Mande should be given a shot at becoming Cote d'Ivoire's no1 goalie, ahead of the aging Copa. A key issue for Cote d'Ivoire is the midfield: They loss anyone from Serey Die, Yaya Toure or Cheikh Tiote and they have no proper replacements.

Nigeria: Keshi still struggling with one position: the AM. Odemwingie was a failure there. Uchebo looked like someone with potential. At this point in time I think Keshi has no choice but to bring in Azeez and push Mikel into an attacking position. I bet he's wishing he had called up someone like Haruna, Olaitan or Kalu Uche... The wings aren't also working as well as they should, especially Ahmed Musa, so maybe this is where Odemwingie should slot in? Looking at Moses you would never have thought he was a Liverpool flop, but he obviously gives his all for Nigeria. The defence and midfield had some lapses yesterday, which I hope is just because of limited concentration due to this being a friendly. Ambrose's technical abilities are elite, but he so often looks like a security risk at the back, making simple things look hard. At this point in time Nigeria's issue is scoring goals consistently. But they have a never say die attitude, will fight for 90 minutes and one thing must be said: criticize Keshi all you want for his player decisions, but he is a master motivator and master tactician, easily my top 5 of this tournament.

Ghana: A lacklustre performances of first team wannabees against Holland poses many questions, answers none. Maybe apart from who should be the starting GK (Adam Kwarasey of course). Just one friendly ahead of the team and one thing is certain: Ghana is dead in the water without Gyan. Another worrying matter is the lack of depth in defence with Schlupp being cut and Akaminko + Vorsah out injured. Hopefully Ghana will up their tactical play once the tournament starts, just like they did in 2006 and 2010. A lot of questions as to what formation and midfield selection Appiah will make...

Algeria: I bet a nice sum of money on them getting out of the group due to the ridiculous undervalued level of the team. They have proved me wrong in friendlies. I lamabasted them for making the cup ahead of Burkina Faso, but they seem nothing like the defensive clueless outfit of 2010. A lot of exciting tactical interplay, fast wingers, compact midfield and a sturday defence. They could pull a surprise on everyone who is judging them based on 2010. We'll see...

Waliatiger repped this.
  9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Rewatched the Holland game or at least all the situations, where problems were created. One thing that stood out was the Albert Adomah and Samuel Inkoom - both of which were leaving holes to be attacked on the right. This was especially evident on the goal, where Adomah lazily trotted back leaving all kinds of spaces (he comes into the picture when the pass goes to the right). This is a stark difference to Andre Ayew, who never would have allowed for such a hole to form. He would have tracked back, thus cutting off the channel from which Holland scored the goal. It was a goal that could have been easily prevented, if all the RW did what was expected from him. Also not sure what Inkoom was doing - instead of tracking runs, he moved outside to where there was no threat. No guarantee Opare would have done differently, but he has matured a lot tactically so...
    On the second situation (point blank miss by Robben) it was poor backpass by Essien and again Inkoom's lack of tactical awareness.

Third chance which resulted in a 1-on-1 with Robben, Schlupp was the guilty party losing a ball he shouldn't have.

Fourth chance - run by Robben - some more lazy backtracking by Adomah, Andre Ayew would be all over Robben from the get go.

Fifth chance - Inkoom gives away the ball in a dangerous area. Again - can't guarantee Opare would have done differently...

Adomah, Inkoom and Schlupp aren't playing, so the backline should look much more solid.

Last two half-chances were from a corner kick and a great lateral pass, both not much at fault from specific Ghana defenders.

Attackingwise they missed Asamoah Gyan, who would normally fall back and take out two defenders with his movement and ball control, thus creating channels for others to operate in. Not much more to be added here.

10. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
  11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Unak78 repped this.
  12. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ah you beat me too it I was going to post the link! Yea this isn't a good sign at all for Cameroon at all. Tbh I wasn't expecting much from them In this WC nor do I expect them to get out of group A but hopefully their performance won't be as woeful as 2010.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Apparently issue resolved so they are on the plane and en route to Brasil. Shouldn't impact their tournament, plus the team showed coherency and stuck together on this, so also a good sign.

Apparently they forgot and left Djegoue and Olinga at the hotel, but managed to scurry back for them. Everyone is on the plane and should have landed in Brasil by now.

14. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes the president gave in. You expect them to advance in group A because I don't. Hopefully they put in respectful performances.

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    After their performance against Germany where nullified Germany in the first half and dominated Germany for most of the second half when they played a full squad I'm not counting them out. Plus Finke is one of the better coaches at the world cup.

16. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We shall see the Mexico opener is key. I believe Mexico are incredibly weak this year compared to their past form Cameroon must get a result for this match. Cameron debacle of a opener loss against Japan in 2010 crippled their chances. I'm more concerned about Ivory Coast and Nigeria getting out of the group compared to the other 3 CAF teams.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    All teams save for Algeria must get a result in the first game. Algeria can even lose their game, Cote d'Ivoire should at least draw with Japan (although losing to Japan won't eliminate their chances, just make it an uphill struggle). Seeing how easily Zambia dominated against Japan I'm inclined to worry about Japan a bit less, especially given how lucky they were to win that game (with the substitute GK largely to blame). The rest of the teams have their easiest game first.

That said Cote d'Ivoire's backline has no player anywhere close to Stopila Sunzu level and Japan may find chances easier to come by, not having to rely on fluke goals.

Unak78 repped this.
  18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    OMG.... USA is using 'forensic studies' and computers to beat Ghana :):

http://ghanasoccernet.com/exposed-u...computer-teach-players-defeat-ghana-world-cup

Their preparation will be funny. Let's see how it works out, especially given even the most loyal Ghana fans have no way of guessing the starting line-up for Ghana and the specific tactics Appiah aims to employ :)

This part is a keeper:
    The game against Nigeria is a sneak preview of what to against Ghana,the similar playing style

What is their similar playing style? The fact that they are both black? Their playing styles couldn't be further apart...

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Seydou Doumbia chosen best player of the Russian Premier League for the 2nd time in the last 3 seasons. Also won topscorer award in the league despite only playing 22 games.

Doumbia is apparently not good enough to play for Cote d'Ivoire, even though inferior players such as Hulk, Witsel, Willian (up until recently) and the like from the same league are starters for Brasil, Belgium and so on...
    475922461016330240 is not a valid tweet id

Unak78 repped this.
  20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #220 zahzah, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Pretty quiet here, so I gather the Africans are on other forums. A short summary of the teams just before D-Day:

Cameroon
    Vastly underrated due to internal issues that have plagued the team in the past 10 or so years. Ever since the 2003 Confederations Cup Cameroon has been in decline. But all signs seem to point to Cameroon hitting rock bottom. They obviously can't do any worse than in 2010, so anything better than that is an improvement. As a team I would argue Cameroon has the most rounded selection of players and by far the most prominent defensive lines. With an attacking trio of Aboubakar - Choupo Moting - Eto'o it could be argued they have one of the strongest frontlines at the World Cup, especially if Eto'o continues to prove he's not 'old'. From time to time Cameroon has looked like world beaters, especially in their two-legged tie vs Tunisia and during the friendly with Germany, where they confortably went toe-to-toe with the World Cup favorites. A lot of this has to do with a significantly increased team cohesion and with the impressive tactical management by Volker Finke. The main issue so far is a right back, as neither Nounkeu nor Nyom have looked good there, as well as the lack of a proper creative midfielder, so three creative forwards will be looking to bypass that issue.

Their opponents are Mexico, who are in transition and despite having a good coach and excellent track history, are not in any ways above Cameroon. Enough to mention how close to elimination Mexico were, so obviously they were in much bigger doldrums than Cameroon less than 12 months ago. There is no reason to treat them as favorites and I think the teams in the groups will have changed their perception of Cameroon after the Germany match.

GAME 1: Mexico - Cameroon
    13th June, 13:00 UTC-3 NATAL
    H2H: 1 loss friendly back in 1993

Croatia
    has superb talent, but also a short bench and limited options. The midfield with Kovacic, Rakitic, Modric and Perisic looks pretty imposing, especially with Mandzukic higher up, but Croatia have seemed lacking and unimaginative, so their confidence levels are pretty ridiculous.

GAME 2: Croatia - Cameroon 18th June, 18:00 UTC-4 MANUAS
    H2H: never met before

Finally Brasil - everything expects Brasil to go 3 games and 3 wins, but Brasil may have already qualified by matchday 3, so they may have less focus on the game than Cameroon. Cameroon will also take solace knowing that they have beaten Brasil in the past. Eto'o himself has beaten star studded Brasil line-ups twice in the past (Olympics 2000 and Confederations Cup 2003). I wouldn't bet any money on it, but if Cameroon catch fire who knows?

GAME 1: Brasil - Cameroon 23rd June, 17:00 UTC-3 BRASILIA
    H2H: 3 losses - World Cup 1994, friendly 1996, Confederations Cup 2001; 1 win - Confederations Cup 2003

All in all, Cameroon aren't a lost cause as people pretend they are. Arguably their preparation was amongst the more impressive and even the brief money-debacle won't change that.

Unak78, Romario'sgurl and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Nigeria gonna 3 and out.. I called it from day 1.

Blame Keshi.

22. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Cote d'Ivoire
    The Ivorians remain a big enigma. In qualifying and the Nations Cup they always steamroll through opposition. They also comfortably beat second tier opposition at World Cup games. They have however historically struggled against top tier teams, playing close games, but ultimately falling short. This time around I'm pretty sure they rate they're chances and could just as easily steamroll through the group phase as well as fall short. Somehow I feel they'll come good this time around. Things could have been so much easier for the Ivorians, if they had won the African Cup of Nations last year, as they would have likely been a top 8 ranked team.

Preparations have been lukewarm with a loss to Bosnia (although to be fair the Ivorians played with the reserve team) and a half-hearted 2:1 win of El Salvador. Nonetheless truth be told I would have to say that this Cote d'Ivoire side is the strongest they have sent to the World Cup - Gervinho, Kalou, Yaya Toure, Aurier, Bony, Tiote all in prime form. The ony question being whether Drogba is past it or not (although in friendlies he looked just as good as ever). The main question remains the central back duo, as so far all options seem too slow, mistake prone or both. Serge Aurier is superb defensively and an upgrade from Eboue, but apart from that a lot of questions will be asked at a back...

Another doubt is the coach Lamouchi who is lightweight to the extent that he lets the big players of the team rule in the locker room. Or at least thats what rumours would have you believe.

Their opponents are Japan, a technically adept side with a great attack and an iffy defence. Asia's best chance to actually make it out of the group phase. They have looked impressive in preparation, even though a bit profiglate in front of goal. Not a must win game for Cote d'Ivoire, but if they do win I can't see the African powerhouses not progressing.

GAME 1: Japan - Cote d'Ivoire
    14th June, 22:00 UTC-3 RECIFE
    H2H: 2 losses friendlies in 1993 (Afro-Asian Nations Cup) and 2008 (Kirin Cup) and 1 win (friendly preparation game for World Cup 2010)

Colombia
    has a lot of superb attacking players, great attacking midfielders, great attacking wingbacks, but have looked suspect defensively. They will be missing Falcao, but they guys they have in reserve make this loss seem insignificant. Probably be a very intriguing attack-minded game, possibly for the position of group winner.

GAME 2: Colombia - Cote d'Ivoire 19th June, 13:00 UTC-3 BRASILIA

Finally Greece - obviously by far the best defensive team on the group, but honestly they are the prime European candidates to go three and out. Europe as a whole struggles outside of their continent and I can't see Greece doing much here, as even their packed defence is just too lightweight for the firepower on show in this group.

GAME 3: Greece - Cote d'Ivoire 24th June, 17:00 UTC-3 FORTALEZA

All in all, Cote d'Ivoire are expected to get out of this group, but it remains to be seen. Last chance saloon for them. The Ivorians will undoubtedly fancy their chances though.

Unak78 repped this.
  23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nigeria
    Nigeria have looked the weakest in preparation, extremely thin on the bench and with questions all-round regarding how prepared they actually are for the World Cup. I was a Keshi believer, but his selection for the World Cup has run my patience very thin by selecting up to 10 players who may not be of the quality required. Most worryingly Nigeria only seem to have two quality defenders in Mikel and Onazi, while Reuben, Uchebo, Azeez are all unproven. Meanwhile Lukman Haruna, the ideal player for the third man in midfield, will be watching the World Cup from his television set. As will 2013 African Cup of Nations hero Sunday Mba or talented Nosa Igiebor or Joel Obi. The injury of Elderson has further unhinged the team as there is no proper replacement for him (well there is, but Taye Taiwo is for some reason unselectable).

I'm all for Nigerians to hire homegrown coaches and Keshi has a great track-record. But the selection has to raise eyebrows. And most of those chosen have yet to prove why they actually deserve to have made the team ahead of established players. Gabriel Reuben's presence is the most shocking selection, although Michael Babatunde and Shola Ameobi equally raise questions.

No choice now but to give Keshi the benefit of the doubt. Mikel is Nigeria's most important player (pull him out and Nigeria will fall apart) and the starting XI is good, maybe even really good. Nonetheless the backline has been exposed in friendlies, especially with Elderson out, while attack has failed to create and score chances.

Fortunately for them they start off with Iran, who have been pretty poor in qualifying and Nigeria must take this game in order to progress. As lightweight an opposition as they come at this World Cup and if Nigeria is to progress nothing less than 3 points will do.

GAME 1: Iran - Nigeria
    16th June, 16:00 UTC-3 CURITIBA
    H2H: 1 win friendly 1998

Bosnia
    likely the clinch game with Nigeria needing at least a draw. Bosnia have managed to form a great A-team in their small country with Pjanic, Dzeko, Besic, Ibisevic, Spahic, Begovic all stand-out players. Much like Nigeria the bench is very thin, so any injuries to the first squad and selection problems will start to appear. Tough game to call, but I expect a draw and the progression to be decided on final day on goals scored / conceeded.

GAME 2: Bosnia - Nigeria 21st June, 16:00 UTC-4 CUIABA

Finally Argentina. Nigeria's grudge match after three losses in three World Cup games. Argentina may well have qualified by this point, so I expect Nigeria to have more higher motivation going in. All of Nigeria's losses were close games and Enyeama for one will take solace in the fact that he proved better than Messi during their last encounter, while only losing due to an incorrectedly scored goal. And that squad was weaker than this one. Mikel another player with Messi history dating as far back as the U20 Youth World Cup.

GAME 3: Nigeria - Argentina 25th June, 13:00 UTC-4 PORTO ALEGRE
    H2H: 4 losses, 3 in World Cup group stage (1994, 2002, 2010), 1 friendly (2011), 1 win friendly (2011), 1 draw (Confederations Cup 1995)

Won't call this one. Nigeria should progress from this group and if they don't its all on Keshi.

Unak78 repped this.
  24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ghana
    Ghana sending their strongest and deepest team yet. Packed in midfield and on the wings. Surprisingly deep in attack to the extent they left several talented strikers out of the squad. The problem start off at the back, especially with Akaminko and Vorsah out injured. Another issue may be rotation of the first team and the struggle to first the best starting XI mix. Another issue is Appiah's Dr Strangelove with Fatau Dauda, ahead of Adam Kwarasey or Stephen Adams. Ghana looked out of sorts in preparation, even against South Korea who they thrashed 4:0. Obviously a counterattacking type of team, increasingly offensive under the watchful eye of Kwesi Appiah.

Ghana is sending the youngest World Cup team, so it shows that unlike others Ghana is here to stay, consistently producing class talent and definitely looking likely to be back come 2018. The first generation of Ghanaians will be out of the team by then, save for Gyan, who will still only be 31, and Muntari and Essien the only other remnants of 2006 probably too old to play for Ghana by then.

It will be very interesting to see whether Appiah has tricks up his sleeves, because he's playing everything very close to his chest. Appiah is very experienced as far as coaching Ghana is concerned, as he's been assistant coach for the team since 2007. He knows the players in and out, apparently is widely respected in the locker room. Could be his big coming out, if everything goes according to dreams.

Ghana has a perfect record so far of qualifying from the group phase of the World Cup, but they face a daunting task his time around. USA is looking for revenge, while Ghana have yet to beat a top tier side like Germany. Is Portugal a top tier side or are they more like Czech Rep in 2006, a team on a temporary high?

Their opponents are USA, which is a must win game for Ghana, so they'll want to retain their flawless record against the Americans (yet to not win against them at any footballing level). Ghana will fancy their chances, but Klinsmann and co have been doing their homework, whilst USA are not to be underestimated. Must admit the game has me jittery.

GAME 1: USA - Ghana
    16th June, 19:00 UTC-3 NATAL
    H2H: 2 wins (back-to-back World Cups 2006 and 2010)

Germany
    has top-tier talent and is a packed side. But nonetheless if Cameroon could ruffle their feathers and dominate them for almost 90 minutes (losing only due to an obviously offside goal), then maybe Ghana does stand a chance after all? Loew honestly looks like a bit of a clueless coach. Ghana will like the climate and will not have to move for their game. Boateng vs Boateng round II.

GAME 2: Germany - Ghana 21st June, 18:00 UTC-3 FORTALEZA
    H2H: 2 losses - friendly 1993 and 2010 World Cup group phase.

Finally Portugal - we'll see... Will Ronaldo be fit? The biggest thing in Ghana's favour is that Portugal will have one day less of rest and after a gruelling match-up in Manuas no less. Not to mention the game will be played in midday. No-one seems to have mentioned this, but such a prosaic reason may tilt the game in Ghana's favour and is one of the main reasons I fancy Ghana's chances.

GAME 3: Portugal - Ghana 26th June, 13:00 UTC-3 BRASILIA
    H2H: never played before

Ghana has it all to do to progress. If they do manage to do so then sky's the limit with the depth they possess and Ghana will have proven themselves to be one of the top 10 teams of the world of the past decade. If they don't then... well... at least they have an excuse for not making it out of this group.

Unak78 repped this.
  25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Algeria
    The best African team in preparation going into the World Cup on the back of 4 confident wins. Nothing like the 2010 side as Halilhodzic has made wholesale changes to the squad and brought in youth over experience. With players like Feghouli, Ghoulam, Bentaleb, Taider, Soudani, Slimani this is an attacking team who will attempt to replicate the 1982 squad. No superstars on the squad, but they definitely seem to be slowly forming an excellent team. Defensively they do have holes at the back, but they seem like a well-drilled attacking unit. People seem to think they are weak based on their 2010 showing, but fail to take note that they are Africa's highest ranked team now, so obviously they have results to back this up with.

Their opponents are Belgium. Algeria can afford to lose the first game, so they come in with no baggage of expectations. Anything other than a loss is a bonus and despite all the hype I think Belgium is far from guaranteed a win.

GAME 1: Belgium - Algeria
    17th June, 13:00 UTC-3 BELO HORIZONTE
    H2H: 1 loss friendly 2003, 1 draw friendly preparatory game for World Cup 2002

South Korea
    have looked impotent in attack and full of gaping holes in defence, but are fast and will cause Algeria's defence issues. Nonetheless abysmal finishing has me place them as the weakest team in the group. This is 3 points for Algeria to take.

GAME 2: South Korea - Algeria 22nd June, 16:00 UTC-3 PORTO ALEGRE
    H2H: 1 loss - friendly 1985

Finally Russia - favoured to make it through the group phase, but I say Russia is a team to be beat. They have no superb players, but form a team, much like Algeria. Not very prolific in attack, but have a very strong structure and tactical discipline. If European teams are to do poorly in 2014 this would be one team to doubt in.

GAME 3: Russia - Algeria 26th June, 13:00 UTC-3 CURITIBA
    H2H: 1 draw friendly 1964

Algeria with a workable group. Coming off of the back of their impressive preparation I'm sure Algeria is confident and I doubt they're just glad to be here.