CA Houston to be made public?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by BulaJacket, Feb 21, 2005.

1. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://3rddegree.net/thirdindex.cfm?page=article&show=566

2. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow. Huge news. Hope they're going the Expansion franchise route as we in KC aren't giving ours up without a fight. I'm pretty sure San Jose feels the same way. 3rd Degree coming through again with a huge scoop.

3. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it is for expansion. That would give Houston more time to get ready and have things set for a stadium. If they moved someone, even for next season, there would not be a stadium set, other than way to big Reliant, or Robertson Stadium, which is owned by UofH and would have hassles of it's own. Although there have been plenty of Mexican League exhibitions at Robertson.

I myself, can't wait for it to happen.

bford

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think there's one this Weds - featuring Club America, of all people:

Hot Mexican Rivalry Comes to City Next Week

5. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    I wonder if anything about this will appear in the new soccer section in tomorrow's Chronicle...

6. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston plus Rochester as next expansion teams=
    1/ Good rivals Houston-Dallas Rochester-Metros
    2/ Good or decent stadiums
    3/ Interested/ready to go ownerships
    4/ One team west-one team east
    --
    Why wait until 2007, how about 2006?

7. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Besides 8 out of 14 making the playoffs sounds SO MUCH better!

If Club America and CD Chivas is what it takes to get stadiums full for those teams - I'm all for it... I'm sure both would/will draw large crowds at RSL - nearly 20% of Salt Lake is latino (I kid you not), so even while I'd hope they'd be cheering FOR RSL, they know who Chivas/Americas are - they would definitely have some drawing power.

I personally wouldn't care if MLS got a Euro owned team or two in the mix as well... I know some don't want foreign investment OR too much foreign investment, but it seems purely an emotional argument to me. In the end, it benefits the league and ALL the teams to have successful foreign clubs investing in MLS (money/brand/credibility). Besides, it will help settle the question if us Gringos really know how to play or not! :D (as if WC '02 wasn't clear enough... :D )

8. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we all know we really don't need playoffs, but that has been beaten to death, and I will prob. be dead before that type of change is made.
    Change the MLS cup to a league cup MLS vs. USL D1 and that I could live with.

9. Nutz

Nutz New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Probably not. But I do have a suspicion that insiders at the Chronicle (i.e. Davis) already had strong indications of this (damn, I hope it's true) and were able to subsequently convince the Chronicle Sports editors to add the "Soccer Page" as an exciting buildup to the announcement.

Houston Eagles 2006!

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

Among other things, including a piece on Chelsea/Newcastle and the Mia-less USWNT:

Cruz Azul Rejuvenated

The Chron provides better soccer coverage these days than I'll bet a number of current MLS cities see:

• The Soccer Page on Tues

• Glenn's column on Thurs

• Glenn's column on Sun

• Regular mentions in the various news & notes section on page 2

• Regular inclusion of games in the daily TV listings

• Plus the occasional column from John Lopez

• And the recent column by Dale Robertson arguing that Houston should get an MLS team and it should get its own stadium

Not a bad a landscape for las Aguilas to nest :D

11. csufguy

csufguy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2004
    LA
    I just had a novel idea. The idea I came across was that Club America should be ALL Americans! The Mexican owners could buy the club but really try something new and different. It could really be "America's" team. It's an interesting idea that should be further explored. The jerseys could mimic the Nat's or have an American flag(not like the rev's!) the theme of it. I mean that would be really interesting!

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Kind of like Vergara's teams elsewhere (Chivas in Mexico and Saprissa in Costa Rica). It'd be kind of weird if CA took that approach. I don't see it happening just since they'd probably want to bring in a few Mexican players to sell tickets.

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did CA announce anything about the Houston MLS bid yet?

15. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. The article says March 2nd is when they may announce something.

16. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry i just seen this thread and would absolutely love a team in H town. I'd buy season tickets first day with or without some Mexican player. Heck maybe i could get a tryout. OH yeah

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And even that was just a date that they were apparently tossing around for grins. It's Texas Indedependence Day, although I'm not sure how many people would know. (My own informal survey of a handful of people who actually grew up in Texas found that most could identify the year, but not the day. Go figure.)

Of course, the underlying qualification to all this current CA Houston talk is that we've been here before -- for CA last year, and for Chivas about two years ago.

18. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are you the Kool Aid man?

19. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going back a bit more, John O'Quinn was going to own a team to play at Robertson stadium.

20. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NASL did this in 1983 with Team America.
    [​IMG]

21. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope that won't work.

22. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Problem is, the date they told me the announcement would be made, I frankly found impossible. Really not realistic. It made no sense to announce it on that date. There are a few dates when it makes sense for MLS to announce this, and those dates were no where near what I was told. And the format for MLS making an announcement that big is NOT to do it the way they claimed.

It's possible that I was given the information, just to see if it circulated.

Since I was worried about having been given deliberately false information about when the announcement would be made, I published what I thought to be true, and did not publish what I thought could be false. I have no proof it was false. I have no proof they were trying to set me up. Nonetheless, I reported what I felt confident about, and speculated about what I could not be confident about.

I hope you understand.

23. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Team America? Like this?

[​IMG]

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that would've made for some interesting naming options - Houston Litigators? Texas Asbestos? South Texas Plaintiffs? At least they would've had flashy uniforms.

25. Nutz

Nutz New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Houston, TX
    well, March 2nd came and went. bummer.