C.S. Maritimo vs. S.L. Benfica: Primeira Liga - 8/18/13 Season Opener

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Benfica4Life, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

Maritimo vs. Benfica

Date: Sunday. August 18th, 2013.
    Time: 12:45 Eastern
    Stadium: Estadio dos Barreiros, Funchal, Madeira

Lista dos Convocados:

Guarda-redes: Artur, Paulo Lopes e Miguel Santos
    Defesas: Luisão, Maxi Pereira, Bruno Cortez, Melgarejo, Garay, Sílvio, Jardel e André Almeida
    Médios: Matic, Rúben Amorim, Enzo Pérez, André Gomes, Sulejmani, Djuricic, Ola John e Gaitán
    Avançados: Rodrigo e Lima

Marokivc and Salvio will miss this game. Huge blow to the team, I'm assuming Sulejmani will start in Salvio's place, and Djuricic will take Markovic's spot.

2. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Starting XI...

----------------Artur----------------
    Maxi---Luisão---Garay---Cortez
    -------R.Amorim---Matic----------
    Enzo---------Djuricic-------Gaitan
    -----------------Lima----------------

3. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Team looks just like it did during preseason......crap.
    JJ will be arse kissing Cardozo soon. Then again, he's stubborn and probably thinks he can still get the job done with his motley crew. I'm sensing a lot of lost points in away games this season. We shall see...

4. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    At the best of times, playing in Madeira is tough, but you're right, SLB hasn't looked good.

Cardozo does look good right now, but what does it say about JJs authority in the dressing room when a player pushes you in front of a televised audience and then finds himself right back on the team?

There's two weeks until the market closes, let's see what happens.

5. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Like you said, it's tough playing in Madeira. I'm sure the team is still good enough to string a winning streak together, but I think JJ has become an albatross around LFV's neck. LFV loves the guy because he's been good for business, but Benfica is starting to develop a reputation for choking when it counts. How many big clubs are going to want to pay large transfer fees for players who choke when it counts? Big clubs want big game players. I think we shall soon find that JJ is no longer good for business either....

6. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Salvio's absence was definitely felt on the pitch. Sulejmani should have started instead of Amorim. Enzo should have stayed at CM instead of Salvios's RM.

Benfica look 4th best at the moment. Porto, Beaga and even Sporting looking better.

Imagine how bad Benfica would be without Matic and Garay?

JJ is in his 5th season with Benfica and has failed to win ALL 5 season openers... And we begin playing catch up already.

BTW, we play Sporting in 2 weeks...

7. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Lolll, more of the same from this stupid asshat known as Jorge Jesus. I give him a few more weeks. If they fail to win against Gil Vicente, and get at least a point against Sporting, his ass is grass. Maybe even the same for LFV.

nbstriker8 repped this.
  8. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    After Mourinho, JJ is the best manager that is Portuguese.....Madeira is a tough place and SCP played Arouca not discrediting them but let me see them play a better team the liga is long

9. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    JJ needed a strong start to the season.....well that sucks. Lets put this loss into perspective though..1 game does not define a season.

10. 1906

1906 Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Except for that one game last season

Benfica4Life and moutinho777 repped this.
  11. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Lol In case you've forgotten, AVB absolutely shat on JJ when he was at Porto. You are insane if you think he's a better coach than AVB.

moutinho777 repped this.
  12. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's bold. AVB is a much better coach

moutinho777 repped this.
  13. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    JJ apparently is the 7th best manager in the world....take it for what its worth.