C.R. Vasco da Gama [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by AuriVerde, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Also guinazu was crushed for last game's tie, and so was Bastos.

95% passing and 84% passing from the two players responsible to take care of the ball.

Marlon and rocha are also among top passers. But they can't cross to save their lives. If you're hitting 30% of your crosses, and in marlons case 0% in 3 games, you're doing something wrong.

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Over 1700 new sócios joined vasco in one day making it 3000 in the past 2 months contrary to the usual 7 new members per month.

Opposition candidate from chapa casaca nelson rocha says that this is Eurico buying up votes and wants the current president to review all new entries and null them for the election.

So looks like Eurico is going to be vasco president again...

3. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How did montoya play? colombian media said the brazilians praised him for work on the field in his recent game...but I'm not sure if they are just sugarcoating it lol

4. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Montoya did amazing, but the opponent was weak. I would like him to keep up those performances, he's talented that's for sure

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @radiobrasil940: Vasco: Ex goleiro Acácio elogia partidas do uruguaio Martín Silva e admite que ano passado havia carência na posição.

@radiobrasil940: Acácio diz que Martín Silva passa tranquilidade e acredita que rebaixamento poderia ter sido evitado caso houvesse melhor qualidade no gol.

6. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Monday QBing at it's finest.

The GK was not responsible for one of the worst Defense in the Brasileirao. That just makes me think less of his opinion. A team takes in 61 goals, the GK would have stopped that? Great soapbox opinion, easy stand to take, still a shit opinion.

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I think I mentioned elsewhere, in the Estaduais maybe, that the difference between Martin vs Diogo is that Martin makes crosses look like they were right at his hands and he's a better libero, coming out to sweep the ball.

Reflex saves? same thing.

Being able to cut crosses makes him a MUCH better GK and not all GK in the world can intercept crosses like he can.

Most keepers punch or tap the ball away from crosses, come running in to intercept. Martin is always there, makes it look easy. i have to admit I was REALLY surprised by his antecipation on crosses, it's insane.

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Guigs I told you this way b4. With Diogo Silva any ball into the box could be a calamity. Coming off your line and anticipating crosses is like you said what separates the average from the good. maybe you will eat crow about Vasco's gks...

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Plenty of GK attributes that get overlooked: giving the team a 'sense of security', a command of the area, link up play (reposicao de bola), etc. If it were only as simple as judging a GK by his reflex saves and his ability to take care of aerials balls.

10. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    That's what I'm saying

Reflex saves equal - I didn't see Martin Silva do anything in the goal that hasn't been done by Diogo, the best Reflex save this year for Vasco was Diogo's and it will be hard to beat, he went down and punched a ball out of the line.

Reposicao - up until now Diogo is still statistically better, i don't care much about opinion, stats are stats

Link up Play - kind of goes together statistically with reposicao on the stat book since it's consider a lancamento.
    Diogo has less lancamentos and is more accurate, Silva has been doing 2x the amount of lancamentos but is not as accurate.

Command of the area is too broad let's break it down between 3 things
    Crosses - Silva is infinitely better than most at this, extremely impressed

Sweeping - Silva plays the ball at his feet better than Diogo, he comes out better to sweep back passes and missed long balls from the offensive side.

Closing down - Silva hasn't had much to show in 3 games where he had to close down a shot, last year Vasco would give up 3x a game a 1 x 1 chance for the GK to close down. No opinion on Silva yet I haven't seen him close down enough times.
    Diogo has tons of 1 x 1 stops last year and 2 penalties saving more than 60% of the 1 x 1 opportunities. (but let's remember the 2 penals)

Now, to me the best GK will always be the ones that have command of crosses like Martin, because a team might have 4-6 shots on goal, but on the same game they probably will have 30 crosses, it's that big of a difference.

Is Diogo Silva worst than Cavalieri in crosses? Not even close, he's seriously the worst I've seen. But one team wins the other loses and all faults are forgiven. I'm a pragmatic fan, I'm not a crazy fanatic person which is looking for the worst to happen, or somebody to blame. On corner, no I didn't think Diogo was going to mess up, on crosses, no I didn't think Diogo was going to mess up. I was actually thankful for Diogo's interventions during the year, which kept us close on a lot of games, or kept it from making a landslide loss.

Is Martin Better, yes of course! He's better on the things that GK are asked to do more than any other thing.
    Is the GK to blame for the relegation? Anybody that says that likely only watched highlights.

11. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Douglas to Vasco

His salary is 350 monthly. This is outside of what Vasco put in place as their salary cap (150)

I'm wondering if this was because of the invasion at the CT and if Corinthians is paying 200k per month just to have him out of there to make the fans a bit less nervous.

12. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well do you like the deal? I think it is just what the Dr ordered. I doubt the environment in Vasco will be stress free so I can't see that being the sole reason behind it. he would be a guaranteed starter for Vasco so I can understand it from his perspective.

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    350 for Douglas is insane.

14. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I don't think he'll be a guaranteed starter, and the environment in Vasco will be stress free once Serie B starts, as long as they are not struggling, which I don't expect they will.

15. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Bastos has his worst game for Vasco, still participated in the play that created the first goal for Vasco.

Vaiado once again.

Just saying there's a reason every coach that comes into Vasco loves this player, and there's a reason why he played in every single selecao de Base (as a CM not a DM).

People need to get off his back and not burn him.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why was he loaned to Ponte last year?

17. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    To get him away from the Torcida. It wasn't a performance thing, it was Vasco trying to shield the player. If I was in Felipe's shoes I would have left Sao Januario, on any other club he would likely thrive.

Remember right before he left for Ponte (the only team that agreed to a no buy-out clause) there was interest in other clubs for him.

18. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Felipe Bastos é muito fraco. Só sabe cobrar falta.

Mengão86 repped this.
  19. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Na Ponte ele foi muito forte =P e esse ano tem controlado bem o meio do Vasco, esse ultimo jogo realmente mesmo participando da jogada do gol ele somente acertou 55% dos passes muito abaixo de sua media de 86% antes desse jogo.

http://footstats.net/times/vasco/estatisticas/

Passe dele caiu de 86% para 82% por causa do utimo jogo onde ele teve 13 erros
    Montoya, Edimilson e William Barbio perderam mais a bola que ele
    8/10 viradas de jogo certa
    quem recebe mais falta (pois carrega mais a bola no time)
    4 faltas no campeonato
    5/10 cruzamentos (empatado com mair numero de cruzamentos certos)
    13 desarmes somente atras do Guina e Luan

Mais finalizacoes para o time 21 (4 em gol) esse era para ser o forte dele, que todo mundo fala que eh a unica coisa que ele sabe fazer, quando ele voltar a acertar isso (e vai) o cara vai ser o jogador que ele estava sendo na ponte.

Ele vem sendo vaiado no Vasco desde que tinha 21 anos, ninguem aguenta nao. Torcida tem que motivar nao queimar, olha o corinthians.

20. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Then Douglas gets here, everyone is going to want Douglas instead of Bastos... ask any Corinthiano how good Douglas is talk about a player that aged a lot in the past 2 years.

21. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Essas estatísticas não dizem muito. Ele passa mais a bola e mais vezes certo porque joga no meio... vem, passa pro volante, pro lateral,etc. Os atacantes obviamente perdem mais a bola porque geralmente recebem já marcados, em desvantagem. Enfim, esses números não dizem nada, tem que ter contexto.

Felipe Bastos não é um bom marcador, não arma bem o jogo. Finaliza bem e só. Sempre foi vaiado porque sempre foi fraco, ora. Torcida do Vasco já foi bem pior, hoje é paz e amor.

Em todos esses anos, só lembro de um ou dois jogos aonde ele foi realmente bom, um em 2010 e o outro em 2011.

Na Ponte Preta todo mundo elogiava pelos gols de falta, nenhum elogio quanto a bola jogada.

Mengão86 repped this.
  22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Douglas and Bastos play different positions. And if he really is making 350, prepare to get frustrated.

And Guigs, you rely too much on stats. They don't tell the whole story. Let's say Player 1 only plays short, lateral balls and Player 2 mixes his passing up with short and long, lateral and through balls. Who will have the higher passing percentage?

Cadu had a 87% passing percentage last year. Does that mean he's good? No.

23. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Esse primero argumento eh o mesmo de quem nao gosta do Xavi.. serio mesmo.. a posicao de CM faz exatamente isso. Claro que a diferenca do Xavi para todo mundo eh 10% a mais de acerto de passe e um lancamento que nao existe em qualquer outro jogador com 90% de acerto.

Como marcador, ele esta em terceiro de disarme sem fazer faltas, eh igual quando falavam que o Romulo nao era bom marcador e nao tinha passe para controlar o jogo...

Romulo chegou na selecao fazendo "passe para o lado" e interceptando bola e fazendo pouca falta. Falavam mal pra caramba do Romulo! Inutil, nao presta, fraco... ai o cara eh vendido por quase o preco do Dede. Pocisao ingrata eh foda... Mas eh necessario.

Finalizacao estao sendo o fraco dele esse ano.

E nao, na ponte preta jorginho tinha o F Bastos jogando em pocisao avancada, quase um AM. Ele foi o F. Bastos igual ao do Vasco. 84% passe, segundo em desarme, finalizou muito, nao fez falta e nao perdeu a posse de bola.

Ou seja, exatamente o mesmo jogador em um clube a galera vibra em outro a galera vaia. Isso sem contar que o F. Bastos para o Vasco na nossa Sudamericana mandou bem, e mesmo assim nao fizemos festa nenhuma para ele, mas ele e Bernardo mandaram bem pacas na Sudamericana 2011.

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Most people like to break down stats in order to discredit them that way. But it's all relative to position played.

Actually Stats tell more of a story than the famous "olhometro" because they are unbiased.

Passing stats for example differ from each position, but if you take a look at a defensive player, CB of some sort or a DM they should have the highest passing % of the club, over 90%, anything below he shouldn't be touching the ball.

DMs should be the ones with the highest steals is another example. If all of the sudden you have another player in the team having a higher number, but your team's DM is on par with the rest of the league, it tells you that the other player is going above and beyond expectations (Dede 2011).

Now back to your example. The 2 players you described cannot be playing the same position. Because if they are one of them is likely doing something which would get him benched.

If player A is in a position of creativity and does not take chances, he'll get the bench
    If player B is in a position of securing possession and takes chances, he'll get the bench

So make apples to apples comparison when talking stats.

It's not just about the stats, its about the relativity of the stats based on players expectations and position. That's what people that don't follow stats don't get.

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think you understand my example.

Player 1 is a DM and just plays short balls to the side. He has 89% pass.
    Player 2 is also a DM and mixes his passing up. Due to this, his team is playing much better when transitioning from defense to attack. He has a 87% pass.

Who's the better player? Once again, you can twist numbers to fit your motives.