C.R. Flamengo 2014: Rumo ao Bi [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by Mengão86, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This may be worse than the 2012 campaign.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I echo that, NotreDameFlamengo and Mengão86. :(

NotreDameFlamengo and Mengão86 repped this.
  4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unfortunately, I expected this deep down inside. Fla in the Libertadores has been disastrous.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Cruzeiro, Atl.-MG, Botafogo, and Grêmio are left. Of the 4, Botafogo worries me most as it visits San Lorenzo. Hopefully they'll advance and make some noise in the knockout rounds - having said that, it is looking increasingly harder for a Brazilian team to win the Libertadores this year. Anelka may give Atl.-MG that extra something; Cruzeiro may suddenly reincarnate its late 2013 version, and Grêmio has been quite consistent throughout.

Still, I am not confident in 2014 as I was in previous years.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'll do a write up here in a few on why Fla was eliminated. I just have to cool off and collect my thoughts. I have four points to touch on.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Except Curinthia of course :D

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm curious if Jayme will be 1 of the 4.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #534 Mengão86, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    In no particular order:

1) Jayme - He basically coached these games if they were the Carioca. The team had the same problems in every single game and no adjustments were made. I know his options at certain positions were limited by a variety of reasons, but that doesn't explain some of the questionable decisions he made. He also waited way too long in most of our games to make a substitution. It was almost as if he had no feel for the flow of the game.

2) Volantes - Except for Caceres for two games, this position was a constant problem in all of the games. Amaral couldn't repeat his form from the end of the year. I honestly don't know what happened to him. He advanced forward way too often and took long distance shots that were way off target. I guess his goal in the CdB finals gave him that confidence. On defense, he provided no protection for the CBs. I knew we were in trouble with Muralha from the start. He makes too many careless passes in our own half (which wastes possession) and hardly makes an effort to win a ball. The midfield was dominated by the opposing team in every single game.

3) Injuries - We got bit by the injury bug at the worst possible time. Not many teams can lose 5 starters and expect good performances. Fla still had the manpower to advance IMO, but it was a lot more difficult and the margin for error was slim.

4) Diretoria - Everyone knows I'm a big fan of their work, but no one is perfect. Ticket prices are too high and we desperately needed a Plan B for Elias. They knew Luiz Antonio was going to the courts so we wouldn't have depth at that position. They knew Muralha was an unproven commodity that couldn't crack Portuguesa's lineup last year and couldn't be relied on in a competition of this magnitude. They needed to make a move before the window closed and they failed. Ok, Elias was too pricey, but you need other option other than a last minute run at Canteros. The planning was poor IMO. Overall, their administration has been good and is night and day compared to Patty's, but they failed on this one.

Obviously, there are other factors, but these were the main ones.

10. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I didn't even notice Muralha at Portuguesa last year.

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Jayme continues to stumble, I hope Chapa Azul steps up to the plate and makes a quick decision. There's only one coach that I see available that I would like to have and he would cost money -- Tite. With a signing or two, I think Tite can mold this team into a competitor. Unfortunately, I don't see any promising coaches that are available that can also handle the pressure of a big club like Flamengo or Corinthians.

Our team for the Brasileiro looks as follows, considering Cadu leaves and frees up some salary room:

GK: Felipe, Paulo Victor, Cesar
    RB: Leo Moura, Leo, Digao
    LB: Andre Santos, Joao Paulo
    CB: Wallace, Samir, Chicao, Erazo, Welinton
    DM: Caceres, Luiz Antonio, Marcio Araujo, Amaral, Muralha, Recife (send back down or loan)
    AM: Elano, Mugni, Mattheus, Rodolfo
    W: Gabriel, Paulinho, Everton, Negueba
    ST: Hernane, Alecsandro, Nixon​

Overall, a solid team on PAPER. I hope we sign a few "apostas" from the Estaduais, particularly at DM, LB and a winger. As far as investing real money, it really depends on scheme. Elano can't be relied on and Mugni needs to be slowly worked in, so I would still try to puruse a #10 as my first priority. Caceres and Luiz Antonio are average to above average players at their positions. I'm not a fan of Marcio Araujo, but he's an experienced backup. I'm not sure what to expect from Amaral. If we can get a decent name for relatively cheap at #1 DM, I'd do it.

If we go with a three man midfield (DM and two CMs with 0 CAM), Elano is basically ruled out. He doesn't have the work rate to play in a setup like that and we'd basically have to get an 'Elias' replacement.

To sum it up, my wish list:
    - Tite
    - #10 or 'Elias' replacement, depending on primary scheme
    - 'Apostas' at #1 DM, LB and winger
    - Loan some of the younger players (Mattheus, Rodolfo, Digao, Recife, Igor Satori, etc.)

MetroChile and NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  13. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vagner Mamcini seems more likely to me although he might have got a job by now in the middle east. Either way Jayme's getting fired look at the first 7 rds of the brasileirao.. So like you said in the vai e vem thread the quicker they hire someone the better because it's inevitable with the way the season starts.

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'll pass on Mancini. Not a fan and he's failed at every big club he has managed.

15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can't stand him.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jayme rolling the dice playing Luiz Antonio, araujo, and Amaral. I actually like the move but this man has no regard for his job lol.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not sure how you can really celebrate a title after two 1-1 draws.

19. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    A little $ inflow that was sorely needed. I'll take it.

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Carlos Eduardo falta premiação do título do Flamengo: 'Não fui. Iriam me perturbar' - http://t.co/k2Abs6dLQH

21. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
  22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Fla already working the apostas. We need a DM and LB still, and maybe we will have some money to spend on a #10.

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  25. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I would love a loan of Negueba to Europe. A team where they will drill the fundamentals into him. Holland would seem like it would cater to him in terms of the style of play of him and the Brasileirao.