BVB 2012-2013 Champions' League Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How Will BVB Do In The 2012-2013 CL??

1. BVB Will Win The CL.

23 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. BVB Will Make The CL Final And Lose There.

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. BVB Will Make The CL Semi-Finals And Lose There.

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. BVB Will Make The CL Quarter-Finals And Lose There.

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. BVB Will Make The CL Round Of 16 And Lose There.

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. BVB Will Not Get Past The Group Stage Again.

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The flaw in your argument is that you're using an anomaly to prove the point. Chelsea was not the 'best' but generally the teams that continue to make the semis and reach finals certainly are. And you certainly can't argue that they didn't deserve it. They followed through their plan til the end. Chelsea have a phenomenal CL record in the past ten years and are worthy to make the final. There's a status that comes along with it. The same applies to recent United and Barca sides. United lost their last two finals but they were arguably one of the best sides, second best even, in Europe.

It takes something truly special to consistently get far in Europe and even win it. Chelsea may have won it in a different fashion but it has been coming for them and the win was on the back of many years of building towards this goal.

It's nice to qualify for Europe every season but the goal should be to go as far as the semis and build a team that is feared in Europe. It's a long term goal but one that can benefit the club and its future as well. The CL has overtaken the World Cup as the premier football tournament. being a consistent strong performer there gives you plaudits and builds your pedigree. To go far in it, you can be truly recognized as one of the elite in the continent. I think it's time German clubs get back to this.

This Barcelona side will certainly be judged on their CL runs and rightfully so. It's ridiculous to think otherwise. Why? Because this is where you play the best on the continent. If you dominate your league which might otherwise not even be the best league, then it's even more important you do well in Europe to prove you are a great side. A side will never be regarded as an all time great if it consistently fails in Europe.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round and round they go, where they'll stop, nobody knows!

I think the part you just don't get is you can't tell others what to think.

You continue thinking about what you want to see.

I never said I don't want BVB to get there. I just don't agree with you and the other honks on what exactly it means.

I'm happy you're so convinced that you are the authority on this subject. Keep on thinking that.

But now, you get to do it yourself. As I stated, no matter what happens, history will judge this BVB team, not you.

3. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    while it might have given us a little experience, it sure didn't up our coefficient points as we will most likely end up in pot 4 again. I would like to make it to the knock out round and ideally to the quarters.

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Same here. But if we don't, we'll live.

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, on that other conversation. WE were that unfancied "anamoly" in 1997.

We were seen as a team who could make some noise, but in no way a favorite to win it.

Revisionst history is pretty funny.

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What?

Why on earth are you so defensive all the time?

Your attitude might just be the problem. It's not that I think I'm the authority. Nothing in my posts suggests that. You simply didn't make a good argument using Chelsea. That's not arrogance. It's a fact of football.

The other thing that is a fact of football is that the CL is the highest marker of quality and indicative of how great a side is in the context of history. It's really as simple as that. If Dortmund don't become a consistent European performer they will simply be seen as a great domestic side but never along the likes of United, Chelsea, Barca, Milan, etc..

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. It might be that you're not paying attention to anything else EXCEPT the Chelsea part.

What part of a tournament isn't the best way to decide who is the best between club teams did you not get??

I laid out why I have that opinion. You didn't address it. You just jumped on the one thing you knew you could argue.

F#ck this. Think what you like. I'm telling you you're not going to tell me how to think. If you want to believe the CL is the be all and end all of what constitutes a great team, you go right ahead. As I've said multiple times, history will be the judge, not you.

And you're not arrogant.

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What would Barca be without the CL? What would Brazil be without the World Cup? What would United be without the CL? Madrid?

Now more than ever, since the World Cup is no longer the most difficult tournament, the CL is the purveyor of the highest quality of football.

Ultimately we are talking about the potential of this side. We know what it takes for them to remain a quality domestic side. That's not the end of it though. The next step in its evolution is to take this philosophy onto the highest stage of them all.

9. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you really need to do two things. Look back at history and pay attention to what is actually being said.

First of all, Real Madrid and Barcelona were already great clubs before the CL ever came into existence. Even in the stretch they didn't win a CL, Barcelona was considered one of the world's top clubs. Manchester United wasn't a great club "again" before they won in '99? Really? Sorry man, but f#ck that bullshit. Especially when they should have won it in '97, but nothing short of divine intervention gave us the upset.

You threw "What would Brazil be without the World Cup?" in there. I said previously when I laid out the argument on club football and tournaments you obviously ignored that tournaments are the best way to determine this for national teams because you simply cannot keep national teams together long enough to have a true league format decide who's best between them.

Really? Who says? You?

I think other fans might have other opinions about this. I personally think of all the tournaments, club and national, the European Championship has the highest quality of football.

And here lies the problem. You're too convinced of your own opinion.

You like to lay out YOUR OPINION as if it is iron-clad FACT. And man , it is not!

Again, says who? YOU?

This conversation started out with my opinion that I'd already take this club over the '97 club. That's when you jumped in with this bat-shit crap about the CL being the be all and end all of how great clubs are measured.

As much as you would love this to be fact, it is simply YOUR OPINION!

Yes, it is a widely-held opinion, but still just a f#cking opinion nonetheless.

Again, for the hundreth and possibly last f#cking time, history will be the judge, not you.

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jesus...The European Cup in general. The stage other than the domestic one...

The CL is in the spotlight more now because of the drop-off in International football.

No. You missed MY point that you cannot separate them and create an abstract criteria. Both, domestic and tournament count on a team's legacy nowadays. That's a fact. We were originally talking about Dortmund's legacy in lieu of their global standing? (At least I was)

I ignored it because the point is irrelevant to the discussion. Tournaments benefit teams that don't compete in other stages because they are both self-contained.. yea? Duh. What does this matter in judging club teams who can achieve success on both platforms? It says that teams that do are truly great and those that don't miss the mark.

You're kidding right?

This isn't a matter of discussion. How often do you hear Players talking about the CL are the ultimate goal?

Not only that, but can you find a platform where the quality of football in higher in concentration than this competition? No. Because it's the highest, that's also a fact.

But this is ridiculous and not a matter of opinion. The quality drop-off in International Football has been well documented.

Because it's not really an opinion.

Look at it this way. Since it's harder to judge the quality of leagues, although it's not exactly an impossible argument. If team A is in a stronger league than team B, team A should logically be the better side but that's not technically true. The CL helps clarify this discussion where teams are pitted against one another from all leagues. The best against the best. More often than not, since the inception of the European Cup the best sides have usually gone far consistently and won it.

To be the best you have to show you can beat your peers. In the modern age, your peers are not only Stoke or Wigan or Augsburg and Bremen. They are Chelsea, and Barcelona, and Manchester United, etc.

Right...and history supports the criteria I laid out....

Boandlkramer repped this.
  11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it does..........

What the fugg eva!

Next!

12. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

In this quote, are you saying United, Chelsea, Barca, and Milan are good examples of big clubs in Europe as only Milan in that group is amongst those that have truly succeeded a lot in Europe. I would have started with the top 3 in Madrid, Milan, and Liverpool.

Also, while I do like to try to be successful in Europe, I would not want to do it at the expense that so many are these days by selling their souls for these new mega rich owners.

I simply want BVB to give it their best, learn from their previous seasons mistakes to keep getting better but if that doesn't mean getting to the quarters or beyond each year, I will survive and I am sure I am not the only one.

13. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sometimes I wish that the BL never received that additional CL berth. If it's all just about qualing and then just focusing elsewhere, why even bother?

:ninja:

14. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, seeing that we've won the title the past two seasons, your comments really don't apply to us, do they????

And are you somehow implying that Bayern didn't want to win the league last season? I'm asking, not accusing.

15. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Since the inception of the CL, United, Chelsea, and Barca have been among the most successful.

Doesn't exactly have to be this way.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Depends on what you mean by that man.

Chelsea didn't become "successful" in the CL until 2006-2007. They're still "down the table" when it comes to CL success. And I don't mean European Cup/CL success, I mean CL success.

If you mean Barcelona has been among the most successful since 2006, I agree with you.

However, as "recently" as 2004, Barca didn't even make the CL. Compared to their performances since 2006, Barca had a great CL "dry spell" from 1995-2005. In those 11 years, Barca did make the Semis twice. In six of the remaining nine years, Barca either didn't make the tournament at all (3x) or went out after the first group stage (3x). In the other three years, they made the quarter-finals two times and the round of 16 once.

I mostly agree with you on Manchester United. I fully agree if you mean when more than just champions got to play when you say "inception of the CL."

Most I've dealt with mean since the "re-branding" when they say that. Hence, the confusion.

It is obvious Sean meant overall EC/CL records. However, one could argue that if you go back to even just 2003, LFC and ACM would have real arguments to be added to that group. Especially ahead of Chelsea.

You'll probably take this as in insult, but I don't mean it as one.

If a person's memory only goes back four or five years, then yeah, they'll think your comments are spot on.

Aztattooedsean777 repped this.
  17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not sure why that needed to be addressed.

It doesn't matter if Barcelona's success came recently, they will still be regarded as one of the most successful sides since the re-formatting and Chelsea's success is simply being able to reach the semis so often since 2004, specifically since we were talking about what makes a great side. All those years formed the platform for their recent finals appearances and consequent win.

Agree, Liverpool, and Milan could be added. I personally chose Chelsea, United, and Barcelona because they were more recent and probably be Dortmund's competitors but the previous of course also merit a mention.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you aren't.

In Chelsea's case, that's misleading.

What formed the "platform" for any of Chelsea's success was the purchase of the club by Roman Abramowich and Roman opening his checkbook. Chelsea didn't lay any real CL foundation like the other great CL clubs.

Oh, and by the way, the conversation was taken to "what makes a great side." It STARTED with my grading of this BVB team in the list of all time great BVB TEAMS.

But whatever.......

Less recent makes less great??

Aztattooedsean777 repped this.
  19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Right but we aren't talking about finances so unless we are going to submit to the fact that Dortmund will never truly win the CL unless they are bought by a billionaire, it's worthless to have this discussion. Money is certainly one way to start shaping that platform. Money doesn't always bring success though. It's about what you do with the quality of players as unfortunate as the market has become at the end of the day it's still the football and the tactics that win you matches and bring you success.

No... Nobody said that.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait. Since when does the fact behind Chelsea's rise have to apply to Dortmund or it somehow isn't part of the conversation??

Since when you do you get to dictate to anyone what a conversation is about man?

Agree on money and quality of players, coaches, etc. But that still doesn't change the fact that money was the great factor behind their quick rise.

And why I wondered aloud they should be pointed to as a "success" ahead of clubs who still have a more consistent record over the years.

Hence the thing that wasn't said being asked about.

Hence the question being asked if that is what was actually meant. No one accused you of "saying" anything. If you'd said it directly, I would have answered directly. I wouldn't have asked you a question.

Do we really have to specify that questions aren't accusations.....

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What?

What?

What?

Your mind is full of dueling narratives - all of them on extreme sides of the spectrum only perceivable to you.

In history it's but a small footnote, their money. Fact remains they have been an elite side for nearly a decade now. Their opponents don't wallow about their rise due to money. They are just a strong and very good opponent that stands between them and their own goals.

You must realize the way you write is extremely defensive and often antagonistic.

You don't frame questions objectively (Sometimes you footnote your questions with objectivity and friendliness and that's good but in this case you didn't) It was an implication. I don't really care for it other than it slows down and distracts the discourse but you must be aware of it.

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you say so man..........

23. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first paragraph of the article says Reus believes reaching the CL knockout stages must be BVB's "primary target this season."

Yet, when you read Reus's comments, nowhere does he say anything about a "primary target." Also, they lie about the team's comments. The primary goal the players and Klopp have spokeN of for this coming season remains qualifying for next year's CL.

Don't get me wrong. They want to make the knockout stages and possibly do better than that in the CL for sure. They will try hard to do this. We fans want them to do that too.

However, no one at BVB has ever said the goal is "qualification [for the knockout stages]" as Goal.com put in there. I even read the original Bild interview to make sure. Again, the goal everyone speaks of is the goal of qualifying for next season's CL.

When Bild asked Reus "How can BVB rock the CL?" Reus said:

"We have many international players who have gained even more international experience [at Euro 2012], so the quality is definitely there."

"So, if we manage to play BVB's typical brand of football on the highest of stages, I'm very optimistic."

You will find these comments in the Goal.com article. But the part about BVB making reaching the CL knockout stages their "primary target" is bulls#it. Not even Bild added that. Goal.com did.

#clbrainwashing #f&ckingliars

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reus Targets Champions League

Knockout Stages With Dortmund

The Germany international is in no doubt that the German champions can atone for last year's failure to get out of the groups by making a big impact this time around

Click here for the rest of the story.

24. Forum Shark

Forum Shark New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    You need to calm down. This is a fan message board. People are going to give their opinions on teams that they follow. Getting so uppity and confrontational because someone is making a comment regarding the importance of European success makes you sound really foolish.

25. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the fact that this had calmed down long before you decided to become the "Forum Police" shows I'm not the only one who's probably "foolish" here.

Dude, let sleeping dogs lie.

And if you don't know the full backgound of the discussion and its participants, you might try minding your own business.