"But can he win MLS?" - The Jose Mourinho Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by ADiSKOTEC, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white_raid

white_raid Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Basically, this. We are simply not built to play possession, nor do we attempt to, tactically, with our 4-2-3-1, where we only field 2 midfielders, with all four attacking players very high. Now, the question is, do we continue to build our team this way, or do we try to modify our play to a more possession-style play? The way I see it, this counter-attacking approach has its limits. Against Bayern, it was not only Coentrao, as you say, that cost us the final, it was the whole approach. We were unable to mount pressure on them at our home ground; instead, they mounted the pressure on us. Bayern were also missing chance after chance, something they maybe wouldn't have done on another day. Also, we haven't played a big opponent in the last couple of seasons in CL except Bayern and Barcelona, and we haven't gone through, winning only one of the 4 matches. Big teams are able to completely shut down our two midfielders, of which one is pretty uncomfortable with the ball, and the other prefers long passes, effectively isolating all four of our attackers. I think that, since Ronaldo cannot be sacrificed, we would be better off with sacrificing Di Maria and building some solidity and technical ability in our midfield. Also, I don't think that against teams comfortable with the ball it's wise to let them overrun our midfield, since our defense is not exactly without its moments of panic.

natenate101 repped this.
  2. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You can never have 1 approach that suits every match/opponent. A long term project may include a modification of the main tactics but that comes at a cost. First, players are used to a certain approach, so even if they played the other 'modified' approach from time to time, they won't master it to the extent where it becomes the ultimate weapon against teams that have a high quality midfield. Second, in the process of giving the team the chance to 'practice' the modified approach, it might cost you important points. And to have that kind of modified approach for specific circumstances, you would have to sign players that would fit that particular system and not that well in the other.

I think we can still use the same approach but with few additions to the team. As great Xabi Alonso is, he becomes easily neutralized against high pressure. There are very few players who can do what Xabi does, and I will start him in 95% of our games per season, but he isn't the player that can make the system work against (Bayern/Barcelona) types of midfields. Not just them, we also struggled against Rayo-Betis and some others as well. We won, but we weren't controlling the midfield.

Players like Yaya or Bastian would be the type of players that can make things work better under those circumstances, but that's on paper, you would never know until they are in our system, against a quality midfield.

Besides that, Di Maria was awful post-injury. He lost dozens of balls, and made terrible terrible decisions. You cannot make up the 'relative' inferiority in the midfield unless you take the full advantage of the ball once you posses it. He didn't. He made the wrong decisions almost all the time.

I believe that if Di Maria was in his pre-injury form, we would won by a margin despite being outplayed in the midfield.

3. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you guys. A little more flexibility with the tactics this coming season would be welcomed. We need other options when our plan A isnt working.

4. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

The many faces of senor Jose.

azriel, Zidane05, Doni and 7 others repped this.
  5. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^^^^ mou ftw

nicafornica repped this.
  6. nicafornica

nicafornica Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    hahahaha nice.

7. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    As was rumored, Villar has 'pardoned' Mourinho's SuperCopa super eye poke meaning he will be able to coach both legs against Barcelona.

8. raven3k

raven3k Member+

May 31, 2007
    Madrista land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Love Mou when he trolls barca, "I renewed thanks to Barcelona"
    http://www.defensacentral.com/real_...drid-liga-kaka-fichajes-entrevista-barcelona/

9. Jaood

Jaood Red Card

May 4, 2012
  10. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pacino looking more and more odd with each passing year. Legend.

11. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Yeah almost didn't recognize him.

12. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Found this on twitter:

ambro repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Fake.

14. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Marca is also reporting it, which makes it 100% fake :D.

15. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  16. Kasoul

Kasoul Member

Oct 18, 2006
  17. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  18. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    In a recent interview Mourinho spoke of his desire to once again go back to the EPL. I wonder how much of this was a power move to "encourage" the club (Florentino) to do something which he has requested?

This of course is just wild speculation, but Mourinho is very calculated in his interviews and doesn't waste words, usually having a lot of purpose. I also am not a fool and do not believe Florentino and Mourinho see everything eye to eye (which manager and president ever do?). It is obvious they don't, although the do get along well and don't have major differences.

19. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    He did also say that he is happy here and intends to see out his contract. I think he has enough influence here as is, he doesn't need to have any more.

20. *CRistiano9*

*CRistiano9* Member

Feb 26, 2010
    What happens when he leaves we go back to the director of football route or give the new manager the same control Mourinho has?

Even if he doesn't win a trophy this season he won't be sacked, even if Del Bosque got sacked unfairly before even when he won a trophy Mourinho has even more power.

He's never stayed longer then 3 years at a club.

21. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but now, we dance:

[​IMG]

natenate101 and MadridOzil repped this.
  22. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    "Cruyff won with four great canteranos: Koeman, Romario, Stoichkov and Laudrup"

As Sheldon Cooper would say: bazinga!!

23. demogorgon

demogorgon Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Too bad Romario joined Barcelona in 1993 and they won CL in 1992 :p.

24. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005