Burn a Koran day 9/11

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by CHICO13, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    uhmmm, no.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  3. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    That is very nice to hear. I would hope it gets reported.

The question I have is this. Why do we not see larger number of, or any, Muslims counter-protesting the small minority of violent batshit insane Muslims who scream "Death to America" and burn the American Flag. Where there any Muslims protesting the destruction of those those Buddist Statues a few years ago? Where were the Muslims protesting against the burning of the Danish Embassies? Where are the Muslims standing up to the nuts in Pakistans who burned the Christians on a mere allegation of "Koran abuse"?

The public in Gainseville is standing up to our nutjobs. Why do I not see the public in Muslim countries stand up against their nutjobs? If what the nutjobs do is indeed against the laws and spirit of Islam, why is the Muslim public not protecting their religion from those who would abuse it to commit violence.

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
  5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because "People behave rationally. Film at 11" doesn't attract eyeballs.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Some of these Muslims live in countries where teachers get - literally - ripped to pieces for the crime of providing education to girls.

It's naive to think that these people can "protest" in any public way that us Westerners could comprehend or frame within a context we're familiar with.

I remember a documentary about Afghanistan under Taliban rule where a group of women would secretly get together for make-up, manicures, ... and all sorts of other female grooming that the nutjobs in charge would likely harm or even kill them for.

It was something that is not visible to us in the West and perhaps we can not even relate to it in any meaningful way, but that was a form of protest or defiance against the regime.

Obviously not all Muslim countries are quite that repressive, but the notion that all Muslims agree with AQ because their resistance or objections are not visible to us is myopic at best and disingenuous at worst.

7. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's this and there is also not the cultural need to protest something that doesn't directly effect you like there is in Western culture. People tend to mind their own business a bit more.

8. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    That being the case, what conclusion can one reach other than that within these Muslim countries that level of violence committed by the nutjobs is too great and/or the nutjub to peaceful Muslim ration is too high and/or the nutjobs are in charge of the government. Your statement above can lead one to believe that Islam itself is the problem if moderates are not allowed a voice. Also for the sake of human rights, should we stay in Afganistan or just abandon the women to the horrors of certain Muslim sects?

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nice way to remember the 9/11 victims: burning the Korans will only incite more radical muslims. He is just as bad as they are.

10. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    If y'all can't find evidence of Muslims protesting against the excesses of a tiny minority, might I suggest that you try looking for it? I would link you up but I'm without a computer for a week. If you know Arabic or other "eastern" languages you'll find plenty of examples. A google search in the English language will also pull up plenty of examples.

I still hear from people who say Muslims didn't condemn the attacks on America in 2001, which is absurd. If you expect Muslims to turn up at your own doorstep to personally condemn each and every act caused by loons, then you are sure to be disappointed. If your media isn't doing it's job, that's not our fault.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The guy who's burning the Koran and his small band of followers are being dicks, and their actions can certainly be construed as an act of provocation. In fact, in this case it's hard to see it as anything but an attempt at provocation. But, it is their right to burn the Koran here in America, based on a clear principle that America stands for.

If a general of the stature of General Petraeus speaks up, and based on his experience asserts that the act will likely result in putting American troops in danger, then one hopes that these idiots would listen and reconsider. But they are within their rights if they ignore his warnings. That's really all there is to this new controversy.

12. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Der Spiegel chronicles Terry Jones recent escapades in Germany...

Would love to see his Florida congregation follow suit.

13. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There are laws and ordinances, that have been upheld by the Supreme Court, that prevent some forms of provocative protests, that could cause a clear and imminent danger to people. So not all forms of protest are permissible.

Hey wasn't Mr. Jones accused of financial fraud or something while in Germany?

14. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And yet on the other hand you see Muslims burning this asswipe in effigy and shouting "Death to America" when it's only a handful of loons stirring the pot. If we're suppossed to differentiate why can't they?

15. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Who cares about "them" we as a nation should hold ourselves to the best of our own standards...

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I do and I'm sure we do. It's the double standard that is smacking them in the face that's maddening. They have their fringe loonies, we have ours. Neither is representative of either.

17. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You know me too well, Tom. I'm not really on the side of "Burning the Koran is a smart thing to do." I just think that there is a gigantic double standard going on, and it is my job as the resident conservative asshole to point that out. It still strikes me as incredibly sad that those who support the Cordoba House project refer to those of us who oppose it as "bedwetters" who need to "stop worrying about what the big bad Muslims might do." However, in the case of this idiot's campfire, the general reaction from Gen. Petraus to Keith Olbermann and everyone in between and on down sounds to me something like "You can't do that! Aren't you afraid of what the big bad Muslims will do?"

Obviously, I am NOT in favor of this idiot for the exact same reason that I am opposed to the Cordoba project. In the case of heightened tensions and still open and raw emotional wounds, why would anyone with an ounce of sanity choose to turn off the water to a melting nuclear reactor? F the legal ramifications. Wrong is wrong, and spitting on others while shielded in legal protection is still spitting.
    Tell you what. I'll bet you five bucks. Film a buring Bible and Koran together, and put it on YouTube. In 7 days, I bet that the majority of the hatred you get will be about the Koran, and will likely include death threats upon you, your family, and your friends.

18. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Did you miss the hundreds of millions who aren't burning him and shouting death to America? Or are we gonna say those guys are representative of all muslims?

Besides, many countries have reason to shout that slogan, given the foreign policy escapades of the US government the past few decades. I differentiate between the people and the policies, and I definitely hate the policies of the US (and UK and others). Doesn't mean I can't love the citizens (which includes my family in South Carolina, friends in New York and Chicago, and myself and my siblings and parents in the UK).

Nevertheless, I'm not one for such slogans and I've never advocated that people should use such slogans, since they don't explain or express the objections in the correct manner

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's because burning a Bible is no big deal to us Christians. Not after molding a Virgin Mary out of cow shit and throwing a crucifix in urine for the sake of "art"

20. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    This sounds like a good idea. Bring something nice like a gift basket.

They are doing their job. Based on their revenues they are doing it quite well.

21. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    This is true. Isa is probably treated with more reverence in majority Muslim countries than he is in Western countries.

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There's that and the fact that we're taught to forgive those that trespass against us.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You are bedwetters and - for the sake of your blood pressure and to ward off stress-induced diseases like cancer and ulcers - really SHOULD stop worrying about what the big bad Muslims might do. Either way you've pissed yourself. Worrying about it will only make you wet, smelly AND in ill health.

Nice how you lump Olbermann in with everyone. I think even the lefties here will agree that Old Keith ain't exactly consistent on issues of constitutional speech and is a big ol' Team Blue cheerleader. Olbermann is a ******************** trying to cash in on the controversy by riling up HIS base, and by extension, Team Blue.

General Petraus, on the other hand, is expressing his opinion that Pastor Python might keep him and his employees from effectively doing their jobs and might very well get some of them killed. I would expect an employer of people who might be directly involved in the fallout from this action to voice his displeasure. The good General isn't asking anyone to take state action on his behalf, though, is he?

Shit, son. You don't turn ON water to a melting nuclear reactor. That is unless you want a huge steam explosion that will make things infinitely worse. Shove the control rods in and kill the reaction.

Define "wrong" for all cases of "wrong". Furthermore, spitting on others is assault and is thus a violation of their rights, making the spitter subject to arrest. So I'm not really sure what legal protection you're referring to.

24. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what his "flock" is thinking. I bet it's along the lines of "what a dumbass....I aint attending the book burning"...

Still, it is amazing what people will do in the name of religion. Like those idiots in Kansas with the "god hates ********" signs at the funerals of soldiers. People do some amazingly stupid shit in the name of the Almighty, so you never know; they may be 4-square behind it.

I reminds me of the old line from George Carlin: "If Jesus ever does come back and sees what is being done in his name, he'll never stop throwing up".

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Quite possible, actually.