Burn a Koran day 9/11

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by CHICO13, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No. Blame the guy himself, not the media. I'm glad to be able to find out that
    there are still fucktards like this around. I'm trying to avoid being lulled into a sense of false security and this is the wake-up call every person of color needs, not just those who are Islamic.

Said it before, will say it again... when America NEEDS a Bob Chambliss type (one who works for good in this case) there are none to be found.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It'd be poetic justice if someone flew a plane into it (while it was empty, of course- this church might employ non-members as staff or janitors. They don't deserve to be injured or killed).

3. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Perhaps the comparison would be more accurate if the KKK issued a declaration that they would be there with machine guns ready to kill anyone attending prayer service? The mere thought of burning the Islamic "Bible" is ready to set off a wave of anti American violence not seen in years. However, those who simply think a Mosque 2 blocks from Ground Zero should be moved further away are "Islamaphobe crybabies?" I think the comparison is fair, albeit incredibly biased on the side of America in the sanity department.
    I happen to agree. The burning of the Koran solves nothing. If anything, it reduces those responsible to the Jihadist level. Since some moderate Muslims believe in "collective responsibility," they might consider what the outcome of their perfectly legal and constitutionally protected act might be. As for their threats against South Park, it appears to me that Muslims can't take a joke. I wonder what would happen if during large group prayers if someone broke wind.

Point. Why is it that those who support Park 51 are adamant about making the distinction between radical Jihadists and law abiding Muslims, but many of the Muslim faith are either unable or unwilling to do the reverse? Tell you what. If this moronical 9/11 Koran burning happens, and the run of the mill Muslim doesn't go apeshit and blame every American man, woman, and child, that will convince me the Cordoba House is a worthwile project. If, however, the Islamic faith as a whole goes bat shit crazy, as I believe they will if this idiot preacher does what he threatens, it proves to me that building another Muslim house of worship ANYWHERE inside American borders is a national security risk, and that Al Queda has won once and for all. They will have successfully justified murdering over 3000 innocent people on 9/11, let alone the thousands after thousands slaughtered since the end of World War II is an attack on Islam, and an attempt to wipe that religious faith from the planet.

I hope I am being Dick Cheyney alarmist and stupid, but I doubt it. I am less than enthused by the restraint and self control of the Islamic world.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    There's a big difference between the cartoonists and these nutjobs, and your failure to make the distinction says a lot about you as well, imho.

This is a pure provocation. The cartoons were for the most part meant as an artistic expression and/or satire. (although the satirical value of some of them was admittedly debatable).

The only similarity is that both acts are/were protected by freedom of speech.

5. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    We tend to see what we are looking at.

Anyway, I cannot think of any book that could be burned in the US that would set off waves of violence throughout the nation so I can't really see any reason to prevent this from happening. I do find book burning to be quite distasteful given its history.

6. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we have groups of Muslims very close to the burning sight (with close police protection of course) holding signs that just say "we love you anyways". Or something to that extent?

7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That brings up a good question though: Do they? I mean it would obviously be the Christian thing to do, but where do Muslims stand officially on loving your enemies? Umar? Anyone else?

8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who is more fcuked up? The nut job preacher and his 50 mouth breather followers or the media who think this is a story that needed to be reported at all, much less given prime billing.

The media could choose to just not report anything on these people anymore. Let them exercise their rights to burn korans, flags, flaming bags of dog shit, whatever.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, the guy is in Florida. They have psudo-Christians growing on trees next to the oranges there (I know, I lived there). The media would have picked it up there because it is important to local events (police and fire are likely to be there - they probably even have permits).

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    How many is "many"? It seems that there are quite a few people in opposition to Park51 who are unable and unwilling to make the distinction because their vaginas will ache because of the proximity of the non-mosque.

How many "run-of-the-mill" Muslims will it take to shut you up? Because you left a hell of a lot of wiggle room there. Do they have to satisfy all the criteria (going apeshit, blaming every man, woman and child)?
    What is "the Islamic faith as a whole"? What constitutes that? Is it all Muslims in America? What is "batshit crazy"? Does it count if some Afghani Muslims go nuts? Some Indonesians? We need to define terms so you can't play with the immense amount of weasel room you've left yourself.

Your logic is the one of the bedwetter.

With a post like that, elegantly reasoned and perfectly consistent as it is, I don't see how you can avoid it.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Our media's about 30 years past that level of maturity. This mess will be covered from every angle possible

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Actually, they were denied a permit, last I checked...

Officials in a Florida city have denied a burn permit for a church that is seeking to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11.

Interim Fire Chief Gene Prince said Wednesday that the open burning of books is not allowed under Gainesville's burning ordinance.

The Dove World Outreach Center drew international attention after announcing a plan to burn copies of the Islamic holy text on church grounds to mark the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Prince says the church will be fined if the burning is held.

13. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which part? The part where people defended the rights of the mosque-builders or the part where you imply that burning holy books is the same as wanting to build a mosque? Because yeah, that last part does sound pretty stupid.

14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope my brother (doing Tour numero dos in Iraq) doesn't have to deal with any sh*t because of these d-bags. Constitutional rights or not, you'd think they would use some common sense and realize just how bad of an idea this is.

What does this really accomplish? Not a damn thing.

Besides, book burning is one of the ultimate evils anyway.

15. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what I think. The point was we cannot be afraid to express ourselves because some idiot will send a kid into a building with a bomb on his back.

Both are idiots (meaning the book burners and the bombers, I guess I have to add this so you fully understand)

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    No, that is exactly right, and it's why the liberal pundits making a big out of it are being stupid, and why the conservatives who are silent on the topic are being stupid and hypocritical and bigoted.

17. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's hardly the point. If people were burning copies of the US constitution, burning the US flag, and burning the bible... I'm sure many people in this country would be putting up hissy fits and even doing threats of violence. Consistency is lacking.

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    It's not an apt comparison, but we can't prohibit first amendment rights "for the troops sake.

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    How many would actually do violence? How many would riot?
    OTOH, I don't expect American Muslims to do violence either. I hope I am correct.

20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. We'll just have to trust that these "Christians" find an ounce of sense in their brainless skulls, or hope that potentially violent Muslims have the same ability to not attribute the actions of a moronic few to the entire culture that we attempt to foster toward them.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I thought only liberals could be "against the troops." This is unprecedented!

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    When I read that the guys name is Terry Jones I was expecting a Monty Python skit...

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Heh. Earlier I saw one of the signs from Afghanistan in protest and I thought that it was extremely odd that they'd be so pissed about a member of Python.

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Jihadists and "sense of humor" don't exactly go together...

25. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    There really aren't terms. It is a double standard hypocracy. I made the Mosque comparison to demonstrate that. While I would expect American Muslims to be offended if that jackass has his little campfire, I don't think we will see anything in the order of what the greater Muslim world will do or how they will react. You can call my logic "one of the bedwetter," but it doesn't make it any less true. If those building the Cordoba project are truly interested in American ideals, and their community center is not a political slap in the face, they should be able to understand the flip side of the coin. I doubt they will, and I would expect Muslims all over the Middle East to go berserk if this happens.
    You are being too literal, Babs. Generally speaking, we are talking about two actions that are both perfectly legal, and will be incredibly offensive to some. If you remember the first GZM thread, I was afraid that the community center would serve as a powderkeg for loonies to start trouble. If Mr. Flaming Hot Best Seller has his way, it will serve as a powderkeg for loonies to start trouble. That's where the two are almost identical.
    Sure, that's why the far right have been looking for a Constitutional amendment to prohibit burning the American flag. Fortunately, it has never had any traction from moderate conservatives, let alone liberals or progressives. As much as some, including myself, think burning the American flag in protest is a repugnant act, it MUST be protected under the First Amendment. As soon as you start talking about loyalty questions or attempting to define the flag as sacred, you are undermining those freedoms we gained when men much greater than myself, sent a little note to King George III and told him that instead of his subjects, we were a self governing people.

As for burning the bible, does anyone think a majority of the greater Christian world would use Bible Burning as an excuse to launch violent acts of terrorism on non Christians? If you do, and can say that with a straight face, I will concede the point.