Alert: Burch (Sea) Suspended for Remainder of Playoffs

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense, although NBA ran a promo on "stopping the R word" Just surprised since MLS' don't cross the line campaign seems to fit with the leagues "we're the most progressive sports league" rhetoric.

2. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Whatever happened to "You ********ing suck, you piece of shit! You don't deserve to lick the bottom of cleat, let alone play alongside me. I hope you get hit by a ********ing tractor trailer at some point in life you waste of ********ing space"? I don't know about you, but that's a pretty rotten thing to say that doesn't offend anyone.

Jasonma and profiled repped this.
  3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm sure a ton of people are offended by f bombs, you insensitive ********.

Sandon Mibut and KensingtonSC repped this.
  4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not among the primary users on BS. Using the term in reference to a cigarette is virtually unheard of in the US, so asterisking it out isn't going to cause much in the way of collateral damage. That isn't necessarily the case for the "to slow" definition of retard. The "to slow" definition certainly isn't as common as the slur, but it is common enough that it would at least have some impact.

5. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Out of curiosity, does society ever try to use sports to equip the younger generation with positive behaviors that we want them to use later in life? Do we want to teach the younger generation that anything, no matter how dirty or disrespectful, is fair game? If so, then can we really be surprised with the direction this society is headed?

6. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Well, obviously, it would offend the person receiving the insult. In the middle of a heated game, I've said a lot of things, but I never used a racial slur, a homophobic slur, or used a slur like "retard". I've also never insulted someone's mother. To use just these things shows a complete lack of intelligence on the part of the person using them because they simply can't come up with anything better. I think the worst thing I've said in a game is calling someone the C-word, and I've only used it once or twice.

7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I remember years ago, perhaps in a World Cup game, a player acted like he was going to kiss Blanco. Blanco got enraged and, if memory serves me correctly (no guarantee), ended up lashing out at the player. I don't remember if Blanco got called for a card, a foul, or just simply botched a play. Regardless, what I enjoyed about it was using Blanco's own (presumed) homophobia against him. Instead of denigrating a bunch of other people in trying to distract him, the other player simply used Blanco's own bias against him. I got a good laugh out of it.

ji_shuheng repped this.
  8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There's a reason the word ******** is censored here, on prime time television, etc, the use of it apparently is offensive enough that it's worth censoring it, not to the person being called it, but to those who would have to hear it.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, other than the person you're saying it to probably. :D

10. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I'm just talking about one person saying it to another in the middle of a game. I was just trying to show that you can say lots of denigrating things to another player, with or without profanity, where you don't have to use a racial/ethnic/homophobic/mentally-challenged slur or insult someone's mother. Obviously, the f-word is the most obscene (even though I think it's become so mainstream that it doesn't carry the same cache it once did, plus I think the c-word is more obscene because you just don't hear it, but I digress), but if we're on the field of play, if you expect not to ever hear it, ever, then that's just kooky talk.

profiled repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What if they pronounced it differently?

Sounder repped this.
  12. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it had been picked up by the camera/microphone and broadcast over the airwaves, I'd say yes. It's already been noted that some presenters/advertisers are uncomfortable with the *ahem* creative chants/phrases that SG's can be heard bellowing out.
    Imagine if NBCS decided to televise the Special Olympics one year and promoted it heavily during MLS broadcasts...how would the channel/league respond to players or the crowd clearly stating "You're a retard," at the other team?

13. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well was he slowing their progress up the field down?

14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    As a devout A-hole and jerk, I take offense to that.

Sounder repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?

Even heard the term in England, I'm going to smoke a fa*? Slang for cigarette.

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironic how Burch calls Johnson a ****** and everyone gets all butt-hurt over it.

Sorry! I keed, I keed!!

ji_shuheng repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. Be offended. I wish great pain upon you. May a deranged holy man sprinkle sand during your vascectomy.

18. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gimp-icon.png

that's offensive to... sufis?

Allez RSL repped this.
  19. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hachiko repped this.
  20. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you've called someone a ************************, you've insulted their mother. Have you never said that?

21. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    No, I haven't called a player that, nor have I called anyone that outside of a game. Like I said, if you can't come up with anything better than that, you're not going to throw someone off their game.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    If anyone puts an asterisk next to my mom's name, I punch them in the face.

looknohands repped this.
  23. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Aight, I'm an asshole, evidently. I also say bhenchod, which in my dad's language means sister********er. I guess, i'm lucky refs don't understand that.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes no sense.

Wouldn't he logically be a Father Fornicator????

25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't this be moved to the "American's using English Terms", or whatever it's called? ;)