Alert: Burch (Sea) Suspended for Remainder of Playoffs

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Nov 10, 2012.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if some player calls a black player the N word and the referee hears it, he won't red card that player? I call bullshit.

Here's what I think. I wonder if homophobic slurs are really that common. And if they are, then MLS was completely wrong to suspend Burch. You can't just make up rules.

2. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    3 pages and I still don't know what Burch said. Please quote him exactly, or at least give me an idea of what minute it happened.

I've heard worse things come from the stands while watching a game on TV. Anyone see the end of the last Crew game? In this case, the league had no other choice. They can't afford to get "boy"cotted by any minority group, small in numbers as they may be.

3. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three words: Serves. Him. Right.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Plus my 5-year old thinks I'm calling the other driver a "juice bag" so I don't catch shit for swearing in front of my kids!

El Naranja, m vann and profiled repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Allez RSL repped this.
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    How do you know it was worse if you don't know what was said? :)

As for your question, I'll type the answer and see if it gets through BS' filters. "********ing ************."

Edit: Guess not!

http://seattletimes.com/html/soundersfcblog/2019645077_marc_burch_apologizes_using_fo.html

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we live in a society where black men can openly use the "n-word" towards other black men in popular music, can an openly gay athlete use the "fa-word" towards other athletes on the playing field?

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's find an openly gay, male athlete, who's still competing in a team sport and THEN have that conversation.

Sounders78 repped this.
  9. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Who's boycotting the lady who flashed everyone from the Nordecke on live TV? I'm certainly not boycotting it! As a matter of fact, I'm all for more girls flashing on live TV during MLS matches. It'll certainly bring in ratings. :thumbsup:

sitruc repped this.
  10. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By this logic, if I have a car full of passengers and get passed by someone while driving the speed limit, we can arrest the other driver due to the fact that my passengers and I noticed him speeding?

He was caught on video, plain and simple. He can't argue that he didn't use the slur. Now, then, what would have happened had the camera/mike been on him at the time he said it, but the opponent brought it to the league's attention? Simple answer--nothing...unless there's conclusive evidence.

11. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would the league have handed out a similar suspension if it was retard instead of ************? I have a handicapped younger brother and find that to be on par with what was said. Somehow I doubt they would have...

EDIT: Interesting retard isn't asterisked out.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, it is not. There are multiple definitions for retard, one of which is a slur, but the other(s) are not.

Sounder repped this.
  13. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Technically, the same could be said about the fa-word too.

14. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hope the league would, for consistency. It would be an interesting thing to ask them.

As far as it not being asterisked out, I wonder if that is because in French it means "late" - en retard is to be late. I don't know how these programs work, but if there are a lot of French speakers in another part of BS, then I can understand it not be asterisked for that reason alone. If they have different censoring programs for different languages in different parts of BS, then that is another story.

16. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, so why the preferential treatment for one minority group? Only thing I can think of is handicapped people don't buy season tickets homosexuals do...

17. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it is sad that words can't be asterisked out at the whim of Authority. There must be a way for Authority, poor frustrated Authority, not to let mere freedom of speech, or the richness of meaning of words, interfere with a good censoring. Can no one help sad Authority find a way for it to achieve the Triumph of its Will?

18. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I have seen people who have been fired for using the word "retard", including someone who had more than 5 years of service with the company. A lot of companies deem it to be just as offensive as any other negative connotation.

Also, retard has more than just the negative slang meaning. To retard something is to slow it down.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarcasm aside, are you really surprised that a private company gets to set language rules for their own site?

Sounder repped this.
  20. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what you're saying, my OP was about slurs directed at handicapped people not exclusively retard although that is the most common.

21. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Well, retard has more than one meaning, although you have to be of a certain age to still use it as such I think.

22. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would only be surprised if you actually believed that being "private" had anything to do with it.

23. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And I would say you are wrong - people with disabilities do buy season tickets. The difference is that different words are at different stages of social un-acceptance, if you will. Go back and watch a 1970s movie - the n-word was frequently used when referring to black people. The f-word, in reference to gays, has only recently been deemed socially inappropriate (although Hollywood, ironically, feels no qualms about using it still). Slurs directed at people with disabilities are just coming on the radar. In the last few years there has been heightened awareness.

24. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is there a wiki page with a list of approved words for trying to demean an enemy/opponent while still being sensitive to the feelings of everyone but your target?

DoctorD and Sounder repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you suggesting that the government has told Big Internet Group that they need to censor certain words?